What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Friday the 13th: From Crystal Lake to Manhattan (1 Viewer)

Jeff Reis

Stunt Coordinator
Looks like Best Buy totally screwed the pooch on this one. Both my local BB's were out of the set before 2:30PM and I've seen people on other sites saying that their BB only got 6 or 10 copies of this thing. So they go to the trouble of securing an exclusive bonus disc and then don't have enough copies to satisfy even 5-10% of the demand? Ridiculous. I said screw BB and went to Target and picked it up for 54.99.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Luckily, I was home today from work and therefore able to get to my Best Buy at 10 am when they opened. I first went to the "New Release" rack, and there was nothing there. Then I went to the Horror Section, and still nothing. Finally, I grabbed hold of the dweeb I see working there all the time and I asked "Where are the F13 discs?" and he took me to a cart located elsewhere in the store. I counted only 8 sets there. And can you imagine - the thing wasn't even on the shelves!

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

The only thing I've ever heard about White being upset with Zito was over Judie Aronson (Sara) doing her nude death scene in the water. Apparently, she had been out there on a long, freezing cold night and was asking for a break, and when Zito said no, she started crying. At that point, White said he would quit the role if Zito didn't let her have a break to warm up. But I never heard about any other actors being mistreated.

The real reason White had his name removed from the credits is that, after thinking about it, playing a demonic mass murderer just didn't sit well with him. He did the job because he needed the cash, but didn't want to be remembered for it. He's an old-school stuntman (mostly Westerns and war movies) who had doubled for some of the greats like Clark Gable, John Wayne, and Lee Marvin, and he probably felt uneasy about his role in a "sleazy exploitation flick".

-Lyle J.P.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I got to my Best Buy at 11:00 and they were all gone. Or so I thought. I finally found one in the TV section stuck on the South Park rack. This after the clerk told me they were apparently all gone. Someone must have picked this one up and set it back down. My BB only got like six copies.

Ric

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Incidentally, since Part 3 was filmed in scope, how did they incorporate the flashback scenes from Part 2 (which is flat)? Just curious... :)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

It was my impression that that sort of thing just doesn't hold much attraction for Betsy, and that leaving the memories of her original role intact seemed like the better idea in light of what she was offered.

DJ

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
My Best Buy did not have them in the New Releases section, I had to go to the Horror Section to find them. Funny, they had about ten, but it seemed as if two were wrapped and presented without the bonus disk. Thankfully I double-checked mine before purchasing it. Funny that they wouldn't at least display this as a New Release (and no, I didn't get there late and see an empty section by the New Releases, trust me, they didn't put it there at all, b/c NR section was packed full of things.)

Mike

btw - Palisades Mall BB, West Nyack NY

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
When I went to Target they had a little spot for F13 box set and all of them were gone so the girl went in the back and got two more, one for me and one to put out. The minute she put it down someone came by and took it. Haven't had time to watch anything yet but I'll probably approach it the same way I did the NOES set a couple of years back, watch a movie everyday after school and after a week or two I'll have the set watched.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Yes,

Seems this was understocked.

All 3 of our Best Buys, 2 Circuit City's, 2 Targets, and Walmart were all gone by the early afternoon. We live around a very busy shopping area though. One of the near towns is a Test Market area.

Best Buy especially should have stocked more seeing as they directed the most attention to it in their ad's.

You dont run a sale ad for an exclusive Bonus Disc then not even have enough supply for not even one day. Many of the sets at Best Buy dont even have the bonus disc I have been hearing. Didnt matter anyways. All that didnt have the Jason Forever discs were still sold out.

Many who ordered from BestBuy.com didnt even receive it. I would have been pissed, especially since it originally cost more and stated it came with it as well.

Maybe Paramount had doubts about how the set would sell, so only made a certain amount.

But, if the set ends up selling well, well thats good for Paramount which ends up good for the series. Should be glad it's sold out I suppose.

Just not fair to people who were told they were getting a Bonus and then got nothing.

Hmmm. I see these Jason Forever discs popping up on EBay in the future if hardly any exist.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Some positive things to say now that I have the set.

The transfers are of course the best the movies ever looked. All the soundtracks arent bad either. They all work very well for the most part. I was not fond of the 5.1 on 7. Didnt pack a punch though it was still ok. Then again the movie wasnt meant to be 5.1. I opted for the 2.0 instead.

I just dont 5.1 on these films (especially the older ones) would be a good thing. Personally I think it's a waste of money. But, that just me.

Part 6 seems well made production wise. I never noticed this before DVD. The atmosphere is definately there. The colors, look, everything is really good especially on a Sony XBR. The movie even looks like it could have come out the 90s to me. The soundtrack IMO is also very good for being Ultra Stereo. It packed a pretty good punch and sounded very good for Ultra.

The Part 6 cut scene comparison was really annoying with how everything kept cutting on and off. Why not just let the scenes be by themselves? Part 7's were by themselves and Part 6's were much better as in condition. There was also two entirely different sountracks playing with voices repeating the same things like an echo. I have no clue why they had two soundtracks and sets of voices going at the same time.

I did kind of like that Soundtrack on the Part 6 workprint though as well (Like when the guy hits the tree and they do the far away shot). I liked how it played music from Part 4 and also music we never heard before. I wouldnt mind seeing the workprint soundtrack included on an Unrated Part 6 if one happens in the future. I kind of dig it. It also would better seperate the two versions and give off the feeling of different versions of the film. Gave off more of an older horror vibe too.

The set is ok as is and is for sure a decent price for what your getting. The movies themselves (video and sound) are all fine of course.

The problem is that the set just isnt very extensive (you run out of things to do rather quickly) and has me excited for and wanting more to do with it. I just feel like so much more could have been accomplished with more time allowed.

How about some Games? An interactive Crystal Lake which you explore to find hidden easter eggs (no, not the ones the Easter Bunny brings) and try to avoid Jason? Group commentaries for many of the films, unrated verions, 3D version of 3, Tv spots, clips of specials done on the series throughout the 80's, etc. You know. Stuff like that. I would have loved a set like that. Then again, what fan wouldnt?

Too bad about no Friday 3D as some mainstream folk have been asking me to see it in very good condition. I guess I should have never told them some things that might have been on the set last year. Yes, I already own the correct 3D glasses needed.

A great Friday 3 disc for example would be (Friday the 13th Part 3D Rated R (Shown 3D in theaters)/Friday the 13th Part 3 Unrated)/Group Commentary/Bonus Stuff. Maybe one day.

I personally would be dying to see Part 2 unrated myself.

If they do intend to go back and do unrated in the next few years, I hope they dont start with Part 1 first. Why? It's not a very extensive difference anyways and it's already very easy to get.

My suggestion, start with Part 2 (the rarest of the bunch) and then go back to Part 1 when the others (all which are much, much rarer) are finished.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I listened to the group commentary for PART 3 and I enjoyed it very much. Really a lot of fun. I would have liked similar commentary for some of the other films, but alas, this wasn't to be. It's just really bizarre that this was afforded only to PART 3. Anyone recall the details of how and why this reunion was set up?

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Anyone find a glitch in Pt3 when the kids go to pick up their friend? Its right when she asks "whos my date?" The screen pixelates and jumps then returns to normal. The glitch is only a second but annoying.

I bought my set, found the glitch, retunred it (had to go to another BB to exchange it cause mine was sold out). My buddy told me his did the same thing at the same spot.

The set is good. I did want more from the docs though. But im not going to bitch due to the fact this set is more than we have ever seen before.

Oh and I got 2 Jason forever discs from doing my return and gave the extra to my friend since he bought his elsewhere. BB people are so dumb; she didnt even ask me for it.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I ordered from Bestbuy.com and didn't get the "Jason Forever" bonus disc, but I e-mailed them about it and I expect that they'll send me one. The same thing happened when "The Matrix Reloaded" came out and they did send me the exclusive bonus disc in the mail shortly thereafter. I wasn't a jerk about it in my e-mail but I did mention that I preordered early and I pointed out that the offer is still advertised on their site. Given the success of the "Matrix" situation, I'm pretty confident that they'll send me the "Jason Forever" disc.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Heh Heh. I wasn't going to bring things like this up unless someone else did first. I noticed that "Crazy Ralph" seems to get blurry and snaps back to clarity again on the original film, as he rides away on his bike and turns round the corner at the end of the road. I played it back a few times and it did this each time. Mastering error?

Also, so far I've watched 5 of the films. A lot of the times I could swear there is a slight "awkward" quality with some camera/character movements. I don't know if this is my imagination, but I never see this with any other discs I ever watch. I don't know how the info was made to fit on these discs, but thtis was the impression I got every now and then.

Matt-R

Grip

The music playing during that scene in the workprint footage is from the POLTERGEIST score.

I wonder if Paramount secured the rights to that music? I didn't notice any mention of it during the dvd credits(but I wasn't really looking).

Anthony Anderso

Auditioning
quote:
__________________________________________________ _________
It's too bad she didn't reprise the role for FVJ. I mean, at her age, I'd think she'd be pleased just to be in a new and successful movie. Because whether she likes it or not (and I'm not sure how she feels) her role as Mrs. Voorhees in the original F13 is probably what she'll be remembered for, and being seen today in a brand new and successful update of this theme wouldn't have been a bad way to go out, and something she could hang her hat on after she leaves this world.
__________________________________________________ _________

Actually at a recent MONSTER CON in New Jersey in the end of August, I asked Betsy Palmer this very question. She said first, she was only offered what she was paid in the original film in 1980 and that for an actor it was next to nothing as a part. She thought if they really wanted to take full advantage of the character they should have written a part or made it "worth-while". I can see her point. As an actor its is nothin but a glorified cameo, but on the other hand the series isn't high art.

On an off-topic yet related note, anyone know the status of the F13th box at BB in Manhattan?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks