What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Brokeback Mountain (2 Viewers)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

:thumbsdown: to any reviewer that trashes one film (Crash) to praise another (Brokeback Mountain) needlessly.

It's getting so old.

Sorry, just tired of the Crash trashing.

MattHR

Screenwriter

Agreed. It's almost like a "bully" complex -- where they feel the need to trash one film to validate their higher opinion of another.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I don't think the thread has ever been anything but positive concerning the film. I think it got heated when a specific opinion was mandated as the "right" opinion for the reviewer to have. That rankled some (rightly or wrongly).

As for the DVDFile review...it's terrible (and I won't repeat why it's terrible - I shared reasons a few pages ago). There are lots of great reviews of the film on the internet...that ain't one of them :D

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Bingo! Funny how so few people note that Brokeback is an equal opportunity displayer of skin. We get some shots of Heath and Jake but we also find nice topless bits with Michelle Williams and Anne
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
Hathaway...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

I finally saw Crash tonight, via the Directors Cut DVD. I have not seen a few of the other best picture nominees but I think it definitly holds its own in that category and I definitly disagree with people who say that it is either trash or wont be remembered in 10 years. Gotta find the time to sneak in Capote and Good Night before I can make a legit call of what my favorite of the bunch was from 2005, but I certainly liked Crash as a film more than I did Brokeback. Seems that the whole slate focussed on hard subjects which makes it hard to find them endearing, but you have to admire their fearlessness.

I will say that the Crash DVD set had pretty dececent video quality (some grain in dark scenes, no EE, a few soft scenes but very sharp closeups), b+ sound (especially for a drama) and a pretty good set of extras to boot.

Sam

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Really? I didn't know that either. Now I'm definitely sold! Have to get the movie as soon as possible! ;)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

As do I, which in no way diminishes my admiration for BBM.

I will finally get to see BBM again with my wife this weekend. I'm sure she's going to love it.

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
Narnia roars, but the Brokeback DVD looms large in the number 2 positions for sales and rental.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Ahh, Mike knows me too well. :D A friend of mine is going to loan this to me this weekend and i'll check it out, although i'm already very familiar with Anne's two best friends from Havoc.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
There's only one quick peekaboo scene with Anne in Brokeback, from what I remember of seeing it in a theater. But she's definitely letting it all hang out when it happens!

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Nope.

He said "Narnia roars" but BBM looms large, clearly implying that BBM was second to Narnia on whatever chart he was looking at. As Matt would say, not that any of this has any relevance whatsoever ;).

--
H

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
Well, well, well, aren't we all special today? :) Brokeback Mountain is selling quite well on DVD and that is looming large in my mind! "Distant second" - I'll take that for a $14,000,000 film.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

:laugh:

I would have considered her rather large eyes her 'two best friends'...but who am I to argue?:D

Anyone here check out the Brokeback Mountain 2 image in the movies forum? I think Anne should make a cameo...

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

Oh, bologna. Where did you hear that each actor shot the "intimate" scenes separately and were later combined digitally?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks