What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Finding Nemo (TOTALLY RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I know a lot of people are bagging on Disney's attempt to get this movie a Best Picture nod. I'm not saying it should win. But I don't see why it can't be considered. This is a beautiful film. One thing that I think goes missing about this is all the underlying stories and how well done they are.

I recently saw the debate regarding "Radio" and other films which take apart a mentally or physically challenged person in an attempt to be "inspirational". I'll be honest, most of the time I find it so offensive I have to stop watching. Having a brother who is physically disabled, I know what life for the disabled is really like. How peole can react, and how you live. By the time my brother was in school, he had more then 100 bone fractures and was a dwarf, to grow no larger in size then about 3'. Wheelchair bound, he went in every day and made it through (to graduate magna cum laude in college, win a National Geographic state bee on his way there.. anyway, the point of the story is that disabled people aren't looking to be "inspirational stories" they are looking to live their life as best they can, and make as much of it as they can. Hollywood misses that time and time again with these prop up films. Nemo is one of the few films in the theater that I literally cried at as Nemo made his journey.. I think it went under the lens that here was a disabled character and the disability was not made into a major "ordeal" or "cross" for the character to make them inspirational, and the character simply wanted to go on and not worry about it. That's much closer to real life then some of the movies you see... including the "based on a true story" films. If every film could present disabled characters as just "trying to get along" we'd be so much better for it.

Ok, that's my tirade for the thread.. needless to say, I'll be rooting for Nemo to at least get considered. :)

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
After Monster's, Inc and Toy Story 2, I'm starting to expect awesome bass from Pixar DVDs. I've seen a couple posts about "good bass extension" on this thread... any more specific notes about impressive bass stuff?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
While the extras downright suck, the video quality is exceptional. The sound isn't too shabby either, while not reference quality but still solid.

I have already seen it twice in one day, looking to watch in in the next couple of days to view the commentary.
??? You state that the extras are horrible and then note that you've not actually watched all of them?

The supplements aren't great, but to say they "downright suck" is absurd...

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Did anyone notice the music playing in the "Incredibles" sneak peek trailer is an exact copy of the theme music from the James Bond film "On her majesty's secret service"?
Yes, it is the OHMSS theme. Trailers routinely use music from other films, so this is not unusual in itself. However, it's important to note that John Barry, the composer of OHMSS among many other Bond films, will be scoring The Incredibles. :emoji_thumbsup:

David Galindo

Screenwriter
any more specific notes about impressive bass stuff?
The bass catches you off guard, like the scene with the tapping on the glass in the aquarium, or the pelican flying into the window.

The "expected" bass...like the explosions...is very good. Great audio overall :emoji_thumbsup:

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the bass can be downright scary in a few scenes, including the tapping on glass mentioned above, as well as the scene involving the whale.

Very loud, deep bass that will definitely give your sub a workout!

:emoji_thumbsup:

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Watched it last night... all I can say is WOW!!! :eek:

Like Rob, I've kept tanks for years. The accuracy of the undersea life and the lighting and such is downright amazing! :D

Gotta watch it again! :D MINE! ;)

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I was kind of dissapointed in this film when I saw it in the theater, but watching it last night, I absolutely loved it. I finally figured out why. In the theater, I was more focused on keeping my 3 year old son from moving arround or talking. This time I got to enjoy the film. And what a great film it is. Absolutely loved this one.

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Just to add my voice to the chorus of people who love this movie. This was the best film of the year for me (with Matrix Reloaded right behind it and, of all things, Pirates of the Caribbean behind that). Of course, Return of the King will hit in December and then poor Nemo will be blown away. But till then, it's my favorite of the year. :)

Anyway...Just tossing in my $.83 (inflation, you know) about the compression problems that have been mentioned. I don't see a great deal of mosquito noise except in clouds here and there, and some in the whale's mouth. I do, however, see several very apparent incidents of color banding, nearly all of them in scenes of the wide-open sea. This is on a progressive-scan Sony player run via Silver Serpent component video to an Avia-calibrated Mitsubishi 48" RPTV.

The color banding upsets me a little because it kind of smacks me over the head and drags me out of the film. In the other 95% of the film, however, I have to call the video presentation absolutely beautiful. Brilliant colors, lush tones, deep blacks, very little edge enhancement that I could see. And when there's lots of different colors onscreen, the color banding just is not there. Only seems to appear in scenes with a very gradual gradation from one hue to another over a wide area of the screen.

I'll try and give some timecodes when I get home from work if people are looking for specifics. The bottom line, though, is that I love the film regardless and I can sort of deal with color banding when the rest of the film looks so beautiful.

cheers,
Phil

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Like Rob, I've kept tanks for years. The accuracy of the undersea life and the lighting and such is downright amazing!
I still can't get over it Tony! Perhaps the guys at Pixar own Reef Tanks as well?!

I am looking forward to checking out the "Virtual Aquariam".

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it could be interpreted that way.

And I agree that giving them a healthy environment to live in is important.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
I think Nemo looks great. In fact, I'm amazed at how good it looks given the limited NTSC color pallette (which I suspect is the cause of the brief banding problems here and with Lion King).

-Reagan

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Catch of the Day! Walt Disney Pictures Presentation of a Pixar Animation Studios Film FINDING NEMO Sells 8 Million Units on DVD & Video in First Day, Becoming Fastest Selling DVD & Video Ever

BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 5, 2003--On its first day of availability, Walt Disney Pictures presentation of a Pixar Animation Studios film, FINDING NEMO sold 8 million units on DVD and video in North America, it was announced today by Steve Jobs, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Pixar Animation Studios (Nasdaq:PIXR), Michael Eisner, Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company (NYSE-DIS), and Bob Chapek, President of Buena Vista Home Entertainment. The 8 million units sold to date has FINDING NEMO "swimming circles" around the previous industry record of first day sales of 5 million units previously held by "Monsters, Inc.," also a Walt Disney Pictures presentation of a Pixar Animation Studios film. Based on this first day sales figure alone, FINDING NEMO is now on track to be the best-selling DVD and video of 2003 and the top selling DVD of all time.
****"We couldn't be more excited about the overwhelming success of FINDING NEMO," said Pixar CEO Steve Jobs. "Andrew Stanton, Lee Unkrich, Graham Walters and the Pixar crew have created an amazing film that has touched the hearts of millions."
****"The computer-animated blockbuster that captivated adults and children alike with oceans of fun continues to deliver with its debut on video and DVD, which just goes to show the power of blending superior story telling with cutting-edge technology," said Michael D. Eisner, chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Company. "FINDING NEMO's position as the #1 movie in the U.S. so far this year makes it no surprise that there's such a high demand for this film from consumers and retailers alike."
****President of Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Bob Chapek added, "We're thrilled that the public has embraced the FINDING NEMO DVD and video in this wonderful way. We are working furiously around the clock with our duplication facilities to keep up with this overwhelming consumer demand across North America." Commenting on the first day sales record, Chapek added, "With the tremendous support by both retail and consumers this new day one record reinforces the admiration that audiences have for this wonderful film."
****Disc one of this Collector's Edition features the 'widescreen' presentation of the film and includes a visual commentary with deleted scenes, features on the creation of the film, virtual aquariums, art galleries and more. Disc two features the 'full frame' version of the film and includes a family-friendly menu of games, underwater explorations, fish encyclopedia, virtual aquariums and more. This tidal wave of laughs, adventure and heartfelt emotion is available on DVD for $29.99 (S.R.P.) and on VHS for $24.99 (S.R.P.).

James USAF

Agent
help me out please. Trying to figure out if there is something wrong with my DVD player/TV.

I have read majority of the posts to see if others see the problem I do. Sorry...but this is going to be plain english as I do not know all the tech jargon.

On the widescreen version...time 13:12...I noticed as clear as day a bunch of black dots below the dad's right fin. I have seen these "black dots" in other areas as well...but the above was just so obvious.

Is this normal? Compression artifact? The reason I ask...is because I have never really seen errors on other DVD's. Granted...this is the only CG movie I have (aside from Shrek).

Sooo...what I want to know is....is it time to replace my DVD player? Like I said...I do not recall seeing this type of stuff on other DVDs. This particular problem though is clear as day.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
8 Million copies on the first day!?

Impressive. Very impressive.

So, what does Pixar have in store for us next?

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Pixar has anything on the docket for home video until after "The Incredibles" is released to theatres on November 4, 2004. It's going to be a long time till the next release! And, the Disney-Pixar talks seem to be at a stalemate.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Actually you answered my question Peter...I didn't know what their next theatrical release was.

A long wait is right!

:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks