What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Final Destination 2 (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Final Destination 2

Studio: New Line
Year: 2003
Rated: R
Film Length: 90 minutes
Aspect Ratio: 16x9 Enhanced Widescreen (1.85:1)
Audio: DD Surround EX, DTS 6.1, DD 2.0 Surround
Subtitles: English

Final Destination was far from a classic horror film but it did deliver some goods, which made it a sleeper hit at the theater. However, like most horror films from the past three decades, producers couldn’t leave well enough alone and as we all know, if a horror film makes money then a sequel is bound to follow. Three years after the original film fans got Final Destination 2, which comes off as a pointless and graphic remake rather than a sequel.

It’s vacation time so Kimberly (A.J. Cook) decides to take a trip to Florida with three of her friends. While on the highway Kimberly has a premonition of a deadly car accident, which will kill several people including herself and her three friends. Thrown into a state of shock Kimberly refuses to drive any further and within the matter of seconds a chain reaction wreck takes place and the entire road is filled with fire and death.

Kimberly’s friends are killed but she’s saved due to Officer Burke (Michael Landes) who pulls her from death right before it would have taken place. Although her friends are dead Kimberly is a hero because she saved the life of everyone behind her on the road. However by doing this she has altered the plans of Death who will have to go back and fix things by killing those who were saved. Together Kimberly and Burke must find a way to save the others and destroy Death before it can take its toll.

As with the case of many cash-hungry sequels, if you’ve seen the first film then you pretty much know what to expect out of this one. The storylines are pretty much the exact same and the movie really doesn’t try to hide the fact that it’s very unoriginal due to it being basically a remake more than a sequel. However, like the first film this one here has a very intriguing story dealing with cheating death that at least makes it watchable throughout. Just because the story is interesting doesn’t mean anything else works though.

What I really don’t understand about this film is the graphic and over-the-top gore, which fills the screen every time it comes for someone to die. I’m a die-hard horror fan and gore has always played an important part in various slashers but Final Destination 2 isn’t a mindless slasher but a wannabe intelligent film that tries to be a serious film. The director throws tender moments at us along with a lot a funny moments yet at the same time we get very graphic violence, which serves no purpose at all and comes off very mean and cold.

Within the short running time we get heads ripped off, eyes poked out, explosions, torture, bodies ripped in several pieces as well as young kids being killed. All of this leaves nothing to the imagination and at first its rather shocking but before long you’ll be rolling your eyes and asking yourself what’s the point to all of this. The further the movie goes the more gore is thrown at us, which eventually becomes laughable and takes away what the film was trying to accomplish. Gore is never scary and it's not a good idea to use it when trying to make suspense or fear.

Final Destination 2, outside the useless and tasteless violence is of course very stupid but in my opinion it’s everything a Hollywood film is today. While watching the thing you might find yourself having a good time but three minutes after the credits role the movie is all but forgotten and you really can’t remember too much about what you’ve just seen. I’m fairly certain had this film been made thirty-years ago some small time director would have made a very intelligent film about Death. This film however is too worried about being hip to a younger crowd that it’s virtually pointless. As for the CGI, in case producers don’t know, there’s a guy named Tom Savini out there that could have done many of the death scenes a lot better and made them actually look real.

VIDEO---The film is shown widescreen (1.85:1) and is enhanced for 16x9 TVs. This film had a modest budget but you certainly wouldn’t know that with this brilliant transfer from New Line. There isn’t a single flaw with the print, which is certainly one of the best I’ve seen in recent memory. The color detail is very strong with bright vivid colors and razor sharp imagery. The darker more somber scenes also look terrific without a bit of grain. A P&S version of the film is included on side B of the disc.

AUDIO---The sound is available in DD EX 5.1, 2.0 and DTS ES 6.1. Whichever option you decide to listen to will certainly give your speakers a wonderful workout and wake your neighbors up as well. The key sequence audio wise is the auto wreck at the start of the film that gives a wonderful three dimension feel that puts your right into the action. The surrounds are perfectly used to where we hear every little piece of glass hitting the ground and each dent put in the cars. The DTS option for this scene is certainly preferred over the 5.1 due to more aggressive use of the surround effects. The rest of the film sounds pretty much the same with both tracks.

EXTRAS---The film has been given the “Infinifilm” label, which means all sorts of goodies are added. Up first is an audio commentary with director David Ellis, producer Craig Perry and screenwriters Eric Bress and J. Mackye Gruber. The track is fairly interesting due to the different personalities that are constantly telling stories. There’s also the Infinifilm fact track that tells us various things about the film but I find these things a bit boring and useless. The Terror Gauge is a 14-minute segment that’s quite interesting. Three people are made to watch this film with a brain reading device to show the effect horror films have on people. Cheating Death: Beyond and Back is another very interesting segment that features interviews with real people who cheated death. This is actually a lot creepier than the film itself. Chose Your Fate is a silly game that gets old very quickly. Bits and Pieces: Bringing Death to Life runs nearly 30-minutes and talks about gore in the history of horror film but pretty much focuses on this film. We get to see how the effects were made, although no one ever mentions why they were needed in this film. Finally we get two music videos, a theatrical trailer and a trailer for the first film.

OVERALL---The film itself is pretty much the first one all over again but that’s not the main problem. The very graphic and mean spirited violence is simply uncalled for in this film and that there pretty much ruins any fun the film had going for it. However, even if you hate this film with a passion New Line delivers a must own disc with some of the best sound effects I’ve heard in any track. The flawless picture quality and heart-pounding audio makes this a wonderful disc to show off your Home Theater.

Release Date: July 22, 2003

Charlie B. Ch.

Stunt Coordinator
However, even if you hate this film with a passion New Line delivers a must own disc with some of the best sound effects I’ve heard in any track. The flawless picture quality and heart-pounding audio makes this a wonderful disc to show off your Home Theater.
Thanks for the review Mike. I was thinking that I would only rent FD2. But based on the quote above, I guess I am buying a copy tomorrow.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I gotta' disagree with your thoughts on the gore, as I thought it added a lot to the fun. Anyways, this and SPUN are the two discs I'm definitely picking up later today!

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
The flawless picture quality and heart-pounding audio makes this a wonderful disc to show off your Home Theater.
Nothing like a good gore fest to look good. I've never seen the first one so I suppose this will be new to me :)

Thanks for the timely review!

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Justin. Although kids shouldn't watch this, I thought the ridiclulous death sequences were one of the best parts; much like the first. Granted, it doesn't add much realism to the story itself, but trying to figure out how it will happen actually draws you into the scene.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
If it wasn't for the over-the-top gory death scenes then Final Destination 2 would be terrible. I actually thought that was the best part of the movie!

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I also must disagree, the violent death scenes are what this entire franchise is about. Without that, it is just another 'everybody dies' movie. Instead we the audience are constantly trying to figure out who, when and more importantly, how the next victim is going to get it. This movie was a scream to watch in a packed theatre and as soon as that crash ended I knew I wanted it on dvd. From the sounds of this review, they delivered. Can't wait to hear and see this. :D

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I guess I'm in the minority on this but I do love gore films. I grew up watching various slashers from the 1980's so I certainly don't mind violence and gore.

However, most gore films like F13 and THE PROWLER aren't trying to be anything more than gore films. They are very simply because a group of bad kids show up somewhere and they are killed off. This is a simple format and the director's aren't trying to do anything special with it nor are they trying to make us following a story.

FD2 has a workable story that could make for a very good horror film and a very good drama. The graphic violence for me sticks out like a sore thumb and takes away the suspense and any reality the film was going after. Worse however was how mean spirited the violence is. Films like I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE, MANIAC (1980) and even CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST used mean violence but I think there was a point to it. I'm still not sure what the point of the violence in FD2 was for. For mindless gore however, I really don't want a story mixed in with it. Give me a story with scares or give me a bloodbath but it's really not a good idea to mix the two. Mario Bava's TWITCH OF THE DEATH NERVE would be one exception however.

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
I thought the death scenes were much better in FD2 then FD1. Many times I was at the edge of my seat, wondering how exactly the character would die (the kid going to the dentist is an example).

Thanks for the review,
Dean

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
I basically agree with Michael. I'm a big fan of the original film, and am not typically offended by gore. The problem with FD2 is that while it tries to be serious most of the time, the death scenes are played for comic effect. It's a horror movie that's only serious when it isn't portraying horror. So the whole thing just becomes a hateful countdown between executions--FACES OF DEATH: THE COLLEGE YEARS. It negates terror because it's not concerned with survival.

Mark

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Jason Adams
I think that was a sort of vicious review. I didn't think the film took itself seriously at all, well maybe for the end, but for the most part I didn't think so. And the gore is the FUN part about these movies! I will be picking up both the first and second Final Destination movies.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I think that was a sort of vicious review. I didn't think the film took itself seriously at all, well maybe for the end
A real slasher, F13 for example, doesn't have character's giving speeches about life. We don't see people as any real form of object except for someone that is going to die. Director's of these films don't try to make us cry or feel bad when someone dies. That's the problem with the violence in FD2. If the director was trying to make us feel something for the characters (ala a drama) then there wasn't a point of having graphic deaths.

Again, I'm sure I'm in the minority but I personally feel that gore takes away suspense and any serious that a film might be going for. I know several people consider films by Lucio Fulci as "scary" but the silly gore effects always killed the atmosphere for me.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Do your self a favor, if you haven't bought this movie DON'T. This is by far the most pathetic sorry ass movie I have seen in a very long time. Just like most have said it is just over the top, & quite lame. I am so pissed at myself for wasting the money on this piece of crap movie. New Line :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: This is the biggest waste of my time & money, I was rather disappointed within the first ten minutes of the show & I really don't know how I set through the whole thing.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Just got finished watching this. I enjoyed it, and am looking forward to watching the wealth of extras on tne disc. I enjoy the gory death scenes - they're creative.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Again, I'm sure I'm in the minority but I personally feel that gore takes away suspense and any serious that a film might be going for. I know several people consider films by Lucio Fulci as "scary" but the silly gore effects always killed the atmosphere for me.
You may wanna leave your opinions at the door for some of your upcoming New Line reviews then, as they are releasing a bevy of horror flicks both theatrically and on DVD in the next few months, and I don't think a single one of them is gonna take the "less is more" approach. Good review, though. Looking forward to your future reviews...just thought I would let you know that a deluge of gore flicks in the same vein as Final Destination 2 are heading your way.

My take on Final Destination 2:

Picked this up for my brother. Great cheeseball gore film.
Complaining that the film is mean spirited is missing the point of the movie. It's just a cheeseball gore flick...you watch it to enjoy the black humor and to see the filmmakers come up with imaginative ways to knock off their two dimensional characters. It's black humor in the Evil Dead vein.

The auto crash scene at the beginning is incredible in DTS ES. Reference qulity audio right there

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I bought it for the incredible car crash at the beginning, which was simply incredible in the theatre. Beyond that, the movie is entertaining enough, but like others said the serious mood of the film is off-balanced with such absurd death sequences.

At least FD1 kept it somewhat real...I can see a person slipping and accidently strangling himself on a panty line. Or getting hit by a bus. Okay, so the teacher's death was...well, extreme...but you get my point.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
You may wanna leave your opinions at the door for some of your upcoming New Line reviews then, as they are releasing a bevy of horror flicks both theatrically and on DVD in the next few months, and I don't think a single one of them is gonna take the "less is more" approach. Good review, though. Looking forward to your future reviews...just thought I would let you know that a deluge of gore flicks in the same vein as Final Destination 2 are heading your way.
I'm certainly looking forward to those CRITTERS films as well as TCM3, which will hopefully have some of the workprint scenes. I think the New Line VHS was the "X-rated" cut but the workprint had a few extra scenes, although they didn't feature any sound and the picture quality was very poor. The director of this gave a very good interview on the TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE: THE SHOCKING TRUTH documentary, which is out in R2.

The "less is more" isn't what I'm expecting from too many horror films. It works in something like HALLOWEEN, which goes for scares but it wouldn't work with something like silENT NIGHT DEADLY NIGHT because this film is about gore and T&A. I just don't think a mindless gore fest should feature a mother crying over the death of a love one. It really gives off wrong feelings.

I had a couple friend over last night and they all got a kick out of the car crash scene. This is certainly the best scene I can think of to show off the speakers. After this my friends realized why I spent so much money. :)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
The thing I loved about both of these movies was, and don't flame me for it, is the "Inspector Clouseau" type deaths.
Sure they were all over the top but that is what makes this movie fun. Otherwise it's just another Scream/MTV type horror flick.
I give it a :emoji_thumbsup:
oh, other than that, great review Michael ;)

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Mike, glad to hear you are hoping to review Critters and TCM 3, I'm very curious about both of them in terms of content and quality.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Just picked this one up tonight. Haven't watched it yet, but for those who have, please post your thoughts on the audio quality. I've read this one is pure home theater sound nirvana!!:D

Troy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks