What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Casablanca - 2 Disc SE (Highly Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
Just wanted to say again great job for a first review, but I would second the requst for more information on the supplements. It's nice to know what they are, but a discussion about the quality would be very welcome, although quality doesn't tend ot be much of an issue with the 2 disc Warners.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Can someone please compare this to the single disc WB release?
I've looked at the new release and the previous WB disc and can't say that there is a dramatic difference in picture quality. The new DVD certainly doesn't seem to have the sort of stunning transfer that singled out Warners restorations of MILDRED PIERCE, CITIZEN KANE or THE WOMEN.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Great review. I'll be sure to pick this up next week, but I guess I'd third the request for more info on features. I'm aware that for the most part, people really just care about the presentation, but since I don't exactly have a fancy setup and I have a pretty strict budget to keep to, I tend to only get titles that are great all the way around in terms of movie, picture, sound and features. :)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Gordy.... thank for clearing that up re the WB single disc, I was curious myself.

Thanks to everyone for their kind words.... I PROMISE to be more in depth with the extras in the future.

Herb.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Herb Kane wrote:
I found the new transfer to be very film like with an almost 3-D like appearance, especially for many of the outdoor scenes. The image is very sharp and detailed. Contrast is excellent with great black levels. I could not detect any dirt, video noise and the shadow detail was exceptional. Having said all of that, I did detect a slight (and I mean very slight) amount of grain. I don’t think the amount of grain could be any less noticeable and I suspect the only reason I am seeing it is the fact I am projecting on a 96” screen. Let me emphasize, this is not a grainy transfer and I was extremely satisfied. It is simply not as “digital looking” (which, obviously, isn’t necessarily a good thing) as a few of the recent releases i.e. Sunset Boulevard. I believe this will look outstanding on an average size RPTV.
Great review, Herb. :emoji_thumbsup: It's worth noting that the new edition of Casablanca was digitally restored by Lowry Digital Images for Warner Bros.. They also did the digital work on Sunset Boulevard for Paramount -- it may look a bit more "digital" due to the heavy work required by poor elements, but it's difficult to say.

While I'm not sure about Mildred Pierce (it's of course very possible), I believe the other two titles mentioned by Douglas are also LDI accomplishments: The Women and Citizen Kane (LDI's recently come to treat original negative film grain structure, or an approximation of it, as much more a friend than was the case in the early days of DVD, which gave us the current two disc set of Kane; this is likely the reason some minor film grain will be evident on their newer work, but rest assured, it's intentional). John Lowry held a chat here at the HTF last year: Live Chat with John Lowry, and he discusses many things therein, including grain and his company policies regarding it (or at least what they're doing with it now, as the technology continues to improve).

I've greatly admired much of LDI's work (I have a few artifact problems with Roman Holiday, which may be the compression or the digital restoration), but to see not only their best work on DVD, but indeed what I find to be the most beautiful B&W transfer on disc, bar none, I'd recommend Them! (a great giant bug movie from 1954). Speaking of giants, LDI's efforts on Giant (in color) are also a wondrous sight to behold (barring scenes beginning or ending in fades, where halos from contrast build-up and/or EE become troublesome). I read that they've done work for next month's Treasure of the Sierra Madre as well. I expected they'd beautifully resolve the (few, but annoying) troubles on the older transfer of Casablanca, and I'm very glad to hear that's the case. I can't wait to see the disc. Thanks again for the review.

David: you're the Disney guy now? Good deal. I'll keep an eye peeled for your reviews as well. :emoji_thumbsup:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The only thing I can say about this dvd and it's presentation is that I literally had tears of joy in my eyes throughout my dvd viewing. Enough said!

Crawdaddy

George See

Second Unit
Great review, i've been holding off on replacing my VHS for this special edition I knew there would be one eventually. My wife is also looking forward to this she's never seen it before and i'm sure she's going to love it.
As to reviews of the bonus materials, I don't really care for an in depth review just let us know if the making of's etc are just industry fluff pieces or real pieces that aren't just an overglorified commercial.

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Great Review Herb !... and thanks.

I thought I would post this here as well to try to get an answer about the cropping...

I have just completed the comparison with the new Warner - SE version of Casablanca.
http://www.compare.dvdbeaver.com/

I have included the Warner Region 2 PAL version:
Warner - Region 2/4 (UK) - PAL "Casablanca" vs. Warner - Region 1 - NTSC vs. Warner (SE) - Region 1 - NTSC

Warner UK

Warner - old

Warner - SE (new)

I concur with Mr. Harris, but do have one question. The SE version is cropped (not unlike many restored Criterions). I'm not complaining as it is minimal, but is this a process of the restoration? Why is it cropped on all 4 sides?

I have more examples of exact frame comparisons fro Casablanca in the link below:

http://www.compare.dvdbeaver.com/

Cheers,

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Cheers, Gary! :) :emoji_thumbsup:

I don't have the previous DVD, but I got the SE yesterday and I love it.

Uh... I received the new Warner SE of The Deer Hunter today and I was wondering if a three/four-way comparison of the region 1 Universal vs. Warner region 2 vs. German region 2 vs. New Warner SE. Any chance?

Thanks again.

Gordy

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
To my eyes (looking at the various screen caps) the new version has extraordinary shadow detail. There are more "colors" in the films pallette then previous editions it seems to me. I'll be picking up my copy tomorrow.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Why is this cropped? Is it closer to the cropping seen in theatrical release?

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Robert Harris said in another thread:

As we seem to be behind on the Bits column, I wanted to make it known that I've screened Warner's new release of Casablanca.

Someone has handled digital cleanup properly as while the grain structure is still very much intact and similar to that of the previous release, the dupe sections now look appreciatively better, with a better rendition of gray scale and better contrast values.

Both visually and sonically, the new Casablanca is a treat and is highly recommended.

Its the best that I've seen it look in decades.

RAH

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
"Someone has handled digital cleanup properly as while the grain structure is still very much intact and similar to that of the previous release, the dupe sections now look appreciatively better, with a better rendition of gray scale and better contrast values.

Both visually and sonically, the new Casablanca is a treat and is highly recommended.

Its the best that I've seen it look in decades."
It is all in my comparison HERE

Cheers,

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Comments on the cropping?

RAH...would love to know what you think given the framing comparisons on the dvdbeaver site...

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
The cropping seems minimal, certainly not enough to be concerned about (as Gary said), but would also love to hear Mr. Harris's thoughts about why it might be.
Why is it cropped on all 4 sides?
Actually, comparing the two region 1 images the SE has as much or more image on the left side.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure about why there is cropping - it certainly wasn't done to piss us off! :D

It may be that different telecines have slightly differnt opticals and cannot capture the full information of an Academy ratio from 1.37:1 to 1.33:1 for the film-to-tape transfer.

The remastered edition of The Shining is also cropped on all four sides in comparison to the dogshit edition. Why, I do not know.

On most occassions, cropping isn't noticeable, but it does happen. Just because a DVD is in it's OAR, it doesn't mean your seeing the whole picture - could be zoomed-in, but still 2.35:1, for example.

Actually, cropping on vintage 1.37:1 Academy ratio films is often the worst of all - or at least it used to be.

Gordy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks