What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Bad Boys II Superbit (1 Viewer)

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
Just curious myself on how much better the Underworld DTS track is over the first one and the Director's Cut for that matter! I thought the audio on the first Underworld was insane!

With three versions to choose from, which one gets the nod?

STARKILLER1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Lou
I only picked up the Bad Boys 2 SB DVD, but now that I have heard how much better it sounds in DTS, I'm going to have to also get Cliffhanger, Underworld, and S.W.A.T. Like Brent said, "It's one of the most amazing DTS tracks you will ever hear." :)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Louie,

If you pick up S.W.A.T. sometime soon please post again and let us know if the DTS track on it is a big improvement over the standard release. If so, I'll definitely be picking it up.
Thanks.

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator
There are some major differences between the releases I've found. One, the score. It seems to be more powerful on the DTS track. Two, the opening looks more grainy than compressed. Now, tomorrow I will be getting the Superbit version of SWAT and I hope it sounds like it did in theaters because the original release didn't do the sound justice. The gunshots sounded so real in theaters, on the DVD they're muffled and restrained. So hopefully the DTS will fix that.

Clayton

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
I agree wholeheartedly with the cliffhanger review. The DTS track is amazing. I'm hard pressed to be impressed with bass (with all the incredible DVDs out there), but especially considering the age of the movie .. well.. you get the idea. Glad I upgraded. :D

STARKILLER1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Lou
Cool Clayton, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the S.W.A.T SB DVD.

Brent, Mike: It looks like Clayton will beat me to it ;), but I will be sure to add my thoughts as well. Andrew has gotten me all excited over the Cliffhanger SB so I may have to watch that one first. :D

Also, is there any news on future SB releases?

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator

MUCH improved on the Superbit version!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

I sat there going "Holy SHIT!" this thing sounds real! The DTS track on the Superbit version of S.W.A.T. is awesome. It's very open, and everything was placed correctly. Dialogue was dead on, and when the shit hit the fan, everything kicked up a notch and sounded extremely clean. What a great disc!

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

Is the PQ on the S.W.A.T. Superbit any better than the original release? Good news about the DTS track. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

I didn't even know that there was a Cliffhanger SB edition.
I am going to have to pick this one up too. It really is one of my favorite Stallone movies. Great action movie period. I have already double dipped on this title. Oh well. I am sure I can Ebay my Special Edition.

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator
I forgot to mention this, but did anyone notice the layer change on Bad Boys II? I always notice layer changes and my DVD player tells me which layer I am on. But on Bad Boys II, the layer change doesn't pause the movie at all. Anyone else notice this? Is this some new way Sony records their DVD's?

Clayton

Shawn Perron

Supporting Actor
All superbit dvds have a nonstandard layer switch. It's supposed to be invisible on most dvd players. One of the unmentioned sales points for superbit disks.

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
Oh btw, how about that scene where Will or Martin in the toilet looking in the mirror?
The camera is outside in a room or corridor shooting into the toilet. In the Collectors Edition there is a jump in that sequence as if there are frames missing or something!?
Is it like that on the SB too?!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

The Underworld DTS soundtrack is great, but I haven't compared it to the other prior releases.

Crawdaddy

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
we in r2 land had underworld released by the normally rubbish EIV but this time they excelled and put dts on from day one !

Nestor_Ramos

Stunt Coordinator
I'm posting my Once Upon a Time in Mexico Review tonight. I was VERY impressed.

Also, Cliffhanger and Underworld later this week.

Nestor

Lev-S

Second Unit
I'de like to report that I noticed a major audio improvement on the Bad Boys II Superbit. After some doing some AB comparisons, the DTS track had a much stronger low-end, more involved surrounds, and a wider, more dispersed front sound-space. Picture quality was a hair better, but nothing amazingly better.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I've read a few reviews that state that the DTS track suffers from a faulty bass signal, causing the bass to be too weak and almost inferior to the 2-Disc set, and that others have said the DTS track is almost no different from the DD track. (Plus, that the picture quality is only slightly improved, but then that is the case with so many other superbit so it hardly concerns me.) Can anyone comment on this at all? I am seriously considering picking this up based on what everyone has said, even though I dont have a major set up that takes full advantage of the superbit format, I'd still like to make sure the DTS track is every bit as good as people say it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks