What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Enter The Dragon (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I had no idea it had been released on DVD so many times before. Are there any sites that compare all the different versions?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Does anyone know if this release features a new transfer, or is it the same one issued on the 25th Anniversary disc?

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
I was going to sell my ENTER THE DRAGON 25th Anniversary Edition until I read this new one didn't have the isolated score.

Cool thing is, I received my copy of Fortune Star's wicked R3 ULTIMATE BRUCE LEE set late last week and was considering simply sticking ENTER THE DRAGON in the box. This set actually includes the HK cut of that film, which has crappy, Terry Gilliam-esque paper cutout animations over Lalo Schifrin's score, which sounds like weak mono spread out over 5 speakers (the original opening from the U.S. release, is included as an extra on the bonus disc, albeit in poor condition; there's still that certain something about seeing John Saxon and Jim Kelly arrive in Hong Kong to that ominous score!). Otherwise, the film looks and sounds fantastic, as do the other five in this set (the Lee-via-outtakes GAME OF DEATH 2 is included), far better than previous releases from MegaStar, Universe or FOX in the states.

The bonus disc in this set is nice, but the Warner's set has far more goodies. Nice to see they included that Warrior's Journey doc, which used to sell by itself for around $20CDN.

I'm sure Fox will eventually reissue the Bruce flicks now that Fortune Star's remasters are available, and if their track record with the recent Hong Kong collection is any indication, perhaps they'll include the original Cantonese and Mandarin tracks, though I'm not holding my breath as those versions have always been the exclusiive domain of HK distribs.

Link to the set at Yesasia:
http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...ection-videos/

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Anyone compared the new transfer to the 25th Anniversary edition (aside from the opening logo, which I honestly couldn't care less about)? How about the soundtrack (of the film, not the isolated score)? Is it worth a double-dip?

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Hi Zen:

Re: hiss... None that I can recall - it sounded pretty clean. I thought it looked amazing though.

I'd love to hear from those who have previous versions to hear comparisons.

Herb.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Herb, I will post my comments and comparisons tonight after the show. I'm very excited!

--Herb, I'm sorry if my comment appeared as a challenge. My comment was only because many of the older films I own have some hiss underneath. That's running them in faux surround, 5.1 (when a remix is present), complete 2 channel bypass. I seem to get better results on an old Pro Logic receiver on many older films.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

No worries Zen... it didn't at all.

There were a couple of examples (going by memory here) when Lee meets with Braithwaite that sounded rather "boxey" during the dub (their meeting takes place outdoors and it sounds as though they are in a small room) - and I believe these were the additional scenes that were added. But this is definitely the area where things sounded rather hollow with the most amount of synch issues. Audio throughout was rather ho-hum and I'm curious to hear if it sounds better than the previous version.

To add to that, I run electrostats all around, so hiss tends to be accentuated when it is present, that really wasn't the case. Slightly hollow... yes

Herb.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Exactly, and I will watch for this.

Herb, great review as always. I also appreciate your follow-ups in your review threads. Not something every reviewer does. Steve, did you get this today too? It's on my desk at work propped up, out of the wrapper, staring at me.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
[rant]"Boards don't hit back!"[/rant]

Still waiting for my copy Zen, it's arriving by slow boat from China. I hope they don't make a mistake and send me 'Enter the Fat Dragon' starring Sammo Hung.:eek:

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
"Don't think. Feel. It is like a finger pointing away to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

I couldn't help watching my old copy of this great flick last night. Love the red packaging on the new version though. :D

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
[rant]"You've offended my family and you've offended the Shaolin Temple."[/rant]

...for a second I nearly put down Shirley Temple by mistake.:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks