What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Eurotrip (unrated) (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Eurotrip (unrated)

:star::star:1/2/:star::star::star::star:

Studio: Dreamworks
Year: 2004
Rated: NR
Film Length: 91 minutes
Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1)
Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, Spanish, French
Retail Price: $19.95

Scott Thomas (Scott Mechlowicz) has just graduated from high school but his plans for the summer change when his girlfriend announces that she wants to break up because he’s just too predictable. Things get even worse when he attends his final high school party only to be embarrassed to see his ex making out with a band member while singing a song making fun of their relationship.

With everything going bad at least Scott has an internet buddy to talk to but his real life buddy (Jacob Pitts) warns him that the internet is nothing but perverted men trying to lure young boys. Scott sends this friend a hateful e-mail only to wake up the next morning and realizing that this perverted old man is actually a hot, young girl who wants to meet him. With nothing else to loose Scott decides to take a trip around Europe in hopes of catching this girl so that he can have the best sex of his life.

The teenage sex comedy has been done so many times the past twenty years that it’s hard for a new one to try anything new. I went into Eurotrip expecting a stupid, dumb and obnoxious film full of dirty jokes, sex, drugs, alcohol and breasts and that’s exactly what I got. The film doesn’t offer anything new to the genre and the cast isn’t overly appealing but if you don’t mind offensive and raunchy humor then I’m sure the film will bring a few laughs.

The one thing that the screenplay has on its mind is beautiful young girls flashing their breasts at every possible opportunity. These scenes pop out of anywhere and this includes a dumb blonde in a spa, a freakish sex shop in Amsterdam and a throwaway shot at a nude beach. What does any of this have to do with the actual story? Not a thing but in a teen sex comedy there’s no reason to show nudity except to give the viewer a cheap thrill and this film offers several cheap thrills including the virginal male getting his first sexual favor from an innocent looking camera shop girl.

Outside the all important nudity we’ve got several attempted comedic scenes with some outright hilarious while others fall flat on their face. There’s a constant bashing of gay humor throughout the film from our hero being warned that German’s will molest him before killing him and one of our stars actually gets molested on a train. Characters are constantly being told they’re gay and even the sexy Michelle Trachtenberg is mistaken as a boyish character who gets tapped into the homosexual jokes. Other offensive comes from the stereotypes of various countries including the UK’s brutish Soccer fans, a psychotic German truck driver and even the Pope is made fun of.

The biggest problem with the film is that not enough of the laughs fall into that hilarious mode because we’ve seen them countless times before and like the lead character, everything is just way too predictable to catch us off guard. The greatest and most shocking scene in the film happens between a brother and sister, which is so outrageous that not even a comedy from the 1980’s would have tried. This one scene is probably worth sitting through the other 90-minutes and it’s something that won’t be easily forgotten. Eurotrip is your typical, offensive comedy that is worthy enough of one viewer even though we’ve seen this countless other times.

VIDEO---The film is shown widescreen (1.85:1) and is enhanced for 16x9 TVs. Once again Dreamworks delivers a very nice transfer that while not reference quality still manages to be a lot better than what most other studios are delivering. The colors levels are very vibrant throughout with wonderful detail that really shows off the various locations in the film. The film has various settings and all of them come off looking terrific thanks to the transfer. The outdoor locations are wonderfully bright and three definitional looking with the colors bouncing off the screen. The black levels are very rich and deep without any softness to be spotted. The scenes with the train entering the tunnel go completely black, which is usually a time we would see speckles and other problems but that’s not the case here. There’s some minor edge enhancement but it’s hardly noticeable unless you’re looking for it.

AUDIO---The Dolby Digital 5.1 track is good enough for this type of film but don’t expect anything to blow your speakers through the roof. The dialogue is clear throughout without any scratches or other issues. The Surround use is rather weak but there’s really nothing in the film that would be able to stand out. The one spot I found the soundtrack rather weak was when any songs were being played because they weren’t that upfront and you’d expect a newer track to blast these songs but the music is buried in the Surrounds without much of a punch.

EXTRAS---Filmmakers Jeff Schaffer, Alec Berg and David Mandel offer us two commentary tracks and both feature a different purpose. The first track is a technical track where the men try and discuss the moviemaking process for any young filmmakers out there. There’s some pretty interesting stuff being talked about here but it gets rather tiresome fairly quick. There’s some interesting talk about the differences between the R-rated cut as well as the uncut version, which is included here. There’s also some interesting information about why the DGA wouldn’t allow three director’s credits in the film. The second commentary is a “drunk” track where the three watch the film while getting drunk. I’m sure this was meant to be funny but this here is really obnoxious. The three basically drink beer, say dirty words and don’t say anything else interesting.

Up next is a gag reel that runs just over five minutes. These gag reels are among my favorite extras but this one here wasn’t all that funny. We get the normal line goofs but none of them are outrageous enough to be that funny. Up next is an alternate ending, which I somewhat enjoyed more than what was used in the film but I guess this here wasn’t sexy enough for the feature film. There’s an optional commentary here and the scene is shown widescreen but isn’t anamorphic. Next up are thirteen deleted scenes, which also feature an optional commentary track by the directors. Most of the scenes are extended jokes from scenes in the actual film and thankfully most of them were cut. The best scene is one featuring Michelle Trachtenberg as she removes her shirt trying to get someone to give her a ride. Sorry but no nudity here guys.

Nude Beach Exposed is a behind the scenes featurette about the nude beach scene that has plenty of behind the scene footage as well as interviews with the directors as they explain how male nudity is funny. There’s plenty of nudity here so keep the kiddies away. How To Pick a Director goes into more detail about something brought up in the commentary. There were actually three director’s but the DGA wouldn’t allow this so the three come here and show how they picked who’s name would end up on the film. This is rather interesting and certainly something I haven’t seen before. Eurotrip Bootleg is without a doubt one of the most interesting extras I’ve seen. The director’s bought a DVD bootleg copy of their movie in Chinatown and here on the actual DVD they review the thing. Why on Earth anyone would buy a bootleg film is beyond me because the quality is so poor that it’s good that a studio would use a real DVD to put down bootleggers. The director’s also have a F.U. for those out there who record films from the theater screen. The Music of Eurotrip features a sing-a-long to “Scotty Doesn’t Know” as well as a music video for the song. Also included are your typical cast bios, production notes as well as a photo gallery, which is pretty useless. The script is also available for you to read. For some reason a theatrical trailer either wasn’t included or it’s hidden as an egg, which I couldn’t find.

A bonus feature for the unrated version is a nudity scene index as well as an unrated scene index. This way you can jump to what’s different from the R-rated version or you can quickly jump to your favorite breast scene. More studios should follow in the footsteps of Dreamworks by doing this.

OVERALL---Eurotrip was nothing original but if you like these mindless teen comedies then I’m sure there’s a few funny moments here for you. Dreamworks delivers another sharp transfer as well as a nice, if soft sound mix. The extras are just as entertaining as the actual film especially the bootleg version of the film.

Two DVD's will be available on 6/1/04. There's the theatrical, R-rated cut (90m 2s) and an unrated (91m 45s) version. All of the above extras are on the unrated version but I'm not sure how many will be carried over for the R-rated cut. Naturally the nude scene index and the uncut index will be missing.

Release Date: June 1, 2004

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
Whatever. This movie was hilarious and much better than I expected. With all the unrated and extended editions coming out, I know it's becoming a common complaint ... reviewers who can't tell you the differences between the films. I know you guys do this stuff for free, but it's really the one thing we're most interested in (with this movie or any other), what are the differences between the unrated and theatrical?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I can certainly let you know the differences:

1. The spa scene at the party. In the R-rated cut the scene starts with the girl in a top. In the uncut version the scene starts off with her topless and ends with her playing with her breasts. As it states in the commentary, this was shot two ways. One meant for theaters and one meant for DVD.
2. The nude beach scene has more frontal nudity.
3. Little brother (Bert) says the "F" word.
4. The scene on the train has an extra shot of the man's behind.
5. One extra shot in Bratislava dealing with a naked man.
6. In the hotel room, Cooper watches a TV show where two girls are kissing.
7. Brother/sister kiss is longer.
8. The morning after there is an extra joke.

#1 and #7 are the only things that got extra laughs out of me. As I said earlier, I've simply seen this type of film way too many times to find it hilarious, although I did enjoy it for what it was. I'm not sure how much fans will get out of an extra 1 minutes and 43 seconds. The majority of that time is in the first scene. Most of the others last a few seconds.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
David,

I hope that your less-than-polite remark and
question were properly answered by our reviewer
who indeed does all of this hard work for practically
nothing.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I agree that this movie didnt break any new ground and contained its share of jokes that fell flat. However this was one of the funniest movies I saw this year and can't wait to pick it up. I think most people would probably enjoy this at least as a rental.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor

I agree. And it was nice to see a teen comedy in which nobody was showered in or being forced to digest body fluids of any kind.

And they actually hired German actors to play the Germans - you have no idea how painful it is to listen to an American actor pretending to be speaking German.

When I read the disc specs I was hoping the "party commentary" would be a cast commentary - getting a "drunk directors commentary" might just be the most stupid extra ever.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

Actually, they are all ex-Seinfeld writers (including the John Houseman named Alec Beeerrrggg who named a character on the show after himself, the guy who gives Jerry the hockey tickets and when Jerry doesn't call to thank him, gives the tickets to someone else). So, these guys aren't exactly chimps when it comes to comedy.

I was really surprised by how funny the film was. Probably the best teen comedy of the past decade. MUCH funnier than the AMERICAN PIE films (although that isn't saying much)

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
I thought it was hilarious and was surprisingly one of the better R-rated teen comedies I've seen in a while (I also agree it's much better than the last two American Pies). Looking forward to this disc!

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow

One of the other writers is David Mandel who collaborated with Kevin Smith on the ill-fated Clerks cartoon. He wrote one of my favorite Seinfeld episodes - the one with Bizarro Jerry, George, and Kramer.

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
Hey Michael,

I didn't mean to be impolite. As I said, I know you guys are doing this stuff for free. It's not as if you always have both copies of the DVD for viewing, or as if you can take time out of your day to always go see the movie and compare. I understand that you guys are providing a service and you do the best you can.
My comment was meant to be directed in general towards dvd reviews (not just on this site) as I frequently read reviews where the reviewer states that he's never compared the two (even on re-releases where the original cut has been widely available and easily obtainable). Any comment that was less-than-polite stemmed from a general frustration. I personally wished that the differences had been noted, and I thought from your general apathy with the film they must not have been since you probably had no desire to sit down and re-watch them to compare. That's totally understandable. I was only wishing that the differences had been included in the review, and noting that many of us want to know the differences. I understand, in the case of HTF, why that cannot always be so, I was just making the point in general, all the same.
That said, I thank you for going back and including a write up of the differences. Personally, it's great to know the DVD has changes throughout the movie, instead of just one small scene.
I just want to reiterate that I appreciate the HTF and the work done by it's contributing memebers. I'm sorry if I was impolite.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Don't suppose this includes both the theatrical and unrated cuts on the same disc? I heard the only separate release with the theatrical cut is only foolscreen, so if that's the case I guess I'll miss out on this.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg
Good review.

Agreed. After all, we are talking of a film that was originally titled "Ugly Americans". Went in to the theatre expecting nothing, walked out after laughing my arse off for 90 minutes. The "Scotty Doesn't Know" scene was priceless.

Jay Gunn

Stunt Coordinator
The DVD has some pretty good special features, and I enjoyed the movie, so I'll probably pick it up. The dream sequence with David Hasselhoff singing
was one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Knowing that Berg, Mandel, and Schaffer were all Seinfeld veterans, I noticed quite a few things in EUROTRIP that were either homages and/or recycled jokes from the show. For example:
-the lead character is named Scott Thomas. In the episode where George dates a woman with a male roommate, the roommate's name is also Scott Thomas.
-the use of Sheena Easton's "Morning Train". This was in two episodes of Seinfeld: the one where Kramer goes to work in an office job without ever getting hired; and the one where George fakes a handicap to get a better office and restroom at Play Now.
-Steve Hytner, who plays the foul-mouthed Absinthe Fairy, was Kenny Bania on Seinfeld.

That's all that really stood out in my mind, but I seem to recall a couple of lines of dialogue that seemed like homages to Seinfeld.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow, excellent review. I was sitting on the fence on this one, but since it's a teen-sex-comedy, and you've covered the important bases (i.e. is there nudity or is it a ripoff in that department), I'm in! :D

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
David, it's no problem at all. I kept the uncut talk out of the review in case people didn't want me to ruin the shock of what was new to the film. That's why I went ahead and used spoilers plus I figured most fans would go for the unrated edition anyways. #1 is rather obvious because there's no way the MPAA would let that get into an R-rated film. The rest of the scenes really didn't catch my attention of being anything offensive so I had to check with the unrated scene selection to catch the changes. As I said, most of the cuts are very minor outside the first scene.

Jesse, only the unrated edition is on this DVD. I'm still not quite sure what's being released. The press release states a P&S and WS version of the unrated with a WS version of the theatrical cut. However, a few sites only list two versions: WS unrated and P&S (or open matte) theatrical.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I loved Matt Damon's
cameo.
All in all, I thought this movie was enjoyable. It would have been more enjoyable with some friends and a case of beer but I digress.
Anyone who is a fan of the "teen comedy" like American Pie et al should definitely give this one a rent.

Eric_B_C

Stunt Coordinator
I liked it a lot. As a Brit, I found the segment in England hysterical. Vinnie Jones was just awesome!

I liked the way it didn't try and portray Europeans as stupid or too stereotypical, like Lampoons European Vacation.

On the whole, a very funny movie, that didn't resort to crass nonsense like American Pie. (Okay, Stifler and the "pale ale" was funny, but the two sequels just repeated themselves.)

And the Absinthe gags are funny as hell too:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.