What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Evil Dead: BOOK OF THE DEAD" Limited Edition *Special Review* (1 Viewer)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Damin: are you saying that if the director of Willy Wonka expressed his preference for pan and scan, you would be perfectly happy with a pan and scan Willy Wonka disc? Because I can't imagine that the majority of HTF would be.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Damin: are you saying that if the director of Willy Wonka expressed his preference for pan and scan, you would be perfectly happy with a pan and scan Willy Wonka disc? Because I can't imagine that the majority of HTF would be.
i do not speak for "the majority of HTF," but i want any film to be presented in the manner which the director prefers. the end.

DJ

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
What's with all this "horizontal pan&scan" gibberish? Movies shot flat are matted (99% of the time) for theatrical exibition, and have been for about 40 years. I can almost guarantee you that what few theaters played Evil Dead matted it to 1:85.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Aaron, I should have prefaced my statement with "In America..."

I've heard European cinemas regularly crop films to 1:66. Over here, however, I've never seen a film displayed in 1:66. Filmmaker's intention or not, flat films are projected at 1:85. Even then, horizontal composition varies wildly within the 1:85 frame.

It's just not something to get upset about, especially in a zero-budget flick like this one. IMO, or course.

Brian

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, if a major director like Stanley Kubrick demanded that the video release of his movies be full frame, I'm sure the the HTF members would be furious. :crazy:

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
You can pre-order it at Suncoast and Media Play stores right now for only 29.99 as well. No shipping and handling either. :)
MTFBWY and HH!!
Mike

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Anyone who wants the movie at its "other" aspect ratio can find the Elite Special Edition DVD cheap. I have two versions of Army of Darkness, and I guess I'll end up with 2 versions of this one too!
I guess I'm not the only one! Now, I guess we need a 2nd version of Evil Dead 2 so we can have 6 DVDs of 3 films :D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
$29.98 at DeepDiscountDVD.com. Man I love that retailer...
$27.99 at Best Buy, and almost sure to be discounted during it's first week of release. Hmm...no thanks to DDD!! :D
I wasn't even thinking about getting this, but after Ron's review I'm now toying with the idea of buying it. Two of my wife's best friends are definatley picking it up and they can't stop recommending the film. As to DVDFile's review of the transfer, I've seen many an HTFer disagree with what DVDFile reviews said about picture quality, so I'll get off the fence when I see other opinions.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Chad-
I believe that the BOTD edition is NOT NUMBERED, but it will be discontinued sometime after it is released... can anyone clarify this? Thanks. :D

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
The Evil Dead was, in fact, shot in 35mm.
I'm not sure where you got this information, but it's incorrect. The film (which was actually originally planned to be shot on Super 8 and blown up to 35mm for theatrical distribution) was unquestionably shot on 16mm. Rob Tapert was the one who suggested shooting on 16mm, and one of the cameras (if not the only camera) used was an Arriflex 16mm. This is all pretty well documented...

GregK

Screenwriter
Bruce Campbell has also made it VERY clear in his

book that the first Evil Dead was shot in 16mm.

Will K

Screenwriter
OK guys, it appears that I may have jumped the gun here. Looks I may have been confused with the fact that 35mm prints were struck a few years back and used for the Elite disc. My bad.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
$27.99 at Best Buy, and almost sure to be discounted during it's first week of release. Hmm...no thanks to DDD!!
Dave,
Not to be combative, but the last time I checked sales tax in Tennesse was 7.75% which brings the total to $30.16 :D Plus, DDD will usually get it to you the Saturday before release, if you preorder far enough in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks