What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Alice in Wonderland (Highly Recommended!!!) (1 Viewer)

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Watched it tonight, and the transfer image is stunning. It's at least on par with, and I think better than, Sleeping Beauty. The colors are gorgeous. I think this release will go a long way to shoring up this film's place in the Disney canon, elevating it from (what I have always perceived as) 2nd tier status.

This has always been one of my very favorite Disney films, right up there with...

Mary Poppins. Bring it on. I'm ready.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Gary Tooze just posted a screen-capture comparison between the Gold and SE edition for Alice:

http://207.136.67.23/film/DVDCompare...wonderland.htm

EVERYONE should check out his site and take a look. If you've never visited his site before...be sure to book-mark it. It is THE very best resource to compare the quality of DVDs (where multiple versions of the same title exist in one or more region).

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Wow, there is a TON of detail decimated by the old, dark transfer.

I have no idea which colors are truly the most accurate to the original prints, but it's really a moot point once you see those shots.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Hey, check this out:

At the very beginning of the ONE HOUR IN WONDERLAND special, when Santa Claus pulls a gift out of his sack and puts it on the floor, a pretty girl pops out of the box with a tray full of Coca-Colas. That girl is future movie/TV star Vera Miles (THE SEARCHERS, THE WRONG MAN, THE F.B.I. STORY, PSYCHO, THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE, etc)!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow that ain't even close! Old transfer - Off with your head! Oops, I mean Off to EBAY!

Matt M

Grip
It has been a long time since I've seen Alice and I was wondering if the picture was supposed to go black and white when the rabbit smashes the white rabbit's watch at the tea party (about 50 minutes in).

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Wondered the same thing. Noticed this on both the new and older version, so I imagine it's supposed to be that way but it does feel odd when watching...

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Walt Disney also used that device after Mickey killed the broom with the axe in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" number in Fantasia. I guess in Disney's universe, when you kill an inanimate object, all color is momentarily drained from the world. ;)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I remember seeing this on the DVD, but not on fantasias 1990's VHS. does any one know if this is how it played in the theaters? The reason I ask, is the B&W on fantasia doesn't look finished. I haven't had a chance to watch alice yet. (hopefully this weekend!)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Wow!, thanks for that link. The first frame comparison is very telling. Look at the swans and the reflection of the trees on the lake. Wish I had a Gold Collection just to compare.
This disc (ME) does look stellar. Micheal, I too wondered about the accuracy before I posted, but who cares?

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I just watched "One Hour in Wonderland" last night on disc 2 and noticed that "Clock Cleaners" seems to be unedited. This was a nice find since Mickey Mouse in Living Color and The Great Mouse Detective both have the edited version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks