What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Chicago -- (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!) (1 Viewer)

David Glenn

Second Unit
David,

It's all been said but I felt compelled to thank you for the level of technical detail not to mention your layout and the writing style of your review.

If this is typical of the type of reviews you'll be doing, you certainly are adding a lot of value to HTF.

My only concern is some magazine or major market Newspaper will try to recruit you away.

Fantastic work.

PatrickL

Deceased Member
Deidre Goodwin, who played a merry murderess in the film, now has the lead of Velma Kelly.
That's true, and she is spectacular, but, no mention of who's playing Roxie now? Did you dislike Melanie Griffith that much? ;)

David, that is a spectacular review on all counts and I look forward to reading all of your reviews in the future. The HTF is very fortunate to have you.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
I can't think of another movie that is better deserving of a kick-ass DTS track. I can't wait! Thanks for making the wait harder David :)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
"Chicago, Chicago, it's my kinda film"

Excellent review, David. I hope the "professional" reviewers from other sites are taking notice. Looks like their random phrase generators won't cut the mustard anymore. :D :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Runar_R

Second Unit
Even though Chicago didn't make much of an impression on me, I'd like to thank David for a very good review of the disc. Nicely done!:)

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
I clicked on this thread by accident and am I glad I did. This is the most thorough and professional review I think I have ever seen.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
just finished watching it.

I had the CD previously...I would have to agree that this movie lives up to its hype. And I would be a naysayer.

the editing is superb.
the costumes are interesting.

the picture is not bad. I didn't see any EE.
the sound is not bad either. certainly better than the CD.

Catherine looks a bit on the short side for my liking, lol.

standout music numbers, and choreography.

recommended as well!

and yes, I like David's reviews. :)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Best. Review. Ever.

:D

Seriously David, one hell of a review. I'm looking forward to this disk now more than ever! :)

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
I give your review 10 out of 5 stars!! Jesus David, you make a hard act to follow! You have set the bar for our reviews somewhere up in the stratosphere. Excellent work!

I am the only one that hasn't recieved a single DVD yet. :frowning:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey Adam,

Thanks for the Kudos :)

*still* no DVDs from Fox? Bummer!

Of course, once you get them...you'll have some awesome titles! I still think it would be cool for you to review Daredevil even though it's already out :D *that* would be an HTF review I'd love to read even though I own the disc! That kick-_ss sub has *got* to sound amazing with the soundtrack on that disc.

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
Hehehe. Maybe if I wasnt so broke that I cant even afford that DVD right now. Just ordered my Denon 2900 couple days ago and just got my second set of Rocket RS750 towers for my 6th and 7th channels.

Plus, it has to be official to me! Its not the same unless FOX sends it to me.

In the meantime... I will just drool all over your reviews and maybe steal some formatting? Would that be ok with you?

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Hell's bells! That's a simply staggering review! Again, I have to bow down and applaud your efforts (a difficult manoeuvre, I hasten to add). Just brilliant!

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the excellent review! I am gonna get this now.

While I liked the film I thought Richard Gere was far, far better in "UNFAITHFUL" with Diane Lane, than he was in this! He was good but he was great in "UNFAITHFUL". :emoji_thumbsup:

I think a 2-disc will come along soon-ish.

Derek_McL

Second Unit
Excellent review and your comprehensive discussion of the audio and video is a model for all future DVD reviews. Pity I disagree with you totally about the worth of Chicago as a movie. Good songs,performances and at least it is a musical which is a rarity these days but to me the numbers were presented in a way which made the experience less not more cinematic. Some people may find it difficult to relate to characters naturally bursting into song except in a dream sequence but to me that just seems more artificial and stagey. When Gene Kelly starts singing in the rain down in the street in the open air it just seems so much more natural to me. The best film musicals even when based on stage originals open out the experience they don't narrow it down.

Everyone to their own opinion I suppose and I totally agree that every movie deserves a topnotch transfer particularly an Academy award winner.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Truly OUTSTANDING review Dave. Your eagerness and enthusiasm have clearly made this one of the best reviews I have ever read. THANK YOU.

Herb.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Nice, detailed review! It helps, I'm sure, to have a film of this calibre for an early review.

I can't wait to get my hands on this one.

-Scott

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Yes...no lip sync issues on the Panny RP-91 with DTS! :D
(a dvd player which shows a delay with the DTS on Moulin Rouge)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
In regards to the DTS track, Home Theater Magazine gave "Chicago" a ho-hum review for the audio on this disc saying that it was mostly mixed to the front 3 channels. After reading David's comprehensive review, I believe him any day!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks