What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Dances With Wolves" Special Ed. (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I cannot agree more with the sentiments expressed about the new 4-hour DVD release of Dances With Wolves. The quality is better than I could have imagined! It's even light-years past my recording of the ABC telecast of the extended version, though there's different midway edit points between the two. In the ABC version, the first part ends when the Sioux return to the fort (about two and a half hours into the picture) and the second part picks up some months later. Yet on the DVD you cannot even detect the edit points, the new footage is so convincingly blended with the original, along with the audio. And I like the idea of an "intermission" at the end of Part 1 on the DVD.

I agree, the film could have been easily split into two discs, a la the LOTR Fellowship extended version, and I remember reading early reports saying that this was going to be a 3-disc set. Why MGM changed it to a DVD-18 is beyond me. But this is one time I'm glad I held out for the extended version.

Why didn't the music video make the DVD? It's advertised on the packaging, yet it's not on the disc anywhere. I remember seeing the music video on VH1 in the early 90's, in which it had a mix of the movie footage and behind-the-scenes filming, and this radio single is on the CD release of the soundtrack I have (along with a radio single of the Indian music). The new retrospective documentary is a wonderful addition, as are the trailer and TV spots. Even the bonus inclusion of Neil Travis' original promo reel for the film was a great little bonus. But the music video should have been included on the disc somewhere.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
The music video is on Side 2 of Disc 1, along with the original making-of featurette. It's under Special Features.

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
Got my copy coming in the mail, should be coming in by Tuesday or Wednesday.

I haven't seen this film in ages. Probably been 10 years at least, so I'm anxious to see it again for the first time on DVD.
Quoting myself here, I got my shipment on Wednesday, but I also order two other Westerns, so I'll watch those first.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Randy, that sounds good. I looked for it the other night but couldn't find it - must have been the Zyrtec kicking in that I've been taking to battle the poison ivy I'm now almost over. I'll take a look at it again tonight to see if it's on there. Side 2 of Disc 1, eh? Thanks! :)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Bill, All Movie does a good job of breaking down the contents of most DVDs. If HTF isn't handy or you can't wait, you can always check there when you can't find something or want to see everything that a disc has. Just search for the movie title and click on the DVD icon for the proper version.

For example, here's its (unformatted) comprehensive listing for the Dances With Wolves SE (MGM):
Chapters
Side #1 -- Part 1
1. Main Title/No Gangrene [4:59]
2. Suicide Mission [6:45]
3. A Fool's Errand [8:32]
4. The Foulest Man Alive [6:21]
5. "This Is My Post" [9:28]
6. Clean-Up Duty [6:08]
7. Killing the Messenger [5:02]
8. A Friend in Two Socks [5:28]
9. The Naked Soldier [4:03]
10. What About the White Man? [7:02]
11. Little Big Horse Thieves [:48]
12. Death of a Husband [5:03]
13. "She's Hurt!" [1:58]
14. Lost in the Translation [8:10]
15. Remember the White Words [5:34]
16. Official Introductions [6:58]
17. Who Killed the Buffalo? [9:19]
18. The Deep Divide [11:50]
19. A Successful Hunt [2:33]
20. "Good Trade" [8:14]

Side #2 -- Part 2
1. Wolf Dancing [5:49]
2. A Great Honor [8:40]
3. The Story of the Fist [10:33]
4. "I Am in Mourning" [4:11]
5. A Call to Arms [10:40]
6. Permission to Love [10:57]
7. The Most Important Trail [9:15]
8. "Turned Injun, Didn'cha?" [4:14]
9. Traitor Status [3:25]
10. Wolves and Other Animals [6:37]
11. Parting Gifts [8:02]
12. Epilogue/Credits [12:48]

Menu Options Side #1 -- Part 1
Play Movie (Part 1)
Scene Selections
Special Features
Commentary With Director of Photography Dean Semler and Editor Neil Travis On
Commentary With Director of Photography Dean Semler and Editor Neil Travis Off
Commentary With Kevin Costner and Producer Jim Wilson On
Commentary With Kevin Costner and Producer Jim Wilson Off
Subtitles
English
French/Français
Spanish/Español
None

Side #2 -- Part 2
Play Movie (Part 2)
Scene Selections
Special Features
Commentary With Director of Photography Dean Semler and Editor Neil Travis On
Commentary With Director of Photography Dean Semler and Editor Neil Travis Off
Commentary With Kevin Costner and Producer Jim Wilson On
Commentary With Kevin Costner and Producer Jim Wilson Off
The Original Making of Dances With Wolves
Music Video: Original Music by John Barry
Subtitles
English
French/Français
Spanish/Español
None

Side #3 -- Special Features
The Creation of an Epic - A Retrospective Documentary
The Creation of an Epic: Intro
Novel to Screen
Actor Becomes the Director
The Buffalo Hunt
The Look and Sound of Dances
The Art of Composition
The Success of Dances
Play All
Dances Photo Montage With Introduction by Ben Glass
Poster Gallery
TV Spots
Courage and Passion
Academy Campaign
Theatrical Trailer
Other Great MGM Releases
MGM Means Great Movies
Platoon Trailer
Windtalkers Trailer
More Great MGM Releases

Ok folks, I know many Best Buy's still have the DTS 2 disc. But I went to three different Best Buy's, two Circuit City's and a Borders in KC, and nada. Does anyone know anywhere online I can still buy this? Does anyone have one for sale? Any help would be appreciated.
The DTS version has been out of print and unavailable is most stores for several years. New and unopened copies go for up to $75 on eBay and used copies go for $35 or more. There is another version for sale on eBay claiming to be a single disk DTS but it is a bootleg.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info, Randy! I've not had a chance to check it because of my work scheduling, dating, church activities, and other things, not to mention traveling out of town frequently and battling poison ivy, so it only gives me time to check it out late at night. Ugh! By then I'm usually too tired to watch but just a little bit. Thanks for the info! You're the man! :)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I'm sure by now a lot of people have been able to find the hidden Easter egg feature on the second disc, of editor Neil Travis' 5-minute assembly of footage called "Second Wind". But there is, in fact, a second Easter egg on the disc.

To access this other feature, put in Side 2 of Disc 1 into your DVD player and wait for the main menu to come up. Highlight "Play Movie", then press the Up arrow on your remote. This will highlight an Indian on a horse. Press Play, and you'll get to see a 2-minute clip on a group of Civil War re-enactors being used for the opening sequence of the film.

They really pulled out all the stops to make this DVD well worth the buy, I must say! :)

AnthonyP

Stunt Coordinator
After some time and distance from the extended cut, has anyone gone back and watched the theatrical version and have any additional opinions on which version they feel is best when seeing the film for the first time.

I understand that one would either like or dislike it regardless of the cut but that the perspective is changed slightly in the extended from the main charcter in sections.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Costner -- the "director's cut" is a marketing thing, and actually weakens the existing version. Costner is on record now saying he had little to do with the director's cut, and I've been saying for years the "longer version" of Dances With Wolves is a primary examlpe of how "more of a movie" does not equal "a better movie". The theatrical version of DWW is far stronger than this extended verison...unless you like movies where you get to view events and answer questions well ahead of your central protagonist.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I too much prefer the theatrical version of Dances With Wolves over the extended version. The theatrical version just seems to flow better.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
I love both versions, and think they work very well. The version I prefer depends on how much time I have to view the film.

The only sequence I can do without is...

the initial view of the Fort showing the deserting soldiers.

And while the theatrical version flows very well, I sorely miss many of the extended Native American sequences.

Ideally, it would be great to have both versions of the film in one set (like Cinema Paradiso). I'm holding onto the original Image DVD for the best of both worlds.

Cheers,

KyleC

Supporting Actor
So of the Theatrical versions which has the best sound/video? I saw a DTS version on Amazon, how is the video on that? I take it there's no commentary either?

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
I would consider the DTS version to be an early superbit. The movie is spread over 2 discs and the DTS track is amazing. IMHO This is the one to have. Randy B A

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Tough call...I'd say see the theatrical version first, like most of the public did.

I agree on the Ft. Sedgewick soldiers. Also, the suicide of the officer as Dunbar begins his journey is incredibly belabored in the extended version. Plays like a "first assembly" of all the usable footage instead of a fine-tuned sequence.

I love all of the other added stuff, though. One thing to note is that the extended version was not done by the original editor of the film.

This was never answered: the review says the old LD added 55 minutes, and the DVD 52. What was left out this time?

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I don't disagree with any of the comments regarding the extended edition of the film, however after being familiar with both, I can honestly say I like the extended cut a little better. Yes, there are some scenes which probably shouldn't have been there, but there are some that I really like. Here's a couple examples:

**SPOILERS HERE...But if you're this far into the thread, Im sure you've seen them**

1. I think the scene showing the Army Lieutenant guy at Fort Sedgewick (forgot his name) passing by Dunbar was a nice setup to the scene later in the movie where they meet again as Dunbar returns to his post. We see the same Lieutant who obviously recognizes Dunbar, but doesn't acknowledge even though he appears to be sympathetic to him. I think this adds quite a bit to the later scene as he is probably ashamed to acknowledge Dunbar in front of his men.

2. Although I dont think the inclusion of the soldiers at the Fort before Dunbar needed to be there, I like the extended shots of him cleaning up the place, especially showing the gruesomeness of the animals that were killed in the pond. It gave a deeper effect to the abandonment that the soldiers felt towards the Army.

3. I hate movies that have a love story in them for the sake of having a love story, and in the theatrical version there isn't a whole lot of screentime of Dunbar and Stands with a Fist together, so it sorta feels like it was forced. The extra scenes showing them together make it more believable.

4. I love pretty much any extended scene involving the Sioux. Everything about how they acted and were shown was beautiful. Add to that the glorious cinematography of this film, and I dont mind looking at any extra material featuring them.

There are probably a couple other noteworthy things I could mention, but its been probably a year since I've watched the extended version of this film, so my memory is hazy.

What I'm getting at here, is you can probably look at any movie and pick at least one or two scenes that you think that if you were the director or editor, you would have omitted or otherwise changed. No film is ever going to be perfect in the eyes of everyone who watches it. So with that in mind, yes, the extended cut probably could have lost some of the extra scenes, but on the other hand, it benefitted from some of them as well.

I absolutely love this movie and consider it close to my favorite of all time (although as any film lover would admit, its probably impossible to pick one.)

I am glad that I am able to own both versions of this film so I can view it both ways. Actually, I own the VHS boxed set from 1994 with the EE on it, the 8x10 glossies and 140+ page book. I own the 2-disc Image DTS theatrical cut, I own the MGM EE SE, and the 4-disc Korean EE+TE DTS version. Hindsight is always 20/20 and add to that I didn't make this film, so I have no complaints.

For anyone who is a huge fan of this film as I am, you might also want to consider the Region 0 Korean NTSC release which comes in a very nice leather pouch. It is a 4-disc release featuring both the extended cut and theatrical cut in DTS and includes the commentaries. It also has a collection of post cards in them with pictures of most of the main characters. If I remember correctly, I picked up this set for about $35 shipped.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Josh Simpson:

Re your post #42: if by chance you're still looking for the 2-disc DTS theatrical cut from Orion, I second Brian_Wh's mention of Amazon Marketplace in his post #58.

As of this typing, there are 10 copies available used for as low as $21.99 (including one/some from Wherehouse, who I've had no problems with in ordering from in the past). The new copies are of course more expensive, but they are out there.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/off...condition=used

-p

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I just picked this up last Sunday at one of the big local chain stores for $7.50...don't know why they were dumping them so cheap but it's a great package!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks