What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Dawn of the Dead - Unrated Director's Cut (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Hopefully I can get some friends/neighbors together for the Friday after it's release and have a movie night!
And just have a plain ole' fright fest!
Looking forward to this one!

Troy

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

Yeah but that character was always indented to be a cliche of the "stupid horror movie thought process" type of character.

...."Bobbie JOOOOE!"

Bryant Trew

Second Unit
I watched this last night, and I have to say that this version is much more gripping. Andy's video and the newscast are superb extras that can really freak you out. I actually had trouble sleeping last night.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Wow, those Screenshots are awesome!! I love the dude with one arm! He's like, OH Man! I've had better days!!!

Countdown to The Thing and Dawn of the Dead is on!

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Wow! Some of those screen captures look pretty intense:eek:
I wonder if the guy holding the gun under his throat actually pulls the trigger and they show that! Again :eek:

Won't be an easy one to watch on the graphic side , that's for sure.

Can't wait to see this one next Week!

Later!
Troy

TedT

Second Unit
Can't wait to get this.

Also can't understand why everyone hates "Day of the Dead"?!??! Best of the series, in my opinion.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I don't know why others hate it, but I disliked Day because it moves slowly, tells a bland, unfocused story, lacks enough action, and presents dull, one-dimensional characters. Granted, the first two didn't present well-rounded personalities either, but at least they were interesting. I was bored during Day.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
DAY OF THE DEAD has "dull, one-dimensional characters"? Heavens, the first hour of the film is practically nothing but character development. In my opinion, it's the best of the series (so far- can't wait for LAND OF THE DEAD!!!), a bona-fide horror masterpiece and the film in the trilogy that I return to most often. I think Michael Felsher's superb liner notes included on the Anchor Bay 2-disc set (not sure if they were carried over for the single disc version) are a pretty good sumary of my feelings towards the film, and also a good analysis of why the film is so disliked by some.

Vincent

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
this is what i dislike most about the new generation of action films.
it's like a strobe light and most times is very distracting and takes me out of the movie.(the quick editing)

i guess we can thank mtv and bruckheimer for that.
i'm not a big fan of the cat jumping out or loud music cue for scare effects.
i think they are lazy mans scare tactics.

i'll be watching dawn tommorrow so i'll reserve judgement on the movie till then.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

And that's what makes the fact they're dull and one-dimensional all the more problematic! LONG character development doesn't mean GOOD character development...

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
I would say it's devoted more to 'conflict development' than character development. Watching DAY now, the characters are so grating it's a relief to see the zombies, esp good ol' Bub. Maybe that's the point...Anyway, it is a worthy entry in the series, as I'm sure LAND will be. (Great or semi-great, I'm just happy Romero's finally getting the chance.)

Back on topic, I picked up the new disc last weekend (it's popping up all over). Some of the restored bits - and pieces - went right by me, but overall I like this version even more. EDIT: Nice review, Jason!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Wait a sec, since when did Romero finally get the backers to do Dead Reckoning...or Land of The Dead (whatever it's called now)?

Travis W.

Second Unit

This is old news man :D. I don't remember every little detail but I all I know is Romero is finally getting a chance to do it. Google Land of the Dead and I'm sure you'll find something. Aint it Cool News got pretty excited about it. Last I heard Universal is distributing.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Funny that I haven't seen much about it in the Dawn threads...can't be that "Old".

..but then again if it is actually filming...damn look at that cast..Asia Argento...this'll be interesting.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
:: And that's what makes the fact they're dull and one-dimensional all the more problematic! LONG character development doesn't mean GOOD character development...

And this is where we'll have to continue to disagree, Colin- I find the characters in DAY OF THE DEAD to be very well-developed and interesting. As a singular example, in my opinion, Laurie Cardille gives the best performance in the entire series- the scene where she's forced to (SPOILER FOLLOWS) amputate her boyfriend's arm and her breakdown following is just harrowing in a profoundly human way that nothing else in the entire series (not even- SPOILER FOLLOWS- the death of Scott Reineger's character in Dawn) can touch. The scenes I find myself coming back to so frequently in DAY OF THE DEAD are not the "gore" scenes, but many of the dialogue scenes, such as the scene where Sarah goes to visit John and McDermott at "the Ritz"- such profound, incredibly well-written and acted dialogue in that scene, and so perfectly underscored by John Harrison's wonderful score! It's just great filmmaking, period, regardless of genre.

And "Bub" may be the the single greatest character in the entire series, and in all of zombie-dom!

Vincent

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Saw this disc tonight -- totally agree with the review above. A+ quality disc. I didn't see the theatrical cut, but judging from what the screenshots are calling new, the new cut is better and much gorier than you saw it in the cinemas. (I can't believe I skipped this movie in the theatres to see The Passion! Doh! ;))

Gotta disagree about the effectiveness of the bonus features, though. Andy's video diary and the news flashes were kindof... well... don't expect anything on par with the film itself. The deleted scenes in the bonus features section aren't worth much, either, because everything good was already restored into the director's cut, so that isn't too exciting, either.

As for the flick itself, I'd rate it a notch below 28 Days Later on the list of best modern zombie flicks. Very solidly made with terrific effects and it doesn't pull any punches straight through to the ending. A nicely done film on a nicely done DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks