DVD Review HTF REVIEW: All in a Night's Work

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Scott Kimball, Feb 28, 2005.

1. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

May 8, 2000

Studio: Paramount

Year: 1961

Rated: NR

Length: 94 Minutes

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1, Anamorphic

Audio: English Dolby Digital Mono

English Subtitles

Closed Captioned

Special Features: None

Estimated Street Price: $14.99, USD

Release Date: February 22, 2005

A powerful New York publishing baron is found dead of natural causes in his hotel bed in Palm Beach - but not before a mysterious woman is seen running from the room wearing only a towel.

Tony Ryder (Dean Martin) is the heir of the publishing business, and is immediately tasked to cover up this scandalous affair. Katie (Shirley Maclaine) is the woman seen running from the hotel room, but she wasn’t having an affair with the man. She’s so innocent, in fact, that she doesn’t even suspect that all the attentions heaped on her by Tony (who thinks that Katie wants to blackmail the company) have anything to do with her having been seen in the hotel.

It’s all a farcical case of mistaken identity that has Martin and Maclaine, along with the likes of Cliff Robertson, Jack Weston, Charles Ruggles, Gale Gordon and Richard Deacon all atwitter.

The film may be wholly implausible, but the chemistry between Martin and Maclaine makes for an entertaining outing.

The Look
    All in a Night’s Work is presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.85:1, and is anamorphically enhanced.

The print, for the most part, is immaculate. With the exception of a few brief scenes, the image is free of scratches, and exhibits only occasional mild specks of dust. Grain is very fine. A few brief scenes display heavier grain, as if those scenes were taken from different work elements. These scenes also tend to be a bit softer than the majority of the film.

Overall, the picture enjoys good sharpness, delivering excellently detailed textures while rendering nicely saturated colors. Black levels are solid, while still expressing adequate detail in the shadow areas.

The picture seems free of compression artifacts, and shows no overt signs of edge enhancement.

The print looks wonderful and the transfer is very nice for a film of this age.

The Sound
    The audio is presented in Dolby Digital Mono. Frequency response is adequate, allowing for excellent fidelity and clarity in the dialog. Music is adequately represented in this mono track. A mild background hiss can be heard at high volume levels, but it isn’t distracting.

Final Thoughts
    This above average Dean Martin comedy scores on the strength of performance and chemistry. Even if the story is a bit flat, you’ll have a pleasant enough time watching so as not to notice. Paramount has delivered a quality transfer of this film, but there are no extras to be found.
  2. DaveyM

DaveyM Stunt Coordinator

Aug 12, 2003
    I'm hoping Paramount will release "Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed?" next. It's a fun movie with a great cast: Dean Martin, Elizabeth Montgomery, Carol Burnett and Martin Balsam.It's rarely shown on tv and a dvd would be great news for me.
  3. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Jul 19, 2002
    the film is slight (Maltins guide describes it as featherbrained and its not too far off), but the picture quality of this disc is astonishing.
    this is one of, if not THE, best looking 45 yr old films i have ever seen.
    not only does the print look immaculate, but Paramount transfered the film damn near perfectly without introducing any annoying distractions.
    EE is totally non exisitent.
    it just doesn not get better than this.

if only every film could look this good.
  4. ArthurMy

ArthurMy Supporting Actor

Jul 27, 2004
    I must concur with Paul on this. It's really colorful and really sharp - not just the foreground, but the background people and objects, too. I'm praying Li'l Abner looks this good.