What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "DrumLine" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Ron E.! :)

So many fine reviews have passed from your mouse (/mouth).
And we here @ HTF appreciate them.

Your reviews are very fun to read....every time.

And this one for "DrumLine" brings a lesser-known film (that surely must be of high quality by Ron's ecstatic demeanor :)) to our attention.

I certainly hadn't heard about it before today.

But, based on the RON E. STAMP OF APPROVAL, I'm going to have to check this one out. :D

Thanks again Ron for your continuously fascinating, and informative, DVD reviews.

P.S. ..... Did everybody take note of the nice W-i-d-e 2.35:1 ratio we're getting on DrumLine? Was glad to see that wider ratio here. Should fit in nicely for all the marching band/football field sequences.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Roger Ebert gave this film high marks as well.

And mentions this interesting "DrumLine" tidbit......

>> "The filmmakers filled the Georgia Dome with 50,000 extras for the rousing marching band showdown, which features the actual bands of Morris Brown College and Clark Atlanta University, Bethune-Cookman College in Daytona Beach, and Louisiana's Grambling State. Morris Brown was a good sport to allow its bandmaster to be portrayed as the villain."

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
What really irked me was the absence of the film's
trailer.
Not that this means a heck of a lot (because, as we all know, these e-tailer listings are oft-times not completely accurate down to the letter)...but I noticed that a few different on-line DVD stores do list the Original Trailer as a bonus feature. (DDD for one.)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Actually, I heard from my reviewer friend Colin
Jacobson on the subject of the trailer. Here is
what he said...

Dunno if you got the "Antwone Fisher" DVD yet, but IT includes the
trailer for "Drumline". It doesn't have a trailer for "Antwone Fisher",
however, just like "Drumline" doesn't have the "Drumline" trailer.
That was a real silly move on the part of Fox. Why
switch trailers like that? People want the original
trailer for the film they purchased.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
trailers - simple cross-marketing - they want you to buy the OTHER movie.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
trailers - simple cross-marketing - they want you to buy the OTHER movie.
Yes, Chris, I'm sure you're correct here.
And it makes sense too. BUT...Why can't they simply include BOTH of the trailers on each of the DVDs? For pity's sake, it'll only take up an extra 3 minutes (at most) of disc space! That way, the studio can advertise a movie they'd like you also to buy, and at the same time satisfy the desires of individuals wanting the trailer for the movie on the disc they bought.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Great review, Ron. With the recent flood of DVD releases, this one blew right past me. I just ordered it and am looking forward to checking it out.

Thanks again for keeping small films from falling off the radar.

-greg

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
Drumline may have been a modest hit, but for some reason it was booted from Halifax theatres after only a week (despite pulling in full houses during that time.) I agree that it's a solid entertainment, and maybe I'll pick it up.

Mark

Jodee

Screenwriter
I've wanted to see this ever since Ebert & Roeper raved about it on their show last year.

I also really enjoyed Bring It Ondespite how it looked initially, and this seems like it might be somewhat similar.

Josh Sieg

Second Unit
Saw this in theatres. I liked it alot. I think you really need to appreciate music, or be a musician to appreciate this film.

Gunnar Syren

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gunnar Syrén
Darn it!

The chances that this'll find it's way into the DVD Rental shops here in Sweden is, well, not encouraging...

I guess I'll just have to trust you, Ron, and buy it sight unseen.

You're in trouble if this turns out to be a dud! ;)

Nigel W

Grip
Sold - I will pass the rental stop and head straight
to the purchase line.

I took a quick look at another review site and it received
raves.

Thanks for the excellent and very enthusiastic review!

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
I must agree with those who saw the trailer for this and thought puhleeese!!! Another MTV teenie bopper movie. Then I heard from a few people that it was actually good. But I still kinda frowned at it. Then I heard how good it was doing at the box office and thought geez, are that many teens going to the movies?

But after hearing Ron's praise maybe I will have to buy this one. Because BLOCKBASTARDS will most likely have the P & S version only. (but I must say I was shocked that they had the widescreen version of 8 mile)

CoreyII

Second Unit
Hey Malcolm R, I second Robert Crawford's notion.
Orlando Jone's performance in this film is quite a departure
from his 7-UP (or other comedic) performances. The man
definitely has talent.

Also, Ron you may not want to be so quick in giving the feel good movie of the year award to Drumline until you've seen the Antwone Fisher Story. Then again maybe you've already seen The Antwone Fisher Story. Anyway, both are really good films.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Corey,

I don't think Fox sent me a screener for
Antwone Fisher.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Thanks, Corey, I'll give it a rent.

My last exposure to Orlando Jones was "Evolution" and I said it would not happen again. But I'll make an exception....

ChrisPi

Auditioning
This should, hopefully, satisfy my appetite for percussion until the "Rush in Rio" DVD comes out later this year (Neil Peart, anyone?)
OH, absolutely!! So looking forward to this set. Also, I hope they re-release Exit...Stage Left and A Show Of Hands on dvd....along with Dream Theater's Live in Tokyo and 5 Years in a Livetime on DVD...one can dream... ;)

And yes, I'm a drumming/band geek. Play in several bands, used to play in High School concert/marching/jazz bands, and when I got to college I played in the Basketball Pep Band. Fun stuff.

Will definately rent this dvd, ron...It sounds awesome.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Actually, the trailer sold me on the film. It looked like it was going to be the "Bring It On" of last year, and it looks like I was right.

Unfortunatly, I missed it in the theaters. Can't wait for the DVD release.

Jason

Darko

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Ron

Here's another film I've never heard of, that I'll have to get based on your review:D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks