What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I saw a new print for PSYCHO at the theater a month or so back so I'm rather shocked that so much grain is present. The print shown that night was in wonderful shape with no grain at all. Has the matting issue been corrected on the PSYCHO disc? The last release seemed to be matted a tad bit too much. I never really noticed this issue, like others had until I watched it in the theater.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Just received my collection in the mail today. I previewed all the discs and I wasn't disappointed in the least. As for the issue of grain, Psycho's got nothing on Rear Window, in my opinion. I'm not complaining, just observing that Rear Window seems to have the most grain.

Torn Curtain is the one I watched first as it's a Hitchcock picture I'd never seen before and it looked great on my DLP projector and 80 inch wide screen. Great color and good detail.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Finally got around to testing VERTIGO on our 57" widescreen RP set downstairs just now. Looks wonderful upstairs on the 36" direct view set, but what DVD doesn't? This was the real test.

Very very good.

It doesn't have the detail and sharpness of, say, THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, but it's still very pleasing. This is probably the best it can look short of a lavish HD transfer. I'm happy. Not ecstatic, but happy.

Now onto THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY.....

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The review has just been updated with...Rope.

I have not decided what's next. Any requests?

- Steve

JayHM

Stunt Coordinator
Would love to see your take on Shadow of a Doubt, and it's audio-sync issues...

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I would love to know what has happenes with Marnie, a favorite of mine.
One the last DVD the color was way off and the sound had been excessive noise gated.
I hope both problems have been fixed.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Definitely another vote for Shadow of a Doubt here too.

This is one of my favorite Hitchcock movies, and I am very curious to know whether I made a grave error in selling my original due to the proported sync issues.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Well, I threw in a quick update to Psycho extras, and hope to set up a squishy A/B comparison with the picture in picture function on my TV. That should allow me to compare Marnie, Psycho, and others directly (or at least, as directly as possible). And yes, I'll watch Shadow of a Doubt. Both Marnie and Shadow are new to me, so it should be fun.

Right now I need to get some breakfast and see if I can find the paperwork for my dead refrigerator, which appears to have just expired after the end of its warranty. Sigh.

- Steve

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I don't have my copy of the collection yet, but someone I know who does has checked several scenes in his new Shadow of a Doubt disc, and he says he hasn't detected any out of sync audio at all. So hopefully the problem that JayHM posted about here is just due to some playback/bad-copy issue, or something like that, as opposed to something inherent to all the new discs.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I've just looked again at those two moments in Shadow of a Doubt.

The first one is perfect -- nothing wrong with it.

The second one, where Teresa says "I've brought you water," the line appears to be edited. Either they used a separate take for the audio, or they cut a word out of it. Whatever was done, it does look odd. But it's as in synch as it's gonna be -- the rest of the scene is perfectly in synch.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Steve Tannehill,

Dude, been there. It sucks. Our refrigerator died (after warranty, of course) and it has been 'fixed' literally five times by Sears, the last time looking like the proverbial charm. Utterly frustrating when your wife or you have to take the day off from work and wait for a repairman too.

But, I digress. Thanks for checking out Shadow next, and please know your hard work reviewing this set is appreciated.

DeeF,

Thanks. Encouraging news.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'm on the phone with Maytag now, seeing if I can get a supervisor to intervene on behalf of a refrigerator that is just three months past the 60 month warranty. Maybe I should tell them I'm a Psycho with a Rope and they don't want to see me in a Frenzy... :) This was not how I wanted to spend today. :frowning:

Ah, I'm being transferred now.

- Steve

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for that. I've often heard that the Hitchcock logo was used as his cameo in Rope, but have never been able to find it. I'll go and check it out ASAP.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

I'd be curious to see the previous edition to see if it is similar. If anyone has the old disc, please chime in.

But even then, I saw exactly what DeeF saw. I did notice a bit of a jump as she entered the room, just before the second instance. Perhaps that is how it got out ot sync. Or perhaps it was looped badly.

I'm going to finish up with Shadow and probably call it a day. Great movie, by the way. I had never seen it. Except the climax.

- Steve

JayHM

Stunt Coordinator
Re: Shadow of a Doubt

The sync issues with my disc are consistent. If other people aren't seeing it, then it's either a defective disc, or a player issue (I'm using a Philips DVP642). I'll check the disc on my computer when I get home.

I should point out though that the sync was off by only three or four frames...

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

I could be wrong, but I thought his cameo in Rope was right at the beginning of the movie where it shows a street or something before the movie takes place inside the apartment or whatever the place is with the party.

And here's your answer from the reviewer of the set... Where's Hitch?
I am fairly sure he is walking north by northeast in front of the apartment building just after his credit. There is also a flashing red neon sign with his profile at 55:18 in the distant background.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

Same thing. I'll clarify in the review on my next update. The filming of the second, less-subtle (non-neon) appearance is mentioned in the documentary.

- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks