What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Elektra (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"Elektra", the first comic book film that I ended up fast forwarding through.

Utterly painful and laughable to watch, especially when the 13 year old teen does her laughable "fighting" with her charm bracelet :)

Kain_C

Screenwriter

I do sorta agree with you, although I do like MCD. Now if this has been the opposite, i.e. Blade being cast by a white guy, there would be a huge ruckuss. I don't understand why one concept can be accepted yet the inverse ridiculed. Actually, I can... political correctness. It's similiar to the casting of Ford Prefect as a...gasp...rapper. There are a million better choices for that role!

Anyway, sorry about threadjacking. About this film tho, I don't have much to say.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Okay, name me a well-known actor who's physically bigger than Michael Clarke Duncan. MCD is probably the only actor with the physical presence to pull of the role.

His race is, of course, completely irrelevant.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw

Let's get one thing straight here:

There is only ONE human race: HOMO SAPIENS

Skin colour is a genetic attribute just like attached earlobes vs. unattached, blonde hair vs. brown hair, etc.

Because one guy has white skin and the other guy has black skin doesn't make them part of different human races. That's the same as saying a guy with straight hair and a guy with curly hair are two different races of humans too.

If Homo neandertalensis, a separete species, were still around today (but they died off about 20 000 years ago), then that word would have more merit in my eyes.

The word "race" is so widely abused today to classify people from a certain areas of the world. This doesn't exist scientifically, just socially. Ethnicity is more correct.

-Mike-

Tim L

Second Unit
Honestly, I really don't care about the race of a character either, but I have to admit that Will smith playing Jim West kinda threw me for a loop-probably because of the time-frame (late 1800s) of the movie-with him being a secret service agent and all, I have not seen Elektra- it just came in from Netflix so I will be catching it this weekend.
Tim

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I've watched this twice now and enjoy it. Not the best comic-book movie todate but not the worst. Besides, JG is so easy on the eyes it makes is that much more enjoyable.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
This statement is so wrong in so many levels ,but since this has nothing to do with the thread in hand I leave it at that!

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter

Would you prefer breed? ;) After all, all dogs are the same species too, but there are certain consistent physical characteristics that distinguish some types of dogs from others that can be used.

Subspecies would probably be the most accurate term overall. Ethnicities aren't just individual genetic traits like attached or unattached ear lobes or brown vs. blond hair, but are more common groups of genetic traits that are found together in individual of common descent. Subspecies are all part of the same species, but they do have those different characteristics that can be used to distinguish them.

And I agree that MCD was perfect for the role. I sure can't think of anyone else that would have had the necessary physical presence to play the part.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
For the sake of discussion, I'm curious to know why some of you think blacks and whites and Asians are scientifically different races of people and why we should treat the trait of skin colour genetically different than any other genetic difference e.g. hair colour (or anything else for that matter that distinguishes one human from another so we all don't look the same).

If you say people from different areas (with different skin colour) are "subspecies" - what traits define the "species" above the subspecies? Is it all of the internal organs of a homo sapien minus the skin?

-Mike-

Jace_A

Second Unit
There is one human race. Period. We're all descended from a common anscestor. What this has to do with Elektra is anyone's quess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks