What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Dances With Wolves" Special Ed. (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Ed Moroughan

Second Unit
Real Name
Edward R. Moroughan
I was on the fence for a while but after reading the review here I made up my mind. The DVD will be mine...oh yes it will be mine. :D

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Fantastic review, Ron.

A question to anyone who might know the answer:

As Ron points out, Kevin Costner and Jim Wilson say at the beginning of their commentary that it has been nine years since they made the film. But the film was made 13 years ago. That would mean the commentary was recorded in the late '90s. Yet their commentary on the new MGM DVD, according to DVD File, is different from the one on the Image DVD. (I gave away my Image DVD and no longer have it to compare.)

So...
Did they record the commentary five years ago for this extended-edition DVD and it has taken this long to bring it out?
Or did they just get their years mixed up?
Or is this "new" commentary the same one from the previous laserdisc of the extended edition?

Does anyone know?

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Well, I found out the answer to my own question, thanks to the producers of the new DVD. If anyone else cares:

The director/producer commentary track on the new Dances With Wolves DVD from MGM is the same one as on the old Image DVD, except Costner and Wilson recorded new comments for the hour's worth of restored footage. This explains the time discrepancy when they refer to its having been nine years since the movie was made.

I thought it odd that they would come back and record another commentary for the entire movie. What a great solution.

Chris Baucom

Stunt Coordinator
Randy, thanks for finding that out. I was wondering about that, too. Did you contact the producers directly?

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Chris, yes, it came directly from the producer, JM Kenny:

Since we were putting the extended version of the feature on the DVD and we had an excellent commentary that had been recorded for the theatrical version, we had Kevin and Jim record a commentary to the hour of extended footage.

MarkBurton

Second Unit
There is a really nice note on the inside jacket from Kevin Costner and Jim Wilson that reads....

Dear Filmgoers:
Upon the release of the four-hour Dances With Wolves, the question naturally arises: Why? Why add another hour to a film that by most standards pushes the time limit of conventional movie making?

We opted to produce an extended version of Dances With Wolves for several reasons. The 52 additional minutes that represent this "new" version were difficult to cut in the first place... the opportunity to introduce them to audiences is compelling.

We have received countless letters from people worldwide asking when or if a sequel would be made, so it seemed like a logical step to enhance our film with the existing footage. Virtually every character is richer, from the teamster, Timmons, to the tribal cheif, Ten Bears.

Making an extended version is by no means to imply that the original Dances With Wolves was unfinished or incomplete; rather it creates an opportunity for those who fell in love with the characters and the spectacle of the film to experience more of both.

We hope you enjoy it.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
:confused: First he says adamantly that the extended edition, which was released several years ago, is not what he wanted, and now he's saying that this was "a logical step to enhance our film with the existing footage". Is he doing some back-pedalling or am I missing something?

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
First he says adamantly that the extended edition, which was released several years ago, is not what he wanted, and now he's saying that this was "a logical step to enhance our film with the existing footage". Is he doing some back-pedalling or am I missing something?
Neither. I think his introduction is worded very carefully and diplomatically. Your excerpt of his intro is the classic example of what we journalists are eternally chastised for: "My quote was taken out of context!"

He says that expanding the film was "a logical step to enhance our film with the existing footage" in response to "countless letters from people worldwide asking when or if a sequel would be made."

I read that as, he's doing it for the fans. He doesn't say whether or not he wanted to do it--just that he did it.

It's clear from the commentary, though, that he has made some kind of peace with expanding the film.

That's my take, anyway.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
I read that as, he's doing it for the fans.
Well, that's not necessarily a bad thing as long as he is doing it with a clear conscience and of his own volition.

One thing that no one really asked though: is this going to be the exact same extended edition that was released on VHS a few years ago or is this a new edit meant specifically for this DVD? I'm going to buy the DVD regardless, but if it's the exact same cut as the previously extended release, I might consider selling my VHS EE.

Howard S

Stunt Coordinator
Incidentally, I saw a used copy of the o.o.p. single disc Dolby Digital version at a local cd shop around that time. A word of CAUTION though - beware of the imported (Korean?) bootleg version.
Josh Simpson,
Another word of CAUTION - my WAMO pressed version of this OOP Dolby Digital disc is now unplayable - seemingly due to 'disc rot'. Beware.

See this thread for details

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
Personally, I am on the fence for this one. I just don't like the fact that this is a flipper. I would have liked it better if the movie was spread across two discs with the extras on the flip side of disc 1. I know it is a minor complaint but I just don't want to encourage flippers. :thumbsdown:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

With dvd market penetrating into 50 million households in this country, I seriously doubt whether your purchase is going to encourage future flippers.

Crawdaddy

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Gonna resurrect this one.
I finally got around to watchig DWW this weekend.

Loved the extended cut :emoji_thumbsup:

Gorgeous pic and sound.

Dont mind flipping the disc (I was a LD collector),after all its a 4 hour movie.

This is my favorite DVD release so far this year(although that could change in a few weeks when I get my paws on Once Upon A Time In America)

Im wondering if that will be a flipper too since its supposed to be a extended cut close to 4 hours as well.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Got this set Friday and watched it that evening. It was excellent! I hardly noticed the extra hour, and it was the fastest four hour movie I've ever seen. Not because of the action (there isn't a lot) but because of the story, the characters, and the superb acting throughout.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Definitely a good candidate for DVD of the year.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
I watched this DVD last night. It was my 1st time ever seeing this movie. So I have never seen the orginal cut. I didnt even notice the 4 hours, never seemed to drag. Great movie BTW.

Dave Molinarolo

Stunt Coordinator
Got my copy coming in the mail, should be coming in by Tuesday or Wednesday.

I haven't seen this film in ages. Probably been 10 years at least, so I'm anxious to see it again for the first time on DVD.

norman j

Agent
This is my wife's favorite movie, and she is hard of hearing. I was very disappointed that none of the extras were subtitled. Of course the movie itself is both closed captioned and subtitled.
In the early days of DVD, most of the extras were not subtitled, but it is much more common that they are subtitled these days.
On a positive note, I had never seen the extended version, and the extra parts really enhance the movie.

Joel Vardy

Supporting Actor
This is one of the best ways of spending 4 hours seeing a movie that I can think of. The extra footage makes this material seem less 'hollywood' and maybe a bit more like a documentary -- yet it also enhances the experience of character development among all the major players. The new documentary was just wonderful and well worth the price of admission alone. Well done :emoji_thumbsup: .

Joel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks