What's new

HTF REVIEW: America's Sweethearts (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
22180.jpg

AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS

I'd like to begin by thanking Columbia/Tristar
Home Video as another studio coming aboard and
giving us early screener product to review. This
is my very first Columbia review and I am very
excited about reviewing their releases.
With a boxful of DVDs arriving at my door this
afternoon, I chose America's Sweethearts as
the first one to watch. While I had not seen this
movie theatrically, I do remember that it received
pretty decent word-of-mouth. I was also looking
forward to seeing John Cusack, who I am a
great fan of, but lost track of his career after
Better off Dead and Say Anything.
I think we have a winner here!
Gwen (Catherine Zeta-Jones) and Eddie (John Cusack)
are America's Sweethearts. They are the
world's most favorite couple on-screen and off.
The world can't get enough of them -- but they have
had enough of each other! You see, Gwen and Eddie
have broken up. Gwen's career is going down the
toilet and Eddie is shacked up at a hokey spiritual
camp (headed up by the very funny Alan Arkin)where
he is trying to pull his life back together.
Back in Hollywood, the studio wants to promote
their final film together, and it is up to
a Press Agent (Billy Crystal) and Gwen's sister
(Julia Roberts) to do the IMPOSSIBLE --- bring
Gwen and Eddie back together for a Press Junket
weekend and hope nobody gets hurt!
The movie turns out to be quite a terrific romantic
comedy thanks to the superb cast that inhabits it.
Whether it be the Hispanic boyfriend that talks
with a lisp, or the dog that can't keep his nose
out of Billy Crystal's crotch, this movie is a lot
of fun to watch.
It's so cool to see John Cusak hasn't lost any of
his comedic charm. I haven't seen a movie of his
in years, and I was pleasantly surprised that he
remains such a natural comic with that boyish charm
that can get him out of any predicament. Thank
goodness he had a funny script to work with that
gave him a good share of one-liners.
But you know what? I haven't told you the best
part of this movie! Two words! Christopher Walken.
Not knowing that one of my favorite actors had
a part in this film, I was just bawling out with
laughter at Walken playing this Director who could
be mistaken for Unabomber Theodore Kaczynski. From
the moment he appears on screen (with Jefferson
Airplane playing on thesoundtrack), you can't help
but laugh. If any one man can add that special
touch to a movie, it is Christopher Walken. I do
promise you that the man does not disappoint. In
fact, his best scenes were left on the cutting room
floor. I'll explain that in a moment.
The reason why I am so excited about reviewing
Columbia/Tri-Star DVDs is because everyone knows
that they have consistently the best transfers in
the business. This transfer is no exception. It
is drop-dead gorgeous. Most of the movie takes place
in well lit scenes and the picture is extremely
vibrant and colorful.
The DVD also sports a booming 5.1 dolby mix. Most
of the time comedy movies aren't known to have very
active sound mixes. This comedy has a very punchy
sound mix with lots of rear effects, low-bass sub
action, and clean, vibrant sound across the front
speakers. I was quite impressed with how well this
film sounded.
The bottom line is that America's Sweethearts
may not be the funniest comedy of recent memory, but
it's one of those "let's stay home and watch something
fun" kind of movies that you and your spouse can
snuggle up together and have a good time with. It's
worth watching just to see John Cusak in rare form, and
Christopher Walken in even rarer form. I tell you --
Walken steals this movie!
When you are done watching the film, be sure to
check out the Deleted Scenes. Every single
one of them are just as funny as anything in the
movie. I was surprised just how good these short
scenes were -- especially with two of them devoted
to Mr. Walken's character.
Definately worth a rent, and who knows...you may
want to buy this one after it's over!
Release Date: November 13
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
Ron,
Thanks for the review. This is one I've been looking forward to. I really liked it at the theaters and it seems to hold up on multiple viewings because I saw it a couple times and it held up fine.
As for Christopher Walken, I agree his character was great.
Mark
Link Removed

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
Ron,
If you like John Cusack, you owe it to yourself to watch High Fidelity! A very funny film, especially the scenes with Jack Black are great. But I digress... :).
Thanks for the review.
-Christian

Luis A

Second Unit
Ron,
Thanks for the review. I had no intention of seeing this movie, but I'll definitely check it out now. I'm also a fan of Cusak and have enjoyed his performance in every movie I've seen him in.Thanks again.
L

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Whilst I do have a soft spot fo a good rom com (more so if Cusack is involved) I will admit I had some reservations prior to seeing the movie. To my delight I enjoyed it a lot and have had it on pre-order for a while.
It's certainly a thrill to know it keeps up with Sony's quality standards for DVD. I will agree Walken's participation in the movie is pure genius, but I have to say Hank Azaria steals the show.
Dan (UK)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Oh man, Walken's in this? I may have to purchase this.
I resisted seeing it at the time because it was another JRob (Julia Roberts) movie, and my girlfriend can't get enough of her. We had just seen (re-watched, actually) My Best Friend's Wedding, Runaway Bride and Pretty Woman, so I was going to be damned if I saw another JRob flick within 4 months of those three. I don't even expose her to that many Hitchcock films in a row.
But after reading your review, Ron, I'll probably pick this up at loss-leader prices at either Fry's or BB.
Thanks for the heads-up!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ron, do you ever NOT like anything?
Mark,
It seems that many of my recent reviews have
been glowing.
Truth of the matter is, I receive so much
product these days that I don't have time to
watch all of it. For that reason, I have to
pick and choose the best films of the lot.
What didn't I like? Do a search for ANGEL EYES
and you'll see a negative review.
Other than that, thus far I have been pretty
much entertained by what I have seen.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Other than that, thus far I have been pretty much entertained by what I have seen.
I think that's why I read your reviews, Ron. Pretty much many of today's movies (especially the big, star-driven releases like America's Sweetheart and Angel Eyes) are not meant to be compared in a technical film-buff type of way. They simply aren't crafted like an old Hitchcock or Godard type of film. They are more for entertainment, and in my opinion, should be reviewed as such. If Ron's reviews say he was entertained by one movie, it doesn't mean that movie will be an instant classic, it just means that he didn't feel like he wasted 2 hours of his life. And that's pretty much the most we can ask from today's "big" movies.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Even tho- I mildly liked this film, Cusak and Walkin was the best of the movie. I'm STILL getting it, as I LOVE Columbia/Tri-Star DVD's.
------------------

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
Have to disagree with you, Ron. I have only heard bad word of mouth upon its Theatrical Release and read poor reviews. But, I don't place all of my trust in reviews and word of mouth and went to see it on its second weekend in theaters. In fact, I try to see what a film is ATTEMPTING to do and cut it some slack before I deem it a "poor film". (I actually though "Driven', while a poor movie in most respects, a decent thrills movie that suceeds in what it was trying to do). For "America's Sweethears", based on reviews and poor word of mouth. my expectations were lowered but I was counting on the stars to carry the movie. I think its respectable performance in the Theaters kept it from being labeled a bomb, but it has been a general concensus that the film as a whole was definitely less than the sum of its stars.
On most counts, I agreed with critics and think it was a poorly thought out film. Many of the plot points were ludicrous and even the 3-4 central characters couldn't do much with the material. I found that it attempted to create big comedic situations out of trivial plot segues and the set ups just took too long. I don't mind when comedian film makers borrow similar comedic sequences from other films (the eavesdropping sequence), but "America's Sweethearts" does nothing beyond convention and NOT ONE PERSON laughed during the sequence at all. Azaria's character had a lot of potential, but I found that the set up of his character was so shallow that I despised him more than wanting to laugh at his antics. There are MOMENTS in the film that are pretty entertaining, but never PRICELESS.
I would recomend purchasing this dvd for die hard Crystal, Cusack, and Zeta Jone's fans. Robert's was somewhat wasted in this movie and I felt it curious of her to share the spotlight with so many other stars and, with the exception of getting to jump into a fat suit, I was curious as to why she played the most boring character in the film.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
Ron-
you HAVE to see High Fidelity if you're a Cusack fan, and Grosse Pointe Blank and Serendipity are definitely worthwhile too.
I think Julia R wanted to play "against type" in this. She was originally cast for the Catherine Z Jones part, but after reading the script, requested the sister-gofer part, instead, IIRC.
I really enjoyed the "double dealing" that Billy Crystal's character did in order to manipulate his stars. I'm sure some of it was outrageous farce, and some of it hit close to home.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Re: "Roberts was somewhat wasted in this movie and I felt it curious of her to share the spotlight with so many other stars and, with the exception of getting to jump into a fat suit, I was curious as to why she played the most boring character in the movie".
Julia Roberts was offered the Catherine Zeta Jone role but turned it down and opted to play the put upon sister instead. She felt the character was too "bitchy" and after playing the bitchy manipulative food critic in My Best Friend's Wedding and the brassy often bitchy Erin Brockovich, she wanted to play a softer less pushy character.
As for sharing the spotlight with so many other stars, she'll be doing that again in the ensemble cast of Soderbergh's Ocean's Eleven remake: George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Andy Garcia, Don Cheadle, Elliot Gould among others.

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
Point Taken. I know of her upcoming role in Ocean's Eleven. Let me clarify what I was getting at. In a comedy, with such vivid "character" roles, I found it surprising that Roberts would play the only "straight" character with the other, more vivid characters being played by the other BIG stars.
Elbert

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
With so many good actors in one film, one would think that this should be an automatic hit. But surprisingly, this film fails overall. It is one of the weakest comedies I have seen in a while with virtually nothing original to offer.
The Hispanic boyfriend is one that is stereotyped. The situations are all predictable with Cusack delivering one of the worst written lines of his career. There was too much talent wasted on a very poor script.
But, the transfer is nice. :)
~Edwin
Edit: Might as well put a rating to the film =
star.gif
half.gif
(out of four)
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780.html#8 http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/006466.html
[Edited last by Edwin Pereyra on November 16, 2001 at 08:15 AM]

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Oh man! Oh man. Just saw this movie for the first time on DVD and it’s horrible. One of the weakest comedies I’ve ever seen. It’s very unfortunate because I love Billy Crystal. Very much enjoyed “Analyze This”. I have absolutely no idea how he could write this and be involved in it. It was so cliché, unfunny and predictable. It was exactly the same as the stupid big budget movies that the movie tries to criticize and make fun of. I’m not going to lie. I did laugh few times but the amount of laugh I had in this two hours movie was 1/5 amount of laugh I have with a 22 minutes episode of Friends. I give it :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: out of 4!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks