What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Amelie" (Highly Recommended) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Jean Weitzmann

Stunt Coordinator
Merci Ron pour cette bonne revue.
Je n'en attendais pas moins.

OOPS! :b

"Subtitles ON"
Thanks Ron for this good review.
I didn't expect anything less.

I got the french edition (Zone2/PAL) a few months ago, which is also a 2-disc set, but no english subtitles for my american friends!
It is unfortunately the case with most DVDs that I bring back from France.
Some of them are released in the US with subtitles several months later, like Crimson Rivers, With a Friend like Harry, Brotherhood of the Wolf (scheduled for October).
But some great flicks never make it here, like, for instance, "Dobberman" (although it has been released in Japan and several other countries).

JW

Matt_Wizall

Agent
This is easily my most anticipated release, even above the FotR set in November. I can't wait. I saw this twice in the theaters and it gets me every time. Even my wallpaper on this PC is of the film :).
Anyways, thanks for the review....

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
A quick aside for those interested in Happenstance (Le Battement d'ailes du Papillon).
DeepDiscountDVD has it for the lowest price I could find: $17.93 with free shipping.
Here's a review of the DVD.
I may have to get this one for myself.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
My most eagerly anticipated release in a long time, outside of the extended version of FOTR.

I love the color scheme (greens accented with reds) found throughout this film, along with the cover art. I'm always disappointed to see the slipcase art littered with non-original-theatrical release copy (...Academy Awards...). However, I understand they do what they can to sell.

Anyone know what the Canadian version contains beyond the breadth of the the US version? And what are the reputable Canadian etailers? Thanks.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
For those curious about the Canadian TVA release, please click on this review from HTF's Michael Perez (hope he doesn't mind!): Link Removed
I got mine from http://dvdsoon.com/ but I don't know if it is still available.
NOTE:
The TVA release is French only. No English subtitles. Buy this only if you are interested in the packaging, or are comfortable watching the movie in French. For me, it was a luxury, as I adore the movie.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
For those curious about the Canadian TVA release, please click on this review from HTF's Michael Perez (hope he doesn't mind!): Link Removed
I'm still left wondering if the extras are in French-only, or if English subtitles are available. Nice packaging only goes so far if the content is unintelligible to me.
DJ

Chris M

Second Unit
There are a few Canadian releases of Amelie according to Link Removed
The one most will want to get contains:
, English Subtitles, Bonus Material: The Look Of Amelie, Fantasies of Audrey Tatou, Q & A With Director & Cast, Auditions, Storyboard Comparison, Intimate Chat With Director, "Home Movies" Inside The Making Of Amelie, Trailers, TV Spots, Cast & Crew Filmographies, The Amelie Scrapbook.
Please note: this 2-disc DVD set is presented only in French with English subtitles
Comparing the extras to what Ron posted, they look identical asside from the DTS soundtrack :)
and the link is Link Removed
There is the French only version of this title, and the collectors edition which the link above points to appears to be french only with no english subs.
Looks good to me! :)
Chris.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
You can't help but to be mesmerized by her large brown saucer-shaped eyes that transmits such loving innocence
Wow, Ron! If only ALL men could communicate the way you do. I'm impressed!

All that AND an updated photo of our esteemed Forum co-owner, too? Someone's in an awfully good mood. Must be one heck-of-a-flick.

Real Name
DELETED ACCOUNT
Great review as always Ron. Thanks for keeping us informed.

This is one of the few movies I saw in the theater in the last year. It was during a trip to Montreal for New Years, and it is one of the most enjoyable films I've seen in a long time. Extremely well done and amusing.

I hope your review gets people who are afraid of subtitled movies to give this one a try. You'll quickly forget the movie is in French as the story would work in any language.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Ron now has gone from the full "Ron Jeremy" to adopting the thousand-yard-stare of Vincent D'Onofrio in "Full Metal Jacket"!

That being said, great review of "Amelie." My favorite movie of last year and an eagerly-awaited DVD.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Ron now has gone from the full "Ron Jeremy" to adopting the thousand-yard-stare of Vincent D'Onofrio in "Full Metal Jacket"!
Well, I sure hope he's not in a world of shit!!! ;)
I didn't think Happenstance was nearly as good as Amelie. Tatou's character is vaguely similar (note that she's only in the film for a few minutes), but the movie is completely different. Happenstance is more like a less-structured version of The Princess And The Warrior. It's way more French than Amelie, if ya catch my drift. (The drift is that it has less of a solid beginning and ending.)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Haven't seen the film. But I did fall in love with the three seconds I saw during the Oscars, and my preorder for this one is on it's way to my house. I'll save your review until after I have enjoyed the film. Didn't know it was a 2-discer...very nice!

Take care,
Chuck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks