What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Brokeback Mountain (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

RandallV,

I would recommend that you take some time off from posting for a little while to get some perspective.

HTF does not review films on DVD for the sake of advancing any cause or agenda other than whether a DVD has been properly authored/mastered by the studio for the best presentation in an enthusiast's home theater.

HTF is not a forum by which anyone looks to judge the art of cinema. Any opinion offered about a film or its merits at HTF is a voluntary bonus by the reviewer, and I should think that every reader is intelligent enough to regard their opinion for what it is...personal opinion.

No one is racist, sexist, or homophobic for not not wanting to get up-in-arms that the HTF reviewer for this title expressed his personal opinion about the film. That's all that any reviewer at HTF is able to do and no more is expect by either the HTF staff or the readership.

You've expressed, along with many of us, a very postive view of this film as an important work that should be appreciated by a wide audience of people. You have the right to express your opinion and the beauty of review threads at HTF is that your opinion can also be read by all those visiting this forum.

Please relax and cease from making inflamed-sounding accusations regarding others expressing different points of view. I think if you took a few deep breaths you might even recongnize that there's far more going on in this thread-discussion worthy of praise and very little that warrants taking a negative point-of-view.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Randall, I'm a gay man, I loved Brokeback Mountain and would highly recommend it to anyone. But your constant harping on this issue is really starting to piss me off.
We don't live in some kind of dictatorship where there is no free speech and reviewers have to print an opinion that is in agreement with the dictator!
I recommended this movie to one of my good friends and guess what? She was disappointed in the movie. She doesn't hate gay people. The movie just wasn't to her liking.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

That has to be one of the dumbest posts ever made on this forum. Didn't we already discuss the fact that a "RECOMMENDED" label takes more into account than just the quality of the film?

There was absolutely no call for the "gay-bashing" comment. Stretching the term like that only serves to cheapen it. It amounts to name-calling, and I think you owe Sam an apology for that.

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
DaViD,

Thank you. I have too much emotionally invested at this point. Starting now I'm officially taking a break from posting. I'll talk with everyone again soon.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
RandallV,

Believe me...when I get emotionally invested in a topic, *no one* can get as carried away as I can so I've got you beat!

:D

Mike, want to remind us of that link? Agreed...we've all been guilty of "thread farting" in the review thread with discussion that would have been more appropriate in the other forum. Thanks for the reminder!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
MattHR,

While officially I have to condemn your shameless rip on a fellow HTF member, I must concede to your satirical brilliance is most entertaining, and I think that even Mr. R.V. would admit that it's worth a chuckle...

:laugh: ;)

MattHR

Screenwriter
He did in fact. If you read back a few posts, he was so "moved" by it -- he practically proposed to me! :) Besides, it wasn't that shameless. He's been subjected to much (deservingly?) worse here. I meant it in a truly "loving" manner. :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Everyone: Please, let's move on in this discussion. Randall, this is the reviewer's very first review. Cut him some slack. He is not "gay bashing." Such is not tolerated here at HTF, nor any other intolerance. Please, please lighten up. Now, let's, as I said, move on. Thank you.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I just want to mention that I think Mike's post should remind people to please use spoiler tags in this thread! There are a few posts back there that should really have them.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
that insert was flippin brilliant!!

Guys, lets try to keep a sense of humor??

Regards

Gregg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm not even gonna respond to that, I think we've all moved on. As for moving on from tolerance to acceptance, like I said in my original review, the power of this film is in getting people talking. I think this thread is a testament to that power, despite the meanderings it has taken =)

I do have to admit that the one thing that I find most interesting in all this conversation is how people are seeing them as alternatively as homosexuals hiding as straight, bisexuals, or straight with a one person exception. Its also interesting that the characters tell each other after their first romantic encounter that they arent 'queer' I think was the term they used, and then never discuss it again. Deep stuff.

The symbolism of the stolen shirt going from closet to closet was lost on me on first viewing, thanks for posting on that.

Sam

MattHR

Screenwriter
Sam, I'm glad you were made aware of that. While I knew the symbolism of the closet was intentional, I almost felt it was a bit cliche. After a few more viewings, I've decided there was no other ending that could be as powerful -- cliche or otherwise.

I think the fact that this thread has taken on a life of its own is a good thing. There are points of view that some may never have (should have?) been exposed to that are worth exploring/ridiculing/condemning/supporting, etc.

As "heated" as the debates seem to get, they really are well-meaning and I'm glad to see it (mostly) remain civil. I feel most of us know when the line has been crossed -- and when to "chill." Sometimes I like to think of these heated discussions as our modern day "bar room brawls" -- sometimes fun, sometimes stupid, sometimes painful, always interesting.

I really do love this forum!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
We must tolerate everyone's opinions, even those we think are ridiculous =)

Yeah, cause a 4 outta of 5 stars is a REAL slam. =) Just want to reiterate that I think this is a good movie, but the extras are average, the audio video qualities were average, and the movie itself was good but not mindblowingly so. It gets a thumbs up from me, but I wont be shouting from the rooftops that people NEED this film in their collection in this packaging. Perhaps 2 of the 3 will improve in a later HD edition and those COULD get a recommended tag from me. Maybe even a directors cut that gives more insight into the story areas that I felt were weak could happen and it will get a _highly_ recommended.

Sam

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Wow! Ho there buddy, let's not get too comfortable in here, stay on your side of the bus :D

--
H

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Hey Sam,

Wanna meet up and go mountain biking in Hartshorne Woods one of these days? Then we can discuss this "Visual Effects/Visual Quality" thing in person :)

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zionaesthetic
Recent bookmarks