What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Blade 2" (Highly Recommended) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Richard Stammer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard
Dear Ron, Thanks for the review. However, have you now written the rest of us off who can't afford DTS? My wife was just diagnosed with recurrence of her ovarian cancer and it will be awhile before we can afford to update from Dolby Digital 5.1 to DTS. The last time I looked at industry figures, the vast number of home theater enthusiasts still only have 5.1. Do we have to go to other forums now to read reviews as this forum has become too elite.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Lewis,

You really think the DD has a little more bass? I'll have to check it again, but I thought that DTS had the edge on this one. Either way though both are great

Rives Elmore

Stunt Coordinator
I thoroughly enjoyed this film in theatres and loved Blade I (probably my most watched DVD next to The Rock).

I watched the DVD last night and was blown away by how loud the audio was on this disc (DTS at first, then switched back and forth between DTS and DD on certain scenes). I had to lower my volume on the receiver significantly lower than my usual in order not to damage my hearing.

I also noticed alot more THUD bass in the DD track, but the DTS bass seemed to be a bit "tighter" for lack of a better word, as did the rest of the DTS audio. Though DD still sounded great

One word on the extra : Del Toro is HILLARIOUS on some of them, he has an odd sense of humor and it rears its head quite a few times....Dont miss the 83 minute documentary on the Making Of....especially the part on the music, theres one hilarious part in there that really caught me by suprise

Anyways...I have found a new DVD for reference material when friends come over...woohoo

StephenC

Stunt Coordinator
Two of my favorite tidbits from the deleted scenes section:
-Michael Jackson was to be in the film
-"F#cking Michael Bolton."

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
The deleted scenes were great, especially the commentary.
"Welcome to Sperm Removal...I mean Deleted Scenes" :D

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
However, have you now written the rest of us off who can't afford DTS? My wife was just diagnosed with recurrence of her ovarian cancer and it will be awhile before we can afford to update from Dolby Digital 5.1 to DTS.
Richard, I'm really sorry to hear about your wife, and I wish her and you the best with her illness. However, I think you're reading into this a little bit too far. I highly doubt if Ron only reviews DTS tracks out of "eliteness," but probably because of time constraints. It takes a lot of work to keep all of us hooligans in order, you know?

BrentJ

Second Unit
I'm just curious about something. I put my volume on 15 and it was louder on this dvd than most at 25. Can the dts track damage my speakers if I raise it on up to where I usually watch my movies? thanks

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Looks like this one will kick butt! :)
Glad to see New Line is still capable of putting out excellent video transfers (I was a bit disappointed with LOTR).
A 6.1 soundtrack! Cool! :emoji_thumbsup:

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Richard,
Ron reviews DTS when possible. He prefers it and makes no 2 bones about that. IT doesn't necessarily make DD bad or the worst of the 2 tracks on the disc. He is just stating his preference(bias I guess) up front which I admire.

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
JUst "picked this up" along with Vulgar..long day ballin. About to kick back and relax and eat my reese ice cream and stroke m....watch Blade II. I'll edit this for my reactions, not to reply a pointless post.

-Bert

As I am reading this post seems BLADE II to be one of the most dynamic soundtrack. :D
I just love LOUD sound.
I said loud but not overpowered
In the case of BLADE II it suits perfectly with all the action coming out.
But the real revelation for me is when I switched on the fly the 2.0 French track for the DTS track :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
God ! The entire Future Shop was shaking and the subwoofer was ready to collapse... Oups !
The Future shop dvd demos are always in french ( it just anger me so much :angry: :angry: :angry: ) in Quebec so it seems natural to me just to show to other clients what BLADE II 'sound is all about :D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks