What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
My copy has played flawlessly on my Pioneer and (shockingly enough) PS2, but then again I don't believe I have ever had a problem with seamless branched DVD's on any player I have owned aside from my very first Pioneer DVD/LD player.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Ha!

Is it abuse that I'd show my kids movies seperately to get an unbiased take on them, or abuse because one kid would have to watch the SW prequel trilogy before seeing the original trilogy? :)

Either way, kids are a long way off... I'm sure I'll know better by that time.

By the way, I've had absolutely no problems whatsoever with my copy of the new AN. I've watched the entire theatrical version straight-through, and watched the Redux version with the commentary on, and I didn't notice any audio glitches, skipping, freezing, anything like that. I've been very pleased with the set.

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
with the branching issue, can someone who's experienced the pausing mention which cut they watched when the pausing happened?

thanks!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was watching the original version.

Just to mention again, my 1+ year old Malata hangs up. My 5 year old Toshiba doesn't. The Malata also doesn't seem to have a problem with the other branching discs I have.

James L White

Supporting Actor
no problems here, I must say I hate the case this comes in and couldn't they have put the original on one DVD and Redux on the other?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Original for me too when it comes to branching issues... and I also wouldve preferred the original poster art to this silly gimmicky looking case. Paramount shouldve also seperated the cuts by disc, as mentioned,

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I think putting Redux on one disc when it was first release was pushing it and adding the commentary probably made it necessary to split it up over two discs. "The Godfather Part II" is a Zoetrope/Paramount disc of comparable length and it's split up over two discs with the only major difference being the presence of a commentary track.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
On the subject of Coppola's commentaries have any of you folks listened to FFC's track on the new Patton disc? I really enjoyed it although his not having had anything to do with the actual production makes for a decidedly different kind of outsider track.....but even so that still doesn't stop the man from being very interesting in the track as it has quite a few interesting tid bit's about the real mans life and the differences in his original draft and the (seemingly few) changes made after his subsequent firing from the project. Very good track from the man.....all of his tracks are of the best quality of course, in fact I wish he had participated on the THX-1138 track with Lucas & Burtt, not that that track is bad by any means but his input would have raised it to "must listen" hights.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Coppola's commentaries are great I love them,but he's no Ridley Scott of
Commentaries ,He could tell us more about making the films ,he seems to
not talk at all about his visuals,why or where he puts the Camera ,what
lenses does he use ect,Other Directors seem to fit this information along
with information about the script and story.

Tom_Ca

Agent

In this case it is a bad thing.

"In a note released with the film, Coppola emphasizes that this new material was not simply shoehorned into the original version of the film, but that Redux is a new rendition of the movie from scratch. He and his longtime editor Walter Murch re-edited the film from the original unedited raw footage -- the dailies, he says, and so possibly even some of the shots that look familiar to us are different takes than the ones we saw before."

So, how is branching possible?!!

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon

That's what I've been asking.

Not to mention, Redux used a completely different type of dye prints compared to the original, which has me even more curious. I don't think that branching should have been used on this release at all, but alas, it has.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I finally got this yesterday, watched a few of the extras, loved the deleted scenes. The FAQ was interesting, Coppola cropped it to 2.1 for video because the original ratio didn't suit home video and resolution was lost? Whaat? How old is that FAQ? :)

Skimmed thru the film, a good clear picture, I've never had problems with seamless branching before so I'm not bothered with that, I just wish they kept each version on it's own disc.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Speaking with no authority whatsoever, the aspect ratios are different, the transfers/colors are different, I don't see how it could have branching.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Might as well provide concrete proof on the whole branching issue.

The maximum a dual layer disc can hold is around 8.5GB.

Disc 1 contains about 8.25 GB of data, roughly the maximum. Title 2 (redux) occupies 4.8GB (raw space) and title 3 (original) occupies 3.9 GB (raw space). Adding all the extras on disc 1 in the mix, and you come out with 10.7GB, or 2.45GB greater than the capacity of the DVD.

On disc 2, title 4 (redux) occupies 4.9GB and title 5 (original) occupies 3.5GB. Add in all the extras and the total is 10.8GB.

Now, if anyone can provide a solid, scientific, provable explanation of how the capacity of these DVDs was exceeded by 2.5GB each, other than branching, please do. Otherwise, give it a rest.

That info also demonstrates that only about 40% of the data space in the original version is exactly duplicated in Redux (the truth is, I'm not entirely certain how to calculate that, but there is clearly less identical source data than not identical). The problem seems to be that some individuals are having difficulty understanding that just because branching is used does not mean the majority of the footage is the same. Just because a "scene" is in both movies does not mean it is coming from the same bit of info on the disc. The undeniable FACT, is that some of the scenes are shared, and there definitely is branching.

Case closed.

widescreenforever

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
arthurjulius
Could some one please tell me what exactly is on the 3rd disc from circuit city..?

I have bought recently the two disc, and now today I have won the three disc version on eBay and will either keep it unopened,, to re flip back on eBay later,, or will give away my 2 disc version to family member., but want to know what the third disc holds.. is it just the 15 minutes of the destruction of the compound with commentary and also the theatrical shorts? Seems like all the extras mentioned are already on disc 1 and disc 2,, how many minutes does disc three hold??

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks