1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Alice in Wonderland (Highly Recommended!!!)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by DaViD Boulet, Jan 12, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Watched it tonight, and the transfer image is stunning. It's at least on par with, and I think better than, Sleeping Beauty. The colors are gorgeous. I think this release will go a long way to shoring up this film's place in the Disney canon, elevating it from (what I have always perceived as) 2nd tier status.

This has always been one of my very favorite Disney films, right up there with...

Mary Poppins. Bring it on. I'm ready.

2. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Gary Tooze just posted a screen-capture comparison between the Gold and SE edition for Alice:

http://207.136.67.23/film/DVDCompare...wonderland.htm

EVERYONE should check out his site and take a look. If you've never visited his site before...be sure to book-mark it. It is THE very best resource to compare the quality of DVDs (where multiple versions of the same title exist in one or more region).

3. Michael St. Clair

Wow, there is a TON of detail decimated by the old, dark transfer.

I have no idea which colors are truly the most accurate to the original prints, but it's really a moot point once you see those shots.

4. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Cinematographer

Peter Fitzgerald
    Hey, check this out:

At the very beginning of the ONE HOUR IN WONDERLAND special, when Santa Claus pulls a gift out of his sack and puts it on the floor, a pretty girl pops out of the box with a tray full of Coca-Colas. That girl is future movie/TV star Vera Miles (THE SEARCHERS, THE WRONG MAN, THE F.B.I. STORY, PSYCHO, THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE, etc)!

5. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Wow that ain't even close! Old transfer - Off with your head! Oops, I mean Off to EBAY!

6. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

David, its unbelievable the amount of effort you put into your reviews. Bravo... Bravo!!!

7. Matt M

Matt M Extra

It has been a long time since I've seen Alice and I was wondering if the picture was supposed to go black and white when the rabbit smashes the white rabbit's watch at the tea party (about 50 minutes in).

8. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Wondered the same thing. Noticed this on both the new and older version, so I imagine it's supposed to be that way but it does feel odd when watching...

9. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

Yes, it is definitely supposed to be that way. Always has been. [​IMG]

10. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Walt Disney also used that device after Mickey killed the broom with the axe in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" number in Fantasia. I guess in Disney's universe, when you kill an inanimate object, all color is momentarily drained from the world. [​IMG]

11. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell

I remember seeing this on the DVD, but not on fantasias 1990's VHS. does any one know if this is how it played in the theaters? The reason I ask, is the B&W on fantasia doesn't look finished. I haven't had a chance to watch alice yet. (hopefully this weekend!)

12. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Wow!, thanks for that link. The first frame comparison is very telling. Look at the swans and the reflection of the trees on the lake. Wish I had a Gold Collection just to compare.
    This disc (ME) does look stellar. Micheal, I too wondered about the accuracy before I posted, but who cares?

13. Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks Second Unit

Scott Shanks
    Is there a $5 upgrade rebate for owners of the Gold Collection DVD?

14. MarkHarrison

MarkHarrison Supporting Actor

I just watched "One Hour in Wonderland" last night on disc 2 and noticed that "Clock Cleaners" seems to be unedited. This was a nice find since Mickey Mouse in Living Color and The Great Mouse Detective both have the edited version.