What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Doom (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Speaking as a reviewer, I completely sympathise with Steve. For starters, I agree that there is little point even watching these screener copies, let alone reviewing them. They are a waste of time, made even worse by a crappy film. If the studios are worried we're all going to pirate the discs, they can do without coverage. There are more than enough DVDs of GOOD films made available for review.

As for skipping parts, Steve could have just done so quietly and not said anything and no one would have been the wiser, so kudos for admitting it. I have read many reviews on the net where it was obvious the writer hadn't seen the film, or at the very least, wasn't paying attention.

So :emoji_thumbsup: on the review, as painful as it may have been. :)

As for films based on games, if they could do a movie of Myst that was as beautiful as the games, I'd be all over it. Just keep it first person, and skip the actors, other than the bit parts. No wrestlers or pop stars need apply.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
First off in any review if parts are skipped then dont review the movie just the quality of the product, even then how could a person review the whole product, their could be a compression error or sound error during the parts that are skipped. In this case of getting something that is not the final product their should be no review at all. IF the studios choose to do this it should not be supported cause it takes away the whole purpose of reviewing what we will buy. So :thumbsdown: on the review and the studio's choice.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Virtually every TV set review is done by watching only sample episodes. Should those not be reviewed either? I would imagine Steve got a better idea of how he liked Doom by skipping here and there than someone does cherry-picking TV episodes.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

You mean like this one?

"Macon Leary (William Hurt) is a travel writer who does not like to travel. (His popular series of guidebooks, "The Accidental Tourist," instructs us how see the world without ever feeling like we've left home.) After the death of his young son, Macon retreats inward; his wife Sarah (Kathleen Turner), unable to break through his newfound reserve, promptly leaves him. But when his nutty sister Rose (Amy Wright) gives him a puppy to cheer him up, it begins a surprising chain of events that will turn Macon's perfectly orderly world upside-down. A chance meeting with dog trainer Muriel Pritchett (Geena Davis), becomes Macon's only lifeline to rediscovering his capability for love, hope and adventure."

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
While this may be true for most, I prefer to watch from beginning to end for the reasons Chad stated, although you can't always be sure a video or audio glitch isn't limited to your copy. Unfortunately, by sitting through the whole set it means passing on many releases, since the studios insist on grouping them all on the same release date.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yes. I take exception to your comment that all TV DVD reviews are just of "sample episodes". If I review it, then I've watched the whole thing. I don't watch bits and pieces of the DVDs I review, and I don't think others should either. If I present a review, it's for the WHOLE product, not just parts of it.

I think Steve's a good guy, but I gotta admit I don't understand the point of this review. It's a partially-watched movie for a DVD that doesn't represent the final product - why bother? A review exists to give the viewer buying advice - this one offers no help at all for someone who might want to get the DVD...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
You can take an exception, but I submit that you *are* the exception. In the TV show reviews I read, it is almost universally stated that only select episodes were viewed.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
You can't blame Steve, it was Universal who decided not to send final product.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Like Brother Ulmer, I also watch every TV episode when I review them. Maybe you need to step up to a better class of review site if the ones you're reading just sample episodes.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The fact that Steve didn't give the film a rating and stated up front the fact that he didn't watch the entire film makes it OK. It's not like he makes a habit of skimming through discs; this was just a special case.

As for those who seem to be insisting that disc reviewers should watch every episode of a TV season set. . .well, if you have time to critically watch 1000 minutes of a single title in time to write and post a full review of it, then more power to you. But I don't think that it's a valid comparison. One can get a decent picture of nearly any TV program from watching a few episodes. A self-contained feature film is a different animal.

If the HTF isn't a good enough "class of review site" for you, then feel free to post elsewhere. Constructive criticism is welcome here; snarky insults are not.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Program yes, but I would beg to differ on the transfer quality, or on whether the episodes are edited. Amazingly, most TV on DVD product has the first few episodes looking very good, while some of the later ones are poorer. Go figure.

That is not meant as a dig against those who only review a few episodes, as long as the review notes that fact. I know how much time it takes to cover a release, especially watching 30+ episodes to do it. I agree that a feature is a different animal entirely. For what people are paying to read these reviews, and what reviewers are paid to review them, they should be able to cut the reviewers some slack.

Michael Young

Stunt Coordinator
I would say Steve wanted to see Doom, or had nothing better to watch at the time. I see no reason a reviewer would bother watching a screener. Its obvious it won't be used to review the DVD product.

I didn't enjoy doom much either, but my problem with the review, is that it’s a flame post, that is disguised as a review. Instead of posting your opinion on the film in HT Software - Film and Documentary you decided to post a review to get a ton of attention to your bashing of a film.

I just found that adding this post as a "review" was a bit egotistical.

BrandonJF

Second Unit

Which he said he wouldn't do again. So, if Universal sends him another DVD-R, it doesn't sound like he's gonna feel obligated to post something.

Had Universal sent the retail copy of the disc, would it have been ok to skip sections of the movie? Especially when the action heats up and the A/V is put through it's biggest workout?

I'm assuming it would've been a different story in that case. At least, I hope it would've.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

But they DID send final product if you asked. That's what I did - I told them I couldn't review the POS they sent and they forwarded a real copy. It was easy, and I was able to review the final product. If they'd not sent it, I wouldn't have reviewed it - it was as simple as that, and I told them so...

Michael Young

Stunt Coordinator

I'm just stating my opinion. I am sorry if it is a bit harsh, but I’m basically saying what others I believe think. Why review the product and only state your opinion on the film. I think there was no reason to post the review if all you’re doing is commenting on a film you skipped through.

I believe he wanted everyone to notice how bad he thought doom was, and the best way to show that was to post a review. All Steve did was trash the film, and tossed it in review format.

I found it egotistical because he decided to post a review instead of making a thread elsewhere.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I think most of this has been already previously
been explained in this thread. There has also been
an apology offered. Still, some of you guys continue
to hammer away at Steve nonetheless.

Steve posted the review as is because we had no
policies in place regarding unfinished screener
product. Steve was simply doing as he was instructed.
Nothing egotistical going on here.

We have a policy now in place where any DVD that is
not released to us as final product will not be reviewed.

I hope that some of you will now put this issue to rest.

Thank You.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher

Not to be picky Ron, But shouldn't it be: We have a policy now in place where any DVD that is not released to us as final product will not be reviewed. :D ;) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks