What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Back To The Future Trilogy" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

James L White

Supporting Actor
Geoff perhaps you just got a bad disc, I find it hard to beleive that the audio is bad since neither Ron nor DVDfile's reviews mention that at all. If anyone else has the DVDs can you report any audio probelms.Geoff I'm not saying you're lying just that your disc or maybe your player is bad.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Geoff perhaps you just got a bad disc, I find it hard to beleive that the audio is bad since neither Ron nor DVDfile's reviews mention that at all. If anyone else has the DVDs can you report any audio probelms.Geoff I'm not saying you're lying just that your disc or maybe your player is bad.
I can't remember the exact details and placement - but an audio problem exhibiting the same problems as described by Geoff in this thread has been reported on the R2/R4 versions of the film.
It would appear the transfer on the R1 titles is exactly the same as the existing releases, problems and all, which have been discussed widely on the 'net, but more importantly, sent to Universal Home Video by a large number of individuals and Internet sites.

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Chris, there are shots in Part 3 (not shown on the above site) that are framed too high as well. Like Marty coming out of the drive-in bathroom in his new 'western' outfit - his sneaker-clad feet (part of the joke) are now cropped entirely out of frame. Still, this is all 'livable' as you put it. It's the other problems that get my goat.
OUCH!!!!

Universal messed up bad. I am totally shocked they even bothered to release it with these defects. This is seriously bad PR for Universal.

I pre-ordered my set but I am debating on sending it back and then re-ordering when the fixed versions ship. I guess I could take it and then watch it and then exchange the bad disk when Universal offers an exchange. Never done it before but I am worried I would mail them out and never seeing anything again. Also nobody is sure if Universal is going to do anything.

I am still trying to figure out how they even messed this up. The people who do these transfers are professionals and should know better. Probably highly paid. Someone must have been mad at someone else.

"Like Marty coming out of the drive-in bathroom in his new 'western' outfit - his sneaker-clad feet (part of the joke) are now cropped entirely out of frame"

Like the error mentioned above how could you possibly miss this?

On or shortly after release date I expect a press release from Universal explaining the error and what they intend to do about it. This is a large release that will do very well. Most BTTF fans have seen the movies several dozen times. Fans of all kinds will notice. Universal can't ignore this.

Chris

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I can't remember the exact details and placement - but an audio problem exhibiting the same problems as described by Geoff in this thread has been reported on the R2/R4 versions of the film.
Phew! I'm not insane after all. But I'm gobsmacked that the other versions have the same audio problems, and I'm glad James posted that - 'cos I was gonna buy the R2 today! I'm glad I got the better of my impulses for once.

And I just want to say this: I don't mind the framing as it is on the dvds. It bothers me, but not too much. It's the technical problems that piss me off. The problems that Universal had the time to iron out for the R1 release - but they didn't. Can someone please tell the chimp in charge of Universal's dvd output to put the banana down and actually look at what he's doing?

I know it sounds like the party line, but the ET mess was bad enough - and now this? As a R2 citizen, I guess I have no right to be asking Universal what they're doing in the good ol' US of A. But laziness in their home country can only inevitably lead to compromised releases around the world. Ultimate BTTF 20th Anniversary Box Set for 2005? Don't bet against it.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
After scanning through this disc a little, Part 1 is definitely the lesser of the 3 presentations visually. Faded and grainy. Saw the new featurettes and in the first film they talk a little about Eric Stotlz and show some pics. Was able to get it 130am from an all night Wal-Mart (in Widescreen) for $37.69.

David

Michael Coate

Stunt Coordinator
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

But what happened to actress Claudia Wells?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had heard long ago, right after part 1, that one of her parents was tragiclly sick and passed away.
She got heavily depressed and quick acting all together.
Claudia was among those who attended the cast and crew reunion party held last night on the Universal backlot.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Ron Epstein said:
I am very limited in what I can say here at the moment, but I will say that this situation
is under review.
Ron, I am very curious as to why your review of 2 & 3 had no mention of the framing issue? Did you not notice? Also how long do we have to wait for a definitive answer.
I'm seriously thinking of holding off on buying this, although I love all 3 movies and am tired of waiting. I just can't condone purchasing this with inferior framing and possible sound problems as well.

Britton

Screenwriter
Geoff, I checked the discs for the sound problems and here's my report.
I didn't hear any crackle in my rears for Part I from the 95 to 97 minute mark.
I didn't notice the sound distortion in Part II at 7:20. At the 76:24 mark though, I did notice the "sonic mush", and the French track was perfect at that point. It's a shame because when I started to watch that scene, I was impressed with the rich and full sound.
And I am also waiting for that definitive answer on the framing situation. My disc for 2 has a few good scratches, and 3 looks like someone but their greasy fingers all over it. I'm kind of hoping there is something wrong with these discs presentation wise and that I will be able to exchange these badly framed, scratched/dirty discs for copies with no sound distortions, proper framing, and pristine, clean playing surfaces. :)
Whenever the HTF chat with Bob Gale takes place, I really hope that one of us will bring up the problem spot with the sound on Part II in addition to the framing problems. From Gale's note to Ron, it seems like we have someone on the inside who is looking out for us (I hope).

James L White

Supporting Actor
Part 1 looks and sound great a bit of grain but overall very nice.
Pt 2 looks awesome and sound really nice slight problems at the 76:24 mark but not enough to raise a fuss.The framing looks pretty damn good to me
PT 3 - No idea haven't watched it yet
the menus and 1 & 2 and I'ms ure 3 are great the making of features are top notch
DVD of 2002 IMO
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Jedrek

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up my copy at Best Buy today and used a coupon for 10% off. Plus, I got the last Widescreen copy left that had one of them free pocket watches in the package. :emoji_thumbsup:
Due to waiting hours in line for TTT and finals schedule, I'll be forced to go through this set on Friday. I'm looking forward to it. :D

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
You can see the "enhanced conversation" with Michael J Fox on Titles 3-8 of Disc 1, instead of having to watch the whole movie waiting for an icon to show up.

Luis A

Second Unit
Has anyone had any loading issues with the discs in their players? I'm using a Toshiba SD-9200 and none of the discs load. I have to stop each disc after load it and then press play to get the movie going. Like I said this is on all the discs, and part 2 wouldn't load at all. It took about an hour for the player to recognize it was a DVD.

Anyone else with these probs?

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
At 76:24 they really do sound like they're under the sea, as the rasping sax is turned into sonic mush by the distortion.
I knew there was an audio problem with the disc, but I didn't read specifics on it to see if I would notice it and yeah it is noticable.

Also, the removal of "To be Continued" in Part 1 seems awkward, like they just removed it, not like they used the theatrical print.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Can any one offer a guess on how much of 2 and 3 are misframed? The screen shots Ron provided look fine to me, with the exception of one or two that *maybe* have too much headroom (but I probably never would have noticed while watching the film).

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'm having problems with BTTF 2 & 3..lots actually.

Aside from the audio problems and misframming,

BTTF 2, doesn't automatically play when I put the discs in like it does with my other discs, THEN, when I get to the menu, and hit 'play', it won't play, I have to access the movie through its scene selections.

Then BTTF 3,
When I want to select a specific scene through it's scene selections, It automatically takes me to the movie, instead of the scene selections.

I own a JVC XV-D723

Should we start a seperate BTTF DVD player problem thread???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks