What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - (EXTREEMELY RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I'm 36 and I literally haven't seen this movie since I 1st saw it in a movie theater as a little kid. I don't believe it was when it 1st hit the theaters, since I was 1 at the time, but not too long afterwards.

To this day, The Child Catcher STILL gives me the creeps!!! :eek: My copy should be at my door sometime tomorrow.

JonathanG

Stunt Coordinator
While I personally have not seen the current London 'stage' version of this story, it would be kind of cool to see this because at one point during the show, Chitty actually flys off the stage and over the heads (safely I might add) of those seated in the orchestra seats.

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
I have to get this. I was a child in the 60's and was a member of the Weekly Reader book club. One of my favorite books was Chitty Chitty bang bang by Ian Fleming. I remember the book having a recipe for making fudge that my mother made for me. I have memories of being very excited when I heard about the movie and great joy at finally seeing it. It's been a long time since I've seen it but now that it's been done right, it's time to see it again and share those memories with my kids.

Thanks for the review, David.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Does anyone know if Wal*Mart will be carrying this? I like to purchase things at my local store, but they don't have this on the comming soon list.

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
Darren Haycock wrote:

I'm avoiding this movie like the plague. The reason? That child catcher! I mean, sweet merciful crap is he freaky...
Hee hee.
Yes, definitely the stuff of some of my childhood nightmares. And definitely more scary to me than Jason or Freddy Krueger ever were. Off topic, but my parents used to run a country inn where children under twelve were not allowed during dinner hours. I can remember our pretty blonde hostess laughing uproariously after a couple once brought in a very poorly behaved toddler (the very reason for such a ban) and she was actually able to lip read my father mouthing the words, "I smell children..."

Haven't seen the Child Catcher in a long time. I'm curious as to what effect he'll have on me all these years later. :D

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Just got this today. It is a great DVD, and I do appreciate your review, David. The picture quality is just as you said it was. The only complaint, albeit a minor one, is that the Intermission is missing. I haven't watched any of the extra's yet, but I'll get to that later tonight. I also watched a few minitues of the full screen version, and the image quality looks the same to me, but I wasn't comparing it side-by-side.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
So....

we've got "Recommended," "Highly Recommended," "Very Highly Recommended," and "Extremely Recommended."

Isn't anything worth a "Ludicrously Recommended," or "Most Profusely Recommended?" :)

I mean...what's left? But, I agree, this IS a timeless classic that gets a "Most Supercalifragulisticexpealidosciusly Recommended." Yeah!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Just bought it at lunch, and looking forward to screening it tonight, having only seen it previously on TV. I have a 5 year old daughter who will likely love it.

FWIW, I note that Target has it in their Sunday paper for $17.99, while Best Buy has it as $24.99. Yikes, thats a huge difference.

Guess where I went at lunch?

BGL

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Yes but his point about the missing intermission is a valid one,

...the intermission was part of the "artistic whole" of the consumate film... which had still-frames and music that were part of the theatrical exhibition.

I apologise for having missed that ommission my review! It's certainly on my laserdisc and, IMO, it should have been on the DVD.

Oh!

I *finally* got a chance the other night to screen this on my friend's projector...WOW. It looked just as I had hoped given what I saw on my direct-view. I honestly was *shocked* how film-like and natural the picture looked on the 100" screen...gorgeous saturated colors and fantastic "mid level detail" given the limitations of our 720 x 480 DVD standard. Simply stunning.

dave :D

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I gotta agree with Joshua. I remember my dad taking us kids to see this movie in downtown Chicago when I was 8 years old. When that car goes over the cliff and you're 8 years old, you're like, "Oh no...!" Then comes the Intermission and you can't wait to see what happens next ;) I was really hoping to see that intermission to re-live that experience long ago. Oh well, when my kids watch I'll take the previous suggestion and pause the disc in "mid flight".
Then I'll yell to the kids, Go to the bathroom! :D

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I have no idea what you are talking about with the "intermission" Just like the laserdisc, the DVD (Widescreen side anyway) has the intermission break and the en'tre act.at least on the DVD I bought.

My only question was why not show the US trailer in Widescreen? (It switches to wide screen for the children's and end credit only) also the French trailer is the same as the British trailer shown on the laserdisc - why not use the English version?

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Greg is correct.

The intermission and exit music are on the the widescreen and the full screen versions of the SE.

Just got the DVD today ... took a quick look and was very impressed with the colors and the image quality.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
When I was watching the movie earlier today, I was really just watching certain parts, mainly the musical numbers, and skipping through chapters, just to see some of the breathtaking visuals. I must have skipped the chapter with the intermission, but gone to the chapter just after it. I had forgotten that after the intermission it backs up about 30 seconds, to before they go off the cliff, I didn't see the intermission because I was seeing them go over the cliff the second time. I have since watched the movie in it's entirety, and it does indeed include the intermission.

Sorry for the interuption. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
A nicely packaged, double disc set like this
is usually packed with exciting
and enlightening extras,
but in this case I found them lacking.

The "documentary" should
have been called an interview, and a sketchy
one at that. Mr. Van Dyke is jovial as always,
but one hardly learns a thing about the making
of this film.
The clip portions have music
and dialogue that is "sped up"
The songs arent even in the correct key...
it is as if it was something done in PAL
and then transferred, resulting in a slight
increase in speed.
Sally Ann Howes,
and the children and the Sherman brothers are
nowhere in sight...except
for the early demos, which are nice to have.

The trailer that was included
in the laserdisc is NOT included here...
though, yes, there are six others...
but why not that one?

Perhaps it was impossible to include
a music and effects track, which would have been nice.

The sound mix is very similar to the laser
release.
Does anyone know why we lose Truly Scrumptious
entirely during the end of the
"Chitty" song reprise?
Right after she sings "turn everybody's head today"
she is very difficult to hear.
It wasnt mixed that way for the mono track
or the soundtrack album

I suppose that
the recent Warner releases like YANKEE DOODLE
DANDY
and the Vault Disney releases
have spoiled me for extras,
and this release just left me yearning for
more than
childrens games
and a read-along story, with a child
doing a questionable English accent....

I'm not calling the childcatcher, by any means,
but I was disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks