What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Family Guy" Volume One (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I really enjoyed the commentaries(even better than Futurama & Simpsons)
I just wished we could get all of the Family Guy commentaries

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
My theory on the dropping of commentaries is that on the few I heard he made some derogatory comments concerning the President. Perhaps in a time of war FOX didn't want that type of thing being heard and cut some more racier commentaries concerning the President. I'm pretty sure these were recorded before the war. That's my theory.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Thanks for the link, Gord. Best news from the interview: the unaired "Weinstein" episode WILL be on the next release! :D

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised no one has commented on the "real" reason Seth missed the doomed 9/11 flight. When the stories of that first came out his travel agent was blamed for the mixup.

Gord

Matthew Furtek

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the interview Gord, it was very insightful. Hopefully there will be more commentaries (and more of the ones they had) on the next set. It seemed like they were very edited when I went through and listened. It didn't seem like Seth, etc. were all that interested in just watching their TV show.

Matthew Furtek

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Yes! I just picked up my copy at Best Buy yesterday and have already watched the first 2 discs and am in the middle of #3, this is one terrific show! :laugh:

The Debeers commercial spoof had me freakin dyin!! :laugh:

I also must commend Fox for the treatment this series got, it looks unbelievable on my 48" 16x9, except of course the jaggies that pop up for the reasons given earlier. One could almost drown in the colors that are so bright and vibrant that you have to pause the show just to stare at them for a moment! :eek:

Now, I did noticed that one entire episode so far had a drop in quality that was sustained throughout the entire episode, I believe it was the 'Y2K' episode on disc 2. It wasn't jaggies per se', but rather a very soft look, softer than the other episodes that proceded it, and it also had noticable dot crawl, almost as if it came from a composite source. It was especially evident during the open credits and the Fuzzy Door emblem at the very end.

Anyhoo, I love this set overall and can't wait for the rest of the series! When will that be exactly? I haven't bought any of 'The Simpsons' dvd's, I like this show better, I like my animated shows edgier and this fits the bill to a T. :)

I think i'm going to draw a really big picture of Stewie on my desk at work, I think i'll produce faster with that kid staring at me threatening to kill me! :laugh:

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Yay! The Weinstein episode is on the next set! I was holding out on the R1 just in case it wasn't gonna be included, so then I'd have to get the R2 to satisfy the completist in me. But now I can buy the R1 version with confidence.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
[Q:]Any chance we'll see the pilot presentation on there?

[Seth:] It was discussed, but the problem is there's only so much room. If you jam too much stuff on those DVDs it starts to affect the quality of the episodes themselves. It was either that, or the deleted scenes and since the presentation is essentially everything that you see in the pilot itself, there isn't really any new material, just more crude designs. We figured the fans would rather see the characters as they know them in scenes they were able to see on TV. It was an either, or and we chose to put the deleted scenes on.
Why can't they just include another disc for the extras? The current set seems to be selling well. Including an extra disc wouldn't cost that much, would it?

EricW

Senior HTF Member
it was worth reading the interview just to finally confirm that Stewie is heard by all. i'm not a huge fan so i never knew this. i think there was one episode that Stewie helps Meg with her homework that prooved it, but otherwise, nothing. anyways, i don't have the set yet - does the commentary explain why they switched voice actresses for Meg?

Ian_H

Supporting Actor
- does the commentary explain why they switched voice actresses for Meg?
There was another interview with Seth on a website that mentions it. It was something along the lines that Lacey Chabert couldn't commit to the show. I'll try to find the exact link.

-Ian

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm enjoying the FG box, but the commentaries are awful. Long stretches of silence throughout. I just played the commentary for "Holy Crap" and I think there was a total of 5 minutes of commentary for a 22 min ep. WTF?

It's almost like not only did Fox drop the commentaries for most of the eps, but cut out huge chunks of the few commentaries that were left behind. I mean, you don't even hear them laugh at any of the jokes.

Sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks