What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Bandits" (with screenshots) HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! (1 Viewer)

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
Wow...I usually find myself pretty much in agreement with Ron's reviews, but twice this week I've had the exact opposite reaction that he did to films he reviewed. First he didn't care for 13 Ghosts, which I liked MUCH better than he did. Now comes Bandits, he REALLY enjoyed this one....and I REALLY hated it! It's cool though Ron, you're still WAY ahead! ;)
I was on the fence...being a huge fan of Billy Bob Thornton, I wanted to get this DVD, but I just had a bad feeling about this one...mainly because of Levinson's name being attached. After reading a couple of DVD reviews (including Ron's), I went ahead and picked it up. I wasn't sure I'd love it, but with the three leads (and especially BBT), I was pretty sure that I'd at least like it. Not even close. What a mess. There's just so many things I disliked that I don't actually know where to begin.
Everything about it was sloppy (except the cinematography which was outstanding), and the whole thing felt so...um....what are some words...disjointed...thrown together...lazy? I don't know, I just never seemed to get a feel for what it was attempting. It seemed to just clumsily lurch about, using the most crude and lazy plot elements to drive it forward. I agree with the earlier post that mentioned the inclusion of too many ideas and trying to do too many things..complete loss of focus, IMHO. I didn't like the acting of anyone in the entire film. Blanchett was brilliant with whatever it was she was playing...I just don't see how the person she was playing fit into this movie. It was like playing a role with no context! Billy Bob did have a few funny moments, but his character was nowhere near as funny as it could have been. My dislike of the acting was no doubt due to the writing and not the performers themselves. I have no idea what this movie wanted to be...and I'm not sure it's makers were ever clear on this either.
Sorry to be so negative on this one, it's nothing more than one person's opinion though. Power to those who enjoyed it! I agree with Frank T. in that I'd really like to see members come back and let us know what they thought after seeing it. I'm anxious to hear from more members, especially several who's tastes I've grown more familiar with. There's very few chiming in on Bandits so far...what like 40 responses? Seems unusual for a pretty high profile film.
Anywayz..Bandits (:star: of :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: ) is pretty to look at, but I doubt that I could ever force myself to sit through this one again.
Next stop, EBAY! :)

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
Friend and I rented this one last night. The picture and sound were suitable to the material, but I never got a chance to check out the special features.

As for the film itself, it did have some funny moments, but I felt halfway through it seemed to loose its way and my interest. Billy Bob Thornton was very funny as was Bruce Willis, but I found Cate Blanchett's character way too annoying (a shame, because she really is a great actress).

The movie is definitely not something you should buy sight unseen, but may be worth checking out as a rental.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Like many, I missed this one when it was in the theaters. After reading Ron's review, I knew I'd have to add it to my collection "site unseen", especially with Bruce & Billy Bob together again (since Armageddon). I loved it! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Yes, some of it was predictable (only rare films aren't), but it was entertaining as well as a visual treat. I found most scenes to be simply gorgeous (as when Kate places the blue light in the fridge...and the outdoor landscapes which are perfectly cropped). Excellent cinematography!
Bandits was a wonderful surprise and $25 later - it's on my shelf.
I lucked out on the purchase price. BestBuy offered a $10 gift card with the dual purchase of Bandits and Usual Suspects SE. Well the NEW clerk gave me a $10 gift card for each...and they were both already sale priced at $16.99 each so I ended up getting each for only $6.99. :D

josh4040

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
I have to agree with Frank, This movie just didn't do it for me. The second half of the movie was just piss poor. I could give a damn about the romance. Then again my friend saw it and loved it. Maybe I will give it another shot, I did like the start of the movie, I probably wont be selling it. Ron's review and the special at bb sold me on the movie. Sorry to say but Ron needs to make this up to me with some great reviews of movies I wasn't planning to get and get because of him so I can have renewed faith in his reviews. Nothing personal Ron and sorry for all the sh*t you are getting over this movie and oceans eleven. If its any consolation I didnt buy 13 ghosts based on your review, but I am going to borrow it from a friend.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Finally watched this tonight and I will definitely be buying it. The picture was just gorgeous and the sound was pretty dang good too! Ron is on the money with this one! I thought this was an overall great movie. I didn't mind the "slow-down" halfway through the film, as I liked the entire plot line!
Two thumbs up! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
My wife laughed because in the movie, Billy Bob said he had Tinnitus, which I also happen to have, dang ringing! and then later on the kid Phil when they took his truck yelled out he just got the Transmission fixed, my car is in the shop right now getting the Transmission fixed...odd eh?

Good movie I thought..

But the beginning when they meet up with the third guy, and he was practicing as a stunt man, kind a gave away what was going to happen in the end, too predictable to me...

G2

ps...forgot about the soundtrack, the songs were great, and the Shotgun going off was quite a moving deep roar, excellent low end effects there!

Robyn Young

Stunt Coordinator
I thought I'd enjoy this one, and did find some funny moments with it, but ultimately, the story moved along so slowly for me that I kept asking myself why the movie couldn't have been 90 minutes. Aside from a few laughs early, I found myself enjoying only the last 15 minutes or so.

I really think this is a renter first.

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
The first 30 minutes are so are great, but the whole middle section is utterly tedious, I couldn't wait for it to end. The film lacks any penetration in the 2nd act. Such a shame because this film had so much potential!!!
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Tony Bucaci

Agent
Sorry, I didn't care for this film. It tried really hard to be funny, but it didn't pull it off. A waste of your time.

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
Obviously anytime someone states that a movie was good/bad it's a matter of opinion. I happen to agree with you 100% on this particular film, Tony. Welcome to HTF!

David James

Stunt Coordinator
My whole family loved this movie, both in the theater and after having viewed it multiple times at home. So despite Tony's asseration otherwise, it was not a waste of my time :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks