What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Black Hawk Down" (1 Viewer)

John Anderson

Auditioning
Interesting article about the actors and the roles they played. Pay particular attention to the character John Grimes.
USA Today Article
He was loosely based on John Stebbins and he won the dadsanddaughters.org hero to zero award last year.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

I'm sure the studios are loving that quote.

As for me I rented this last night and though this was based on actual events, I was not exactly entralled with it. I wished they would have developed the characters a bit more. I had no emotional connection with any of them other than them being soldiers in the United States military. I think I read somewhere that they are making a video game from this movie. That's pretty disqusting if that's true.

StevenB

Agent
FWIW, there is already a DTS version out. Not sure when it 'snuck out', but it's out there. For the URL where you can purchase it, email me. I don't want to violate any rules by posting it on this forum.
Steve

SvenS

Second Unit
While I thought the video was very good and the audio for the most part was alright, I don't think the audio track is anywhere near reference quality! The bass was not very prominent and the volume level was definately set to low. For me it drives me nuts in a modern film to have gun shots with very little ummmph behind them (as is the case in reality) as well as helicopters that lack ground shaking bass (as witnessed on the DTS DVD of Courage Under Fire). Other forums like AVS have posts with similar findings as I have so it's certainly not just me and has me puzzled why those here don't seem to have a problem with the audio.

Robert G

Stunt Coordinator
Other than the subtitle BS I thought the disc and movie were wonderful. I would have held off for the SE if I had known about the subtitle problem. Mayhbe they will fix it for that release and I can give my disc to freind or family member.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
SvenS
I too agree that the DD track was weak. I was definately expecting more dynamics in the Audio dept. The choppers, gun blasts, and firing just didn't have that punch and authority that I was expecting. Hopefully the DTS track will make up for this and sound close to what SPR sounded like to us.
Regards,
Troy

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I think the actual master has more to do with SPR sounding better than BHD RATHER than DD vs. DTS. Unless they create a new source, don't expect the DTS version to sound much better. I haven't watched BHD on DVD yet - maybe I will tonight. I'm definitely interesting to see how this sounds.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Just watched it.

Great movie.

OK transfer. What you can see looks good, but it appears to be missing about 30 IRE worth of greyscale, as there is a sharp drop-off to black in the darker areas. This could have been done to aid in compression, or it could have been intentionally done by the film makers.. I did not see this in the theater so I can't say.

Great sound. There was some ~25Hz stuff going on when those choppers first took off that was really cool. Vibrated the entire room.

RogerB

Second Unit
You said it, Sean. I was very disappointed in the poor resolution. Otherwise, the movie was pretty good.

John Boutwell

Stunt Coordinator
I just finished watching it. IMO, one of the best movies ever and is definetely near or at the top of my favorite list. I was very moved by the comraderie (is that a word) of these brave men.
:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

StevenB

Agent
just got the DTS version and watched it today. the scene where they are in the crashed copter (not sure of time, i'll find out) and they shoot and RPG at it. it misses and whizzes by from front right to rear left. INTENSE!! first time i jumped while watching a DVD.
steve

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Hey
I have heard some rumors about the future release of Ridley Scott's Black Hawk Down. This much is known about it. It will contain DTS, commentaries from Scott and others involved with the production, deleted scenes, interviews, documentaries, trailers, and much more. It will also be a deluxe 3-Disc set. I think this is well worth the wait.

luke cav

Stunt Coordinator
R2 details just posted on r2-dvd.org:-

"Black Hawk Down" will be released in the 16th of september. The double disk set will have over 25 extra features including commentaries from Ridley Scott, Jerry Bruckheimer and cast and crew, four featurettes together with items on pre&post production and deleted scenes. More details will be available soon.

At least this time we knew that the special edition was on it's way, instead of buying the R1 basic release. The R2 SE is the first release in the world.

BrentJ

Second Unit
Hello StevenB. I have sent you an email requesting the url for that dts black hawk down. Thanks

DanR

Supporting Actor
So is the Region 1 going to be a 2-disc set or a 3-disc set? Does anyone know if the Learning Channel documentary will be on it? Will the Region 1 version come out in September as well?

Anybody?

Regards,
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks