What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Bend It Like Beckham" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Lovely film and a good review. I would recommend this film to one and all. As my 10 yr old daughter say's, what's not to like in 'Bend it to Beckham'.

Sanjay
Member since 1997

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
The impersonater wouldn't have a job, if that is how bad he acted.
Unless the impersonator was doing it deliberately. Posh and Becks are not exactly known as rocket scientists. He wouldn't have seen this as taking the piss. That said, I love them both for the media hogs that they are.

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
The "Who Wants To Cook Aloo Gobi?” Featurette
was one of the cutest things I have seen in
a long time!
It shows how you can grow up, have kids and an
important job, and your parents can still act
like your parents.
The director's face when she hears her mom giving
her tips is hilarious.
At the end when mom gives the finished food a taste
you can still see the expectation of a grown daughter
wanting approval, but after it is given Guinder takes
her own taste and declares it a success!
She has gown up.
A whole story is told in just 15 min, again
it is one of the nicest extras and perfectly
suited for the movie.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
This remains my favorite film of the year for its sheer exuberance. I crack up during every one of Juliet Steveson's scenes. The disc is a nice presentation, but for some reason it doesn't include the American trailer, which did a brilliant job of marketing the film for the U.S. audience and ends with one of my favorite exchanges:

, that's what she is.

Kenneth Lee

Stunt Coordinator
JoelO,

Did you get the U.S. R1 release as well? If so, can you compare the Video and Audio quality of the R3 DVD you got vs. the R1?

I got the R3 Special Edition (w/ the bonus, complete CD Soundtrack :)), and am pretty happy with the video, but I want to see how it stacks up vs. the R1.

Anyone else get the R3?

Haru

Stunt Coordinator
At first I thought that this film should have been reviewed by somebody else because this reviewer seems to lack the sophisticated adaptability that is needed to properly comprehend the movie from the viewpoint of the people who's lives and culture it represents. But then I thought that appreciation of film like this also needs that from the viewer. The average viewer, fed on a steady diet of Hollywood and unused to film (foreign or otherwise) not specifically engineered to be smoothly fed to mainstream american audiences, would see this film much as the reviewer saw it, and thus in that he has reviewed it for this type of audience, he has done a fair job.

Most mainstream americans don't really get this movie. and nor do mainstream Indians in India. For both, its a fluffy, light hearted sports comedy and thats about all. But it touched many a a raw nerve in viewers who too find themselves at cultural cross roads, taken up in the jostling between races, cultures, languages, and their own struggle to find fulfillment in this turmoil. To people who have been in their own lives where Jess finds herself, or where any of the other characters do themselves, Bend it Like Beckham is a recognition and an exhuberant celebration of their own lives. An alien but sensitive audience and reviewer would pick up on this.

It might be argued that if this was the films message, it could have been done much better. But it was not the film's message. It wasn't trying to advocate anything to anyone. It is simply a depiction of where people find themselves and its upto the viewer to make of it what he or she can. Some feel intimately what the film is about. Others understand. And the rest probably should be at the cineplex wathing somethin hollywood specifically made for them to connect with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks