What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Aladdin - 2 Disc SE - UTTERLY RECOMMENDED!!! (1 Viewer)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Definitely planning on picking up this release when I see it! Well-written review, David!

I do have one question to ask: Are the lyrics at the start of the film the revised lyrics as on the VHS, or are they the original lyrics as was heard in the original theatrical version? I'm taking it, based on your review, that the lyrics are the revised ones used for this DVD, though it's not stated outright. That's the only "change" I'm concerned with here.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Disney was able to get premium voice talent for cheap, because all the top actors wanted to be enshrined in a Disney film. I remember when each Disney movie was released, the lead voice actor would be interviewed in the paper, and it was always something like "I'm doing this movie for my kids", etc. Disney had no competition for many many years, and it was more of an honor to appear in a Disney film than a job.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Bill,

The lyrics are revised...as they were on the VHS and both laserdisc editions... We're just going to have to live with it.

BTW, I thought that the revision even affected the lyrics in the theatrical run...is that not correct? Only on home-video?

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I know I wish I still had the Aladdin CD I bought in 1992
smile.gif
They were changed pretty early. A shame, as it was not a big deal.

Thanks for the info, Ernest. I wasn't questioning their methodology...I've never had a problem with their voice talent. I was just curious :)

Take care,

Chuck

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
BTW, I thought that the revision even affected the lyrics in the theatrical run...is that not correct? Only on home-video?

Only on home video. Aladdin was not altered during the 1992 theatrical run.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
So this answers my question on if there is a higher rating than "highly recommended"...
wink.gif

Seriously, I'm just torn between saving some cash and getting the SE or splurging and getting the gift set.
biggrin.gif

ZackR

Supporting Actor
There was a musical line in the song "Arabian Nights" that said:

Oh I come from a land, from a faraway place
Where the caravan camels roam
Where they cut off your ear
If they don't like your face

It's barbaric, but hey, it's home

It apparently offended some people, supposedly was insensitive to Arab culture, etc etc etc...
Personally, I hate it when anything like that is changed in order to appease people's over-sensitivity. However, it has altered on every home video release I have owned and in today's even more politically-correct world, that line will never be reinsterted. And really, it is not that big a deal. It doesn't affect the movie at all - and an excellent movie it is! For me, like I said, I despise political correctness and I hate it when it finds its way into movies and entertainment. But oh well. It is a great film and I can not wait to add it to my growing animation library.

BTW, David, a most excellent review! And on a side note, Ernest, I have immensely enjoyed you posts lately. As a animation (and especially Disney animation) fan, I have learned volumes from you on this forum. Thanks!
smile.gif

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow.

What's surprising is not that Disney changed it, but that it ever got to the screen in the first place, given Disney's modern PC stance...

That's something I would expect out of Shrek's creators :D

Thanks for bringing me up to speed.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Great review as always David, although sadly you did not convince me to buy the title...as I was going to anyway, but thanks for the awesome review.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Fantastic Review David... Serious work there... *tips hat*

Everyone has a favorite Disney film, this one being mine, mostly because I think Robin Williams did some of his best improv on this film... his soul is in this film and this added to the Family allurement.

Great to see Disney studios did a fantastic job on this DVD, I'm all over this.

(Did Disney get the soundstage right with the L/R Rears? *Dissing LucasFilms*)
biggrin.gif

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Just had to say thank you for such an extensive review, and that as a reader, I appreciate the time spent on that. I saw this on sale at one of the chain stores locally today, and did not buy my copy, because I know that every time I do that at a store that ignores street date, it's hurting the smaller video dealers, and I used to be one.

I looki forward to seeing this release on Tuesday, what a great movie and sadly, it will remind me what has happened to Disney animation since its release.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Thanks David, for your solid review. The time and talent you invested in it is greatly appreciated.:)

quote:for the effect to create a clear and localized point-source for the vocalist, not only would one need to have timbre-matched rears, but the surround speakers would need to be direct-radiating (not dipole) and one would also need to be seated dead-center in the “sweet spot” between them and have the sound time-aligned properly front-to-back.
October can't come fast enough for me. I'm excited to hear this new mix, experimenting with M&K SS-250 tripoles sides and rears. Time-alignment covered, I'm wondering if direct-radiating will be better alone, or direct-radiating combined with dipole accompaniment per speaker will make the difference in the experience.
thumbsup.gif

Paul

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
The ironic thing is, I actually prefer the revised line. Not for any reason of offense or political correctness, but I think the new one flows better and just has a better rhythmic sense. Go figure.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Wow! David, incredibly impressive review.

I have the disk already. It is wonderful, a delightful presentation.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Another terrific and informative review from David.
smile.gif
This is a Disney gem and one I owned on laserdisc for many years.

Really looking forward to this in my dvd collection. I absolutely love the scene where the Genie (Williams) is impersonating Ed Sullivan. Williams voice was brilliant in this film.

Great job David!

Brendon

Second Unit
Can I join in the "me too!"'s and say thanks for an excellent review ?

I was picking this one up regardless, but the LD to DVD comparison on both audio and video is very much appreciated.

Cheers!

Brendon

AnthonyL

Stunt Coordinator
nice review David espec. the CAV LD comparison which I own. btw, I noticed there is also a Gift set available( with New Sketches by Original Animator, Animation Frame from Film,and Companion Book). Is there anything else on the gift set that is different from the regular SE?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys,

glad you all like the review!
blush.gif

Anthony, not sure what's in the gift set as Disney only sent me the regular 2-disc Platinum SE...so your guess is as good as mine.

quote:BTW, David, a most excellent review! And on a side note, Ernest, I have immensely enjoyed you posts lately. As a animation (and especially Disney animation) fan, I have learned volumes from you on this forum. Thanks!

Agreed...Ernest's contributions to these Disney (and other) threads have added immense value to the Home Theater Forum. I've learned so much myself...and gained such a deeper appreciation for various films and creative talent that would not have "been on my radar" were it not for his discussion.

Thanks Ernest!

-dave
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks