What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: CARS - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! (1 Viewer)

ToddJ

Second Unit
I know that Best Buy has a nice 3D (lenticular) "Cars" lithograph that comes with it, but has anyone seen any place that has special lithograph packaging for the DVD itself? (like Target has done for MI3 & Final Destination 3)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I just finished watching it and wish I had seen it in theaters. Add me to the list that liked it.

Watch the end credits. Loved the car universe Pixar films at the drive in.

JodyL

Agent
Real Name
Jody
I bought my copy today from Future Shop (Canada) and it came with a fantastic metal case (the vid was packed as normal and they hand you the extra metal case at check out). The cover is solid red with the cars logo in the middle - the back is the same as the regular case. Just beautiful!

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator
Does this disc default on audio track 2 (the stereo track) on everyone's player? I got about half way through the movie before I realized that nothing was coming out of my back speakers at all. I guess it's my fault for not double checking but the THX intro was in 5.1 so I thought I was set.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

blockbuster also. fall retail th ough :thumbsdown:

it's a sparkly candy apple red like the 'vette in corvette summer.

RomanSohor

Second Unit

I am really sick of the Dreamworks style of jokes taking over animated films, but I don't think there's really any in Cars, except maybe the governor of California being a Hummer... but long after Arnold is forgotten, he will just be a character with a funny voice, and Jay Limo will just be a comedian car making a joke about Lightning McQueen... and the racers/commentators names, cameos, etc, don't strike me as being too off base, because if you have no idea who Bob Costas is, or Waltrip, etc, the gag still works. They have car-sounding names, and they do a great job calling the action, which is the most important part.

I don't know what this says about me, but both times I've watched the movie, the last few minutes of the final race made me cry... first movie thats done that in a long time.

Also, did anyone else notice the movie defaults to 2.0 audio, not 5.1?

I didn't go into the setup menu at all, but when my movie started I kept waiting for the surrounds to kick in, then realized my recceiver was in Pro Logic mode, went into setup, and 2.0 was selected. I did watch all the extras first, dont know if that has anything to do with it?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I got about half way through the movie before I realized that nothing was coming out of my back speakers at all."

I forgot to mention that as well - did anyone else notice all the dialogue coming through the R&L front speakers on the 5.1 track?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Amen! That was exactly what I thought too when they popped up in Cars. Come on Disney, you're better than that!

BrettB

Senior HTF Member

I think my wife likes that short more than *anything* Pixar has ever done so she enjoyed that quite a bit.

If I went through that entire movie not realizing it wasn't in 5.1 mode I'm gonna turn in my Man Card. :eek:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I went to the setup menu before watching and noticed that it was defaulted to DD2.0.

Made it through about 40 minutes before the little guy got restless and it was time for him to go to bed. Focusing on anything for that length of time is unheard of for him (he's only 15 months old). He was absolutely enthralled with the movie. He went wild with laughter literally every time Mater said anything. There was a lot of dancing around and pointing and screaming throughout. He made faces he's never made before! :)

I have to say, from an artistic standpoint, this may be the most beautiful film Pixar's ever done. The visuals are absolutely stunning. (We watched with the lights on for the sake of my son's young eyes, so I can't comment on the technical quality of the image beyond saying that it looked great.)

I was also pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the story and the characters. I think there's a lot here for young children, and also for adults of a certain age who appreciate the subtext about the decline of the Mother Road. Teens and young adults may not like it as much.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
As to the pop-culture references, they were less annoying than I expected them to be. There weren't that many of them, and most of them related to things that aren't flavor-of-the-moment type stuff (which I find incredibly distracting -- they practically ruined Aladdin for me).

Honestly, I think that the Governator and Jay Leno are not going to disappear from the public consciousness for a very, very long time.

StephenP

Stunt Coordinator
This has been the only Pixar film that I have turned off half way through, and I think I know why... I just couldn't connect with any of the characters, maybe because a car cannot show the same range of emotion through facial features etc. that an animal can. The artwork and presentation are the best pixar has ever done, but I was more involved in the 2 minute Ratatuille(?) commercial than in the 45 minutes I watched cars. I'm glad many of you enjoyed it, but it was a letdown for me.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al

Stephen, that's a similar to the reaction I had. But right after the half way point it does get a lot better. So if you have another occasion to watch it, it may be worth your while to see it through.

And to all you people with the "what has liking NASCAR got to do with watching the movie" ... you don't get it, those of us that said that meant it in the same way one would say "it's not you, it's me". We were trying to let you down easy!

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui

That is a really great story Aaron. Really brightened my morning. Thank you :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Watched it last night for the first time. Loved it.

I agree with Mark about the reason I avoided it in the theaters. The trailer was really misleading about the storyline. I, too, know nothing about NASCAR and figured this film would not be for me. If it wasn't for comments posted here, I'd never have known what I was missing.

And, I agree with everyone that the closing credits were the best part. Off to find the Easter Egg!

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I love Nascar and absolutely loved Cars! My favorite Pixar to date! Picture is amazing on my 124" screen projected by my old Panny PTL500 and the sound will bring a big smile!

Wes

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Yeah. Same here. I don't know why they would ever do that?!

The same thing always catches me by surprise on a lot of music DVDs I buy. There is almost always that option between DD5.1 and DD2.0...and sometimes DTS5.1...but, so often the default is DD2.0. Don't get it.

Carl Walker

Stunt Coordinator

I attended the red carpet world premiere of Cars at Lowe's Motor Speedway back in May, saw the movie 2 more times during the regular theatrical run, and then watched it again last night and I *STILL* cry during the James Taylor song and montage that accompanied the Interstate being built.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I rented Cars yesterday, intending to hold off on a purchase until a BD or HD-DVD release, and not really expecting to like it much mainly due to a bit of disappointment with The Incredibles.

Cars is now my favorite Pixar release, and among my 5 favorite movies overall. Technically stunning, of course, and equally affecting from a dramatic and comedic standpoint.

I do hope that the BD or HD-DVD will have an audio commentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks