What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Collateral Damage" (with screenshots) - REPOST (1 Viewer)

Brett C

Second Unit
I thought the movie was ok. I love ole school Arnie action flicks. The problem with the movie is its Director Andrew Davis with his signature slug pace. Great Quality DVD as well.Shame Warner doesn't use DTS though...

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
The sound design engineer really screwed this one.
Especially during the:
attack on the jail scene.

There are explosions from mortar fire with bass and some without, yet all take place within the same vicinity. The majority of gun fire has no bass (which is correct). Yet, some gun fire with lots of bass. All from the same type of guns.
The Helicopter attack on the village
There is plenty of rocket fire, some explosions with bass, some without.
The elevator scene in which Arnie is sliding down the cables
There is big bass as Arnie slides by. Why?
This is from what I can remember right now, there are plenty more. Someone really screwed the pooch on this sound track, it is completely unrealistic. The surrounds are horrid. Way over used and too loud. A complete distraction. It's almost as if they wanted the surrounds to drive the movie.
Peace Out~:D

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
This film was very poor regardles of the time it was made ( pre or post 9/11 ). Arnold did not look very well in it either...

I really disliked this film...

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Arnold did not look very well in it either...
You can say that again! The guy is just getting plain old! My wife actually mentioned how old he looked first. I said perhaps it was intentional. But his wife looked young, and his son was very young as well, so it was not intentional. The quality Warner transfer really showed the wrinkles that Arnie has now! I was really surprised

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I also completely agree with Ron P's statements regarding the sound mix! I was wondering if anybody else noticed this. Definitely not an "accurate" sound design.
Thank you Rob. I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed the very poor mix on this movie. I'm just surprised Ron did not talk about it in his review. It is one of the worst I've come across to date.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron,

It's been over a month since I did this review
so I don't have a fresh memory of the soundtrack.

But checking two other major DVD reviewers, both
of them had nothing negative to say about the mix,
either.

If there was a problem with the mix on my equipment
I would have brought that out in the review.

Thanks

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Unfortunately, this ended up being one of those films which never made it to the 45 minute mark in my DVD player before I took it out and watched Resident Evil. New Arnie films just can't compare to his old ones like Predator and Commando.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Ron, there are only certain sequences in the movie where the placement of bass is missing or over used. Most of the movie is good, but the certain bad spots really detracted from the movie.

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
My wife and I laughed through the entire movie, at huge plot holes and a terrible script. We then talked about the good old days when we weren't so cynical and could enjoy a bad movie a little more easily.

One of Ahnold's first lines in the movie cracked us up and set the precedent for the rest of the film...

When Captain Ahnold the firefighter is leading his men into the big blaze, his only words of leadership were "OK guys! Heads up! Lets do it!". Gotta love that plan of attack.

Unless you want to laugh at this one, don't even rent it. This coming from a guy that usually loves Arnold.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks