What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Brokeback Mountain (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
OK Randal, what part of Sam expresing HIS opinion don't you understand?

WTF? :confused:

There isn't a board-wide standard that dictates how labels should be applied. It is entirely at the discretion of the reviewer. This one happens to be relatively unimpressed by the movie. IT HAPPENS.

--
H

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Oh yes I do. ;) PM me or post something in the Reviewers' Forum, please. (No spoilers, though -- I haven't seen it yet.)

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
The HTF is a "gold" standard on the internet which I admire and look to for guidance. The reviews are also regarded with a degree of respect that transcends a reviewer's personal opinion. "HIGHLY RECOMMENDED" and "THOROUGHLY RECOMMENDED" imply a movie is "more" worthy of purchase/viewing than others which do not receive such descriptions. It's that simple. Reviewing a DVD should be as objective as possible.

Why is it so difficult for some people to admit and correct a mistake? I don't believe it is unreasonable to request having this review appropriately revised.

Now I can see why some fans of the film believe there is more behind the anti-Brokeback sentiment in our culture than lack of film appreciation.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Randall,

I only speak for myself, but when I label a disc "RECOMMENDED" or "HIGHLY RECOMMENDED," the quality of the film is the main, but not the only, factor. A/V and extras affect the labeling. Even if Sam had loved the film as much as you do, it might not warrant being RECOMMENDED due to the only average picture and sound quality and lack of extras.

I'll let him speak for himself, but Sam might use similar standards.

It sounds to me like Steve had a much lower opinion of the film than Sam did, and I can GUARANTEE you that there is nothing behind that beyond Steve's opinion of the film's quality. No film is loved by everybody.

I haven't seen it yet myself, but I think I'll be able to look at it objectively.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
probably not cool to do that in this topic.

by more accurate do you mean closer to your opinion?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Funny how reviews get more "objective" the closer they get to someone's personal opinion.

The reviewer gave his review...he even indicated what drove his "Plot" score. BbM is excellently done, but it has as simple a plot as many dramas. Denied love is a theme as old as storytelling. It's even been done in film hundreds of times, and done regarding gay lovers dozens of times.

What makes BbM special is the quality of the direction and acting. Not the hoary plot :)

I concur that HTF is the best site for movies I've found. I remember when I bought Driven in 2001 because Ron was enamoured of the A/V quality. That was a mistake :D But I respect Ron's opinion. Just like Sam's. I put little stock in Highly Recommended or the like, because there are multiple reviewers giving their opinion. While I appreciate the "short and sweet", I still read the review before making a decision.

If you don't think there is a better version of BbM coming, I have a bridge to sell you.

As for "most" people thinking BbM is the Best Picture, that is not true of the Academy, the Box Office, or even the HTF (top post and third post). Even removing the Star Wars, Batman Begins, and King Kong...BbM was the second highest rating BP nominee.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The Highly/Very Highly distinction can vary from DVD set to DVD set, but I didnt think the plot, the supplements, or the audio/video qualities pushed it into into that realm (all were GOOD but not overwhelmingly great). Had one of the three been up there it would have been a harder choice but as it stands it was an easy decision for me to let my scores alone speak.

On that you are VERY much mistaken Steve, please do share!

Sam

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I think its certainly fair to point to other reviews you happen to agree with, tho I dont know what the HTF policy is in our official review threads. I am fine with the fact that opnions on this movie (heck, all movies) will vary wildly and I encourage readers to form their own opinions and share them courteously.

Sam

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
No knock on DVD File intended, but Bradley-E, your last couple of posts were highly inappropriate and rather insulting to Sam.

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
Aaron,

Thanks for the additional insight. It's sincerely appreciated.

Bradley,

Thanks for the other review. I'm aware of many reviews that go further in praising the picture. My disappointment is that HTF didn't acknowlege the film to that degree.

Sam,

None of this should be construed as an attack. I appreciate the effort reviewing any DVD involves.

MattHR

Screenwriter
It's bad enough we have some people practically dictating a certain movie is the best movie -- one that rightfully should have received all awards. Now we are having debates on which reviews are more worthy?

Man has this thread gone off course.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Randall,
Sam isn't HTF. He's an independent reviewer who uses his spare time to review discs for us. The review thread for BbM is full of praise. My link (Top Ten Lists of the HTF) is full of praise.

The DVDFile review was just another anti-Oscars, anti-Crash, "subjective taste" screed masquerading as a review. He starts out bashing another film, and among his actual praise of the film makes sure to pepper in his subjective feelings on Crash, the Oscars, America, and lastly, the DVD. His Crash-focus is rather telling. Even though I agree that Crash will quite possibly be marginalized in a few years, and BbM will be enhanced with time, it's poor form to include that in a "nyah-nyah" review. Review the film and the disc. Which the HTF reviewer did.

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall

Quite the contrary - we are discussing the DVD, film and its review. I believe that's appropriate.

Chuck,

As a reviewer, Sam represents HTF. In that sense, he is HTF! Any silly customer service seminar preaches that. :)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
But we aren't customers ;) HTF isn't a business, but a community, and we are members :D

I would rather focus on the DVD at hand. I am Netflixing it for my wife, but as I am certain a better edition will be along soon, I am in no rush to get the current DVD. I popped into this thread, merely to show my support for the review and the reviewer. I would say the same thing regarding films I treasure or films I hate ;)

MattHR

Screenwriter
I meant only that we can't seem to be able to agree to disagree.

It always bothers me when there is so much debate over which film is "best". There can never be a best film -- only an individual's favorite. To debate, or be disappointed, that one person's favorite is not the same as another's is irrational.

The whole award scene has always irritated me. It's nothing but a massive PR campaign by the industry. Awards are just as often bought as they are earned. And even when earned, they're still just the favored films/performances of a pre-determined group of people. Nothing scientific to prove which is actually best.

When people cry a particular film/performer was "robbed" of an award, what they're really saying is, "Shame on you for not agreeing with me and voting for my favorite!" My relationship to, and enjoyment of, the film -- any film -- does not need validation by awards or a particular public consensus.

I don't believe for one minute BbM's filmmakers had any sort of "agenda" (although Hollywood, in general, does seem to.) However, I've noticed several examples in the media -- and occasionally here -- where the film's very vocal supporters do appear to have one. They seem to be the ones most upset over the film's Oscar "upset."

And for the record: BbM is one of my favorite films -- of any year. Had it earned zero nominations, awards, or critical praise would not have affected my opinion of the film -- or others.

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall

Doing that would effectively end discussion.

While I do agree the Oscars are mostly a fraud. Many awards are genuine. No picture in the history of the Academy has won as many awards as Brokeback Mountain and failed to win Best Picture. That says more than enough about which film is the real Best Picture of 2005.

Hopefully the DVD will prove popular and we'll get a special edition worthy of all the work and love the creators invested. An insert would be nice too! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks