What's new

HTF REVIEW: Frasier - The Complete Seventh Season (1 Viewer)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

Frasier - The Complete Seventh Season

Studio: Paramount

Year: 1999 - 2000

Rated: NR

Length: 8 hours, 45 minutes

Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1

Audio: Dolby Digital English Stereo

Closed Captioned

Special Features: None

Suggested Retail Price: $39.99 USD

Release Date: November 15, 2005

Frasier’s seventh season was its last exceptional outing, providing generous laughs throughout the season and resolving a long running gag in the show once and for all. Unfortunately, it’s that resolution that fundamentally changes the show for future seasons, and relegates the show from it’s elite status to being just another sitcom. It’s not that the show got bad after season seven - however, it wasn’t compelling enough to schedule a weekly viewing.

Never mind that, for now - because this season still has some fresh episodes. Here are some hilights...

In the season opener, “Momma Mia”, Frasier falls for a woman with a striking resemblance to his deceased mother - and he doesn’t realize it. Of course, this leaves plenty of room for Niles to relate many references to Oedipus.

In “A Tsar is Born”, Frasier and Niles believe they may be descendants of Russian royalty after The Antiques Roadshow evaluates one of Martin’s family heirlooms. Of course, the real truth turns out to be somewhat less than flattering.

“The Late Doctor Crane” finds Frasier dealing with erroneous media reports of his untimely demise after a car accident. Meanwhile, Niles confronts his ex-wife’s plastic surgeon about a bill - and it’s love at first site.

In the two part storyline beginning with “Backtalk”, Frasier, delusional after taking pain pills for an injured back, reveals Niles’ secret love to Daphne. Of course, he has no memory of the gaffe the next day. Meanwhile, Niles’ romance with Dr. Mel Karnofsky has advanced to an alarming degree, leaving Daphne a bit confused.

In one of the funnier episodes of the series, “RDWRER”, Martin, Frasier and Niles take a trip in the Winnebago. After a stop at a truck stop, Niles accidentally boards the wrong motorhome, and goes cross-country with an unsuspecting older couple.

In “They’re Playing Our Song”, Frasier goes typically overboard when asked to write a new theme song for his radio show.

Another one of the best, “Out With Dad”, finds Martin pretending to be gay to avoid a woman, only to be set up with another man. Gloriously filled with farcical stereotypes, this episode really lets David Hyde Pierce shine.

The two part finale, “Something Borrowed, Someone Blue” finds Daphne’s wedding to Donny endangered by her love for Niles. Outstanding episodes.

The Transfers
The Video for Frasier season seven is essentially identical to recent previous seasons. Contrast is good, with good definition in the whites as well as in the shadows. The picture is adequately sharp and detailed. Color saturation is good. there were no compression artifacts of note in the random episodes that I screened for this review.

The audio is Dolby Digital 2.0. Frequency response is good. Dialog sounds great - clean, clear and broad in range. Music sounds excellent, with good bass response. This sounds as good as one would expect a TV sitcom to sound.

Special Features
Sadly, there are no special features.

Final Thoughts
The last great season of Frasier is well represented in the A/V department, though the set is devoid of special features.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Got it and I’m already into disc 2. :D

Don’t remember which episode it was but the biggest laugh I got this season to this point is where Frasier wants to pretend that he loves animals and tries to force Eddy into his arms, the way that dog shows no emotion and stays stiff was hilarious! :laugh:

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Finished it. I kind of liked Mel and thought she was perfect to be with Niles, she was funny. Surprisingly I didn’t care much for the resolution and I’m a sucker for these! Mel wasn’t that bad!

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator

I'm sorry to hear this... I was planning on going for them all (and already have the last one) Can I ask, is this a general view or just you Scott?

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I'm wondering if the Frasier box set's sales are about to slip or already have ? Most people familiar with the series know it went down in quality so I'm curious as to whether that will be reflected in fewer sales for the later seasons.

I'll likely be getting them all, though.

John Carr

Stunt Coordinator
I just finished Season 7 and it's right up there with the best of the Frasiers! I thought the resolution was long overdue and should lead to some interesting complications...

I stopped watching Broadcast TV in the mid-90s so all these episodes are new to me from Season 5 on. Ocassionally, there's a weak show (one that doesn't tickle MY funny bone), but overall Farasier is the most consistent sitcom out there! I love this show.

I'll keep buying them until they're all released. I've held off on Season 11, but I'm going to get that next time I see it on sale.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Since 11 has already been released and most Frasier fans will want through Season 7 because of Niles & Daphene, that basically only leaves three more sets to release before being finished and even if it slips with the Season 8 release, that only leaves two seasons for them to release and they will probably feel obligated to finish the last two seasons up.

Paul

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

General view. This series takes a nosedive after Niles & Daphne hook up but there are occasional flashes of brilliance (like The Doctor is Out from S11).

I just took a peek at the ep guide. I'd forgotten Out with Dad is in S7 (for some reason I thought it was S8). It's on my top 5 list of Frasier's funniest eps (I'd put this behind Ham Radio & The Ski Lodge). My collection is thankfully done with this release! :emoji_thumbsup:

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Just bought it. I own season 11 also but haven't even opened it to watch that season.

Now that after I am reading after Frasier isn't much on the radio after season 5, I have been liking Martin more.

Don't like how we never see Maris.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
Noticed this season Kelsey Grammer changes the lyrics.

Now he says Quite stylish instead of Mercy.

Hey Baby I hear the blues a callin
Tossed salads and Scrambled Eggs
Quite Stylish or Mercy

And maybe I seem a bit confused
Well maybe, but I got you pegged
But I don't know what to do
With those tossed salads and scrambled eggs

They're callin again

Good Night Seattle we love you
Good Night Everybody
Or Good bye.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Oh, I thoguht the idea of never seeing Maris was brilliant. It allowed them to do whatever they pleased with the character without ever having to cast her. I think it was one of the show's best recurring gags. Although this was not an original idea by any means. Norm's wife Vera was never officially seen on Cheers. In one early episode you hear her voice and in a Thanksgiving episode we see her face covered in holiday food.

Also, on the The Nanny, I don't think Fran's father was ever seen as he was always watching tv or in the bathroom. Sometimes sitcom characters should be heard (about) and not seen.

Wezzo

Second Unit

That's not new to this season. Those lyrics have been varied since the first season. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks