What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Freddy vs Jason (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
What a waste of damn money!!!

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

This was embarassingly stupid!

How did anyone enjoy this movie, how did anyone give this horrible gimmick, any positive reviews!!!

I wasn't expecting an award-winning masterpiece, but I sat on my couch watching the screen with a dumbfounded expression on my face... WTF IS THIS?!?!?

I wish I would have just saved the extra $30 for the upcoming Open Range release. This movie was awful, I should've expected something similair from the guy that directed "Bride Of Chucky" and allegedly never even watched a single film from either Nightmare or Friday series...

No wonder Wes Craven wanted no part of this.

:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

WARNING TO ALL WHO READ THIS REVIEW AND HAVE YET TO SEE THE FILM: RENT IT!!!!

Trust me, I was very much looking forward to this. My expectations were NOT high. I tried very hard to like this movie. IT SUCKED.

I'd nominate Jason Goes To Hell for an oscar in light of this ridiculous, cliche, obvious franchise-exploitation.

Way to bank off of someone else's achievements without apllying even the slightest hint of creative insight or dexterity.

Sleepaway Camp 3 meets The Faculty.

Don't pick this up on a blind purchase!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
PS: did Warners blow their entire budget on the cheesy mtv style camera effects and ugly fake looking cgi sequences that they couldnt afford to cast anyone with even minimal acting skill?

Whoever actually scripted this thing should be beat over the head with a slab of 40 year old salami.

Also, when did Freddy hire the Wachowski brothers choreographer?

ColeKR

Stunt Coordinator
Wow it sounds like you didn't enjoy this at all. Did anybody find the easter eggs or are they just your standard click on the new line logo to get dvd credits?

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
I lvoe this movie! How could anyone hate it? If you went into expecting Citzen kane or even Dawn of the Dead then I don't feel bad if you didn't enjoy it. Now I thinka Destroy All monsters remake with the 80's and 90's Horror Icons is the way to go. Here's whoo I'd use:

Freddy
Jason
Michale Myers
Leatherface
Creeper
Chucky
Pinhead
Critters
Tall Man
Ash
Vampires
Werewolves
Zombies

In fact I allready have a pretty good story. Watch Jason Goes to Hell, Freddy vs. Jason, hellraiser 3 Halloween 3 and 6 and finally Texas Chainsaw 4 for the dangling plot threads that I would use to bring the monsters together. Here's a hint it involves the druids, the necronomicon and the hellraiser puzzle box.

In fact if new line got the rights to Ash threw in leatherface and the critters. Plus a few vampires, zombies and werewolves into F vs. J 2 they could have a mini-destroy all monsters film. Godd it'd be somuch fun if the studios all brough the monsters together. Oh well.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
I found one easter egg on disc 02. I believe it is on the production featurettes menu (to the right of the text).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I have the disc on order and glad that it got a good review! I loved the movie in the theater.

In light of Marco, who didn't like it, I have a friend who was the same way, said the film sucked and wasn't scary and a crappy horror film.

It is NOT a horror film! It is a MONSTER film! And a classic at that! The fact that the plot is sort of neat is secondary to the fact that we get to see the monsters fight! And do they ever! IT really was better than it had any right to be, which is such a bonus!

My only beef with the dvd (and it's not really a beef as I've not watched it, and have no idea what alternate footage exists) is that it's not uncut. I can't be the only one who found that the bush party ended abruptly!

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Russell,

The guy who runs the official Friday site stated that there was definately more to the rave scene... I was also able to tell... The scene just ends out of nowhere...

There was also a ton of character development that was cut out... Then again, this group of teens was so boring to begin with it probably wouldnt have added much anyways...

The original workprint clocked in at 2:35 or something around there...

So you figure a whole hour of the movie is missing... The script was also longer and was stripped of much of the development and some of the scenes... An interview with the writers state that a few really good moments with Jason at the camp, etc. were cut from the script... Things were changed... In the original script, Freddy doesnt have much power in the real world (like Nightmare 1) and has to find conventional ways to fight Jason and survive...

Originally, Jason was going to be the much tougher one at Crystal Lake (which is really how it should have been)... Freddy having as much power like he did in the real world didnt really even make sense if you go by the mythology and past of the character...

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Freddy Vs. Jason was really made for the fans and I think it was really pretty fairly balanced between the two, even they way they meshed the themes of the two series into one uber-theme...cool.

Also, it's interesting to note this is only the second Jason film to be shot in 2.35:1 and the first time Freddy has been seen in this aspect ratio. However, I doubt 1.85 could truely hold both of these icons! :D

T r o y

Supporting Actor
This DVD must have a serious soundtrack , otherwise, Widescreen Review wouldn't have given it a 5+ on the sound dept.

Widescreen Review don't usually give out 5+ ratings for audio on many dvd's. And this one being a DD track must really be something else.

After hearing it, what do you guys think? Is it a 5+ ? Explain.

Later!
Troy

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
What a waste of damn money!!!

This was embarassingly stupid!

How did anyone enjoy this movie, how did anyone give this horrible gimmick, any positive reviews!!!

I wasn't expecting an award-winning masterpiece, but I sat on my couch watching the screen with a dumbfounded expression on my face... WTF IS THIS?!?!?

I wish I would have just saved the extra $30 for the upcoming Open Range release. This movie was awful, I should've expected something similair from the
guy that directed "Bride Of Chucky" and allegedly never even watched a single film from either Nightmare or Friday series...

No wonder Wes Craven wanted no part of this.

WARNING TO ALL WHO READ THIS REVIEW AND HAVE YET TO SEE THE FILM: RENT IT!!!!

Trust me, I was very much looking forward to this. My expectations were NOT high. I tried very hard to like this movie. IT SUCKED.

I'd nominate Jason Goes To Hell for an oscar in light of this ridiculous, cliche, obvious franchise-exploitation.

Way to bank off of someone else's achievements without apllying even the slightest hint of creative insight or dexterity.

Sleepaway Camp 3 meets The Faculty.

Don't pick this up on a blind purchase!
Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel...

but I'm actually going the other way, I'm excited to see this even though I didn't catch it in the theater I'm going out tomorrow to hunt down a copy.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Troy,

I only have 2 front speakers on my TV as my home theater and the movie sounded great...

Even though I didnt care for the movie personally, I am sure it sounds very good with an actual Home Theater... I would have loved to hear the movie at it's best soundtrack available with a good Home Theater system...

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I'm looking forward to renting this one , if for the sheer fact of seeing these two go at it at each other.

Also, the video on this one received a reference video rating. A 5.0 . So I'm also eager to see how the video and audio are on my setup.

Later!
Troy

ColeKR

Stunt Coordinator
OK the other easter egg is in the deleted scenes section. Instead of play all go down to the arrow and press up. A blood splatter should appear on the Elm St. sign.

TedT

Second Unit
I gotta agree with MarcoBiscotti. Saw this last night and man oh man, was this bad! I thought Jason X was amazing, but this was just horribly written dialogue and horrible, horrible acting. The Freddy vs Jason stuff was tolerable. Well better than tolerable, but I just couldn't get over the horrible acting of all the kids in the film.

There was a Jay (as in Jay & Silent Bob) ripoff that was completely stupid and a Jack Black ripoff character that was equally stupid. That was too much. I love cheesy B-movies and "bad" movies, but this one goes to e-bay. For me to notice bad acting, it has to be really, really bad acting.

TedT

Second Unit
what about just a wrestlefest of all huge horror film classic villians. It would be a huge rumble *though studio rights would be a nightmare to obtain *
They already have this in Japanese wrestling. I forget which promotion (IWA?) They got Leatherface (when he comes out, he's weilding a chainsaw), a Freddy Kreuger guy, and a Jason guy.

For me to notice bad acting, it has to be really, really bad acting.
hmm. where was this keen sense during Jason X. the acting is probably the worst out of all the friday movies. some of worst lines include

"this sucks on so many levels"
"ok, new plan. you hold him and i run"
"what are you high?"

i loved freddy vs. jason and thought the acting was laughable in most parts, but not nearly as bad. im not attacking you by the way, just giving my two sense.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Just opened up my disc and am gonna watch it shortly. Saw the insert and thought it would make an awsome wallpaper. This is hosted off my home account, so lets try and keep the link from floating to other forums pretty please.

1600x1200 - 1024x768 - 800x600 available here

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
some of worst lines include

"this sucks on so many levels"
"ok, new plan. you hold him and i run"
"what are you high?"
dont forget...

"get undressed and dont make me ask you again!"

"freddy: noo... that was my kill!!!!"

"freddy vs jason, place your bets..."

"no... welcome to my world bitch!"

"i felt bad for jason, freddy was drowning him..."

"i dont know but that dude with the machetti was pissed about something!"

:rolleyes:

what a damn stupid movie.

how the hell was this made for the "fans"?

this was made for 14 year old papa roach fans.

when i got to the computer animated gloworm with the cgi bong, i knew right away it was time to hit the stop button.

the scriptwriters mustve been high themselves to come up with something this stupid.

the way they had freddy narate everyone of his actions as though this movie was being filmed for a bunch of retards... "oh, no! im not strong enough yet... but dont worry, ill let jason take care of this until i regain power!"

this was like 60s batman dumb.

this movie turned both characters into a bunch of sissys and totally killed whatever integrity the franshice had.

freddy jumping around like keanu reeves meets macho man randy savage and elbow dropping jason with the the loud rock and roll music blaring in the background...

that idiot lochlyn munroe running around in a police uniform with the silent bob imposter...

those cheesy slow motion action effects that looked like they were straight out of discovery channels "when dinosaurs roamed the earth"...

destinys child givng mouth to mouth recessetation to jason vorhees...

what the f**k!

ill stick with the classics from now on thank you.

i humbly give this waste of film, 2 very enthusiastic thumbs down.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks