What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Field of Dreams - Anniversary Edition (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

PaulHSmith

Auditioning
Thank you to those who posted about the Wal-Mart deal. Got mine for just under $15. I may have gotten the last WS version on the shelf. Hard to say since they kept them in a locked case and the clerk had to look through most of them to find a WS.

Rod

Agent
I bought the new anniversary DVD at Wal-Mart yesterday and have not had a chance to view it. However, there is a screen shot comparison posted at dvdbeaver.com. Look at the shot of the players coming out of the corn field - the corn stalks, the lines on the catcher's chest protector and the blades of grass. You'll see a clearly sharper image on the older version. The reviewer criticizes the new disc for too much facial red tone, however I don't find this to be evident in the screen shots posted.

-Rod

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Just got back from my lunch break, where I went to Wal-Mart and picked up the 3-disc Field of Dreams set for $18.98. They had only one or two copies in widescreen and several copies in foolscreen. Too bad Best Buy didn't score the bonus DVD - score a point for Wal-Mart!

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
I just got back, it cost me $16.87 plus tax, and they also had quite a few in WS. Thanks for the tip about the extra DVD everyone (first seen in Coupons & Bargains).

-Christian

Ravi K

Supporting Actor

The slight redness to the skin tones is apparent in the last shot of Ray Liotta and the one of Amy Madigan. It doesn't look like it will be too distracting (I have yet to watch the disc).

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The cover on my dvd case was not aligned properly on the spine......is everyone else's?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Scott,
Mine was fine. It was pretty difficult to find a widescreen copy though :frowning:

I don't buy dvds hardly at Walmart anyway so it was only a minor annoyance.

Saburo

Auditioning
Real Name
Greg
For those who live in Hawaii...

Wal-Mart Mililani had ZERO widescreen editions. I mean, it was a complete shutout.

Fortunately the Kunia store had a few on a rack, although I would say three-quarters of the copies there were fullscreen editions. Good thing I didn't get lost on the drive from Mililani...

Of course all sets (WS& FS) had the "bonus" third DVD which contains the exact same documentary that's on my laserdisc version. (The rest of the disc seems like filler.)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I have to admit to only scanning the disc however my impressions are less than favorable!

It's defintely an improvement over the noise inflicted previous edition however i'm disappointed that the skin tones were still reddish and not very sharp!

I'm sorry but you can't tell me that Universal couldn't have sprung for a new print of this one? The picture is dark and not clearly defined!

A real lost opportunity!

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Just watched the 90-min doc on the exclusive wal-mart disc. I must say it's the most valuable bonus disc that I have come across.

But I am hoping that having exclusive discs does not become a new trend.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
So wait... The new transfer is crap...???
Great. My sis just picked this up for me today.

Oh well, maybe the 20th anninversary version....

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the commercial running on tv says the picture is a new digitally remastered picture.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I watched many of the extras last night and viewed the film this evening. I definitely do not think this transfer is "crap," especially when compared to the old DVD. Colors may be a bit saturated at times, but black levels are solid and reveal TONS more detail than the old disc. Aside from a handful of somewhat soft interior shots, the overall image is uniformly crisp and clean. The DTS surround track is splendid, too! Considiring that this film was made in the late Eighties for a relatively modest (even by then standards) $14 million dollars, I think this movie looks and sounds pretty darn good. I saw Field of Dreams twice theatrically, and I think the visual presentation of the new DVD compares favorably with what I saw on the big screen. The audio, I feel, surpasses the theatrical version. YMMV.

Gary

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I checked out a couple of features on the bonus third disc, particularly the "Fathers and Sons" featurette, and that one is emotionally powerful. Just watch the reaction of the actor who portrayed John Kinsella during the featurette - that speaks volumes right there. This is one of those featurettes that is less to be simply watched and more to be experienced.

Why Universal didn't turn this into a full-blown 3-disc SE for general release to begin with, instead of limiting the bonus disc to the Walley World, is beyond me. Oh well, this is one time that Best Buy lost out on the really good stuff.

Zachary Cohen

Stunt Coordinator
Ugh. Had no idea about the Wal-Mart bonus DVD. :frowning:

Checked Ebay...someone is selling it alone for $30 dollars.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know where I might find those double-disc sized amaray keepcases similair to the packaging of Field Of Dreams ONLY with that extra side flap disc tray which sort of hangs out on the side?

I want to pick one up so that I can turn this into a perfectly packaged 3-disc set.

Also, does the paper or cardbard slip packaging which houses the Wal-Mart bonus disc leave any noticeable markings or blemishes on the backside of the disc at all?

I remember when I picked up those exclusive Muppet Baby discs at Target last year, they were also packaged in a similair cardboard slip case and every single one of them had markings and blemishes on their flipsides.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks