HTF REVIEW: Father of the Pride - The Complete Series

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matt Stone, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

[​IMG]
    Father of the Pride: The Complete Series
    Starring: John Goodman

Studio: DreamWorks
    Year: 2004
    Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1 (Anamorphic)
    Running Time: 3 Hrs. 48 Mins.
    Rating: NR
    Audio: 5.1 Dolby Digital (English), 2.0 Dolby Digital (English)
    Subtitles: English, French and Spanish
    MSRP: $29.95
    Street Date: 7 June, 2005

Review Date: 11 June, 2005
    (Ratings are out of five stars)

Summary
    Father of the Pride is a show about a family of white lions who live in Las Vegas and work for Siegfried and Roy. The patriarch of the family is Larry (voiced by John Goodman). Larry is joined by his wife (Cheryl Hines), her father (Carl Reiner), two kids, and his best friend Snack the gopher (Orlando Jones).

DreamWorks’ all CG animated show opened to critical disappointment and low ratings. I didn’t watch the show when it originally aired and while I don’t think the show is nearly as bad as some said, it doesn’t really have much interesting going on. The voice acting is fine, and the animation is fantastic, but the humor and story just never really comes together. I’m sure the costs of the animation process far outweighed whatever popularity the show managed to achieve, and I think it would have been really hard to maintain it over a long period of time regardless of the ratings.

It’s not all bad though. There are plenty of funny moments throughout the series. The stuff with Siegfried and Roy (Julian Holloway and David Herman) is always over-the-top funny, but the family humor never really sustains itself. That’s a shame, because Goodman provides great vocal talent. The show never really decides whether to go completely over-the-top (ala Family Guy, Futurama) or to be a restrained family-friendly comedy. As a result it never comes across strong either way.

Film Rating: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Video
    Like most other DreamWorks releases, video quality is top notch here. I would put it up there with all their other CG animated releases (Shrek, Shrek 2, etc). As I mentioned in the summary, the quality of animation was fantastic. I’m sure the show was just as expensive to create as the DreamWorks animated features, and that expense really shows up on the screen.

Video Rating: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Audio
    Nothing to complain about here either. It didn’t knock my socks off, but the 5.1 track was very impressive for an animated sitcom. The audio quality is just as strong as the video. Surrounds and LFE were active when they needed to be, and the voices sounded great. DreamWorks rarely falters when it comes to this stuff.

Audio Rating: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Extras
    Side A:
    Original Pilot Episode (with optional introduction commentary from Rob Cohen, Jonathan Groff, Cheryl Holliday, Jon Pollack, and Jon Ross)
    Side B:
    The Siegfried and Roy Fantasy Movie Experience (~22 Mins) – Appears to basically be an extra episode.
    Revised Pilot (~22 Mins)
    The Lost Tale (24:37) – An entire episode in storyboard form.
    Commentaries – Available on Possession, Road Trip, and the Revised Pilot (Jonathan Groff, Cheryl Holliday, Jon Pollack, and Jon Ross)

Extras Rating: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

In Closing…
    The show wasn’t nearly as bad as I was expecting. There were plenty of chuckle moments, and John Goodman’s voice work was great. Much like DreamWorks’ animated feature films, the audio and video quality were both top notch. If you liked the show when it originally aired, I definitely recommend you pick this up. The price is pretty good for all you get. On the other hand if you weren’t interested in the show, you might want to give it a rental first.

Overall Rating: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Matt Stone
    11 June, 2005

2. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    Thanks Matt...
    I been going back and forth trying to decide if I want to get this one as a blind buy. I am not 100% convinced yet... but I am really thinking about checking it out. [​IMG]

3. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    The first few episodes of this were really uneven, and as Matt mentioned, one of the big problems was they couldn't figure out the tone they wanted the series to take.

However, for me the show really started clicking at about the fifth or sixth episode. It became consistently funny at that point. Of course, by then it was too late as far as ratings go.

As far as TV-on-DVD blind buys go, I would compare this with Fox's "Greg The Bunny", another short-lived show which suffered from severe inconsistancies in tone. But the $20 I dropped on it were still worth it as each episode contained several laugh-out-loud moments. I feel the same way about FotP - a worthy failure worth checking out for those interested in this type of material.

4. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    Thanks Craig...
    Between the review and your comments... I think I will go ahead and place this in my wishlist so I remember to grab it. [​IMG]

5. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    too bad they didnt show this show in order chronologically(ugh)

the pilot never aired.

the show was got bumped a few times.

not as clever as shrek 1 but still god.

the humor was more for adults then kids or even young teens.
    lots of sexual innuendo and not veiled very well, on purpose.