What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Far From Heaven" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
It seems then that Universal US are going the same way as Universal UK - we have not had an insert in ANY Universal release since "Jurassic Park 3" (even if the US release did include one - and quite often the US release would include director's notes etc as well as simple chapter lists.)
The company's reason for this was that all the info is ON the disc so they do not need to print it as well.
Is this "penny-pinching" or "thinking of natural resources"?hmmmm!

I noticed this week that the latest UK Universal releases (like "The Bourne Identity") now have smooth cases inside - there are no longer any clipy things where inserts are normally held in place.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
The Alliance (Canadian) version does have an insert. Too bad with Universal's decision to not add insert. Dreamworks also didn't include an insert for Ringu. :frowning:

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
Ron - thanks for the DVD review - the DVD & film seem visually and dramatically intriguing, and you got the idea across without giving away any spoilers.

Mark - thanks as well for easing my mind about the content. I held off seeing this one, I confess, despite being intrigued, because I get nervous when well-reviewed films get into gay characters unless I've read gay-press reviews (haven't on this film). I hate it when cliches and stereotypes undermine an otherwise fine film. I didn't know what to expect with this one, and your stamp of approval is the kind of assurance I was looking for. It sounds like this one is a thinking person's film. I look forward to picking up this DVD.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Aw man, just when I thought I would going to get off light this week, I see this thread and will be snapping this up this week. I just got my TV calibrated as well, so I'm very curious to see how the TV handles this film's color palatte. :D

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Just picked up this disc today and watched it and was blown away by the movie...the characters...the emotion...wow...brilliant film...and throughout the film I was just like: "I cant wait til I get my new HDTV set...cause this is gonna look amazing." :)

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,your review is dead on accurate.I took a chance and rented this one.The acting is superb and I saw colors pop out of my HDTV that I never imagined.A beautiful film with a wonderful cast.What more could a forum member want.Thanks Ron.:)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Doug-

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :b

Several of my fellow gay friends did not like
this film, in part, bothered by age difference I noted
before. I have never worried about images of gay people
in a "representing the community" manner. I only care
about a writer/director creating what is "the truth"
for the characters and storylines s/he creates.

Haynes has done this, and I bless him for it.
(And he lives in my town! Now, if I could only get
his phone number...) ;)

Mark

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
I rented this last night and curiously enough have watched it back to back with Red Dragon also.

Have not heard of the movie and rented it based on Ron's review here. A great find and captivating storyline, although I am not a big fan of movies from the 50's. But the story more than made up for the "look" of the movie for me.

One question ... is the director, Todd Haynes, gay?

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, I wish I'd hurry up and get mine. I ordered it from North American DVD in Toronto, they charged my credit card on March 28, and I still have not received it!

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I went to Wal-Mart to pick it up today but they didn't have it! The only 4/1 releases they had were The Wild Thornberrys Movie and Red Dragon! :angry: Oh well, I got the Simpsons Season 2 Boxed Set as a consolation. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks