What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: 21 Grams (1 Viewer)

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
Watching this film made me want to slit my wrists.

A very bleak and depressing film.

I thought it was well directed and with incredible acting but I don't know if I could view this one again

I'm glad I rented it.

Chris Parham

Stunt Coordinator
Saw this film last night and was absolutly riveted from the opening scene to the last frame. IMHO this is one of the finest DVD presentations I've seen on my Home Rig in awhile.
The juxtaposed images at the beginning reveal there chronology via the filters and grain structure employed. Sharp as a tack and almost 3 dimensional when the charcters are "recovering" and lucid, Hazy and hued in there crisis and dark and grainy in the depths of their ultimate destination.
Fantastic! I will definately seek out Amores Peros.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
This is a great film (saw it theatrically), but I'm glad I avoided picking it up at BB Tuesday. Looks like I saved myself yet another double-dip.

chris_clem

Second Unit
I love this film and I already have my copy:D

I have a question about Amores Perros though, how many versions of this DVD are there? The reason I ask this is because I was about to purchase Amores based on the reccomendations here. But, when I looked at Amazon.com two versions are listed. One for $12.99 and the other for $16.99, aside from the covers though the differences aren't listed. Which should I get and why?:)

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
There's the original version released in 2001. Then there is the Lion's Gate Signature Series Collection, which to tbe best of my knowledge is the same disc and features with different packaging. Anyone that knows different, feel free to correct me.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I guess I'll be the first to say I was very disappointed in this movie. We'll never know whether the actors really did a good job at their parts or not due to the chopped up editing which makes the movie very incoherant and pointless... Though seemingly made kinda like Memento, it doesn't even come close..........IMHO......

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

Nothing wrong with not liking the film Donny. I do have to say though, if you had trouble discerning whether Naomi Watts gave a good performance during the breakdown scene in the kitchen, I don't know what to tell ya;). I had to rewind just to take in the full effect of the performance. Penns expression throughout the scene was also perfect in conveying the outright pity (and more but I don't want to delve into the movie since this is the DVD discussion) he had for her. One of many character moments that I found extraordinary in this film (performance and storywise).

Chris Parham

Stunt Coordinator
IMHO what you refer to as "chopped up editing" is a device used in many films to ensure that the audience is challenged enough to stay focused. The chronology of each event isn't as important as the true human emotions displayed within them. I think this is a point unto itself!
Furthermore there are enough hints (film stock, filters, even hairstyles and facial hairiness,gauntness) to allow the viewer to put together the sequence of events.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Actually, it was the jigsaw-puzzle manner in which
this story was told that kept me riveted to the
screen. I loved the fact that though we were given
only little clues as to how the stories of these
individuals would end, the real fascination was
how the stories evolved into those endings.

(not sure if that made sense or not)

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I was riveted to the screen as well. And it's to Inarritu's credit that (at least for me) the film was never confusing to the point of frustration. On the contrary, I thought it was extremely effective. In fact, I've seen numerous films over the years with traditional linear narratives that actually confused me more than 21 Grams.

George See

Second Unit
Just watched the movie thought it was fantastic. Interestingly enough the dvd case from Blockbuster actually says there are extras on the disc. I guess the extras were yanked from the disc after blockbuster had already printed up their covers...must have been really last minute. I came on here to see if I could find out how to get to the extras, I thought I was going crazy and kept thinking I must be missing something somewhere. Oh well. The two extras listed on the blockbuster case are the obligatory Making-of featurette and something called 21 Grams in Fragments. I'm glad I rented so I don't have to double dip.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
An amazing film, probably the best of '03 (still have a few to go). The fragmented editing didn't bother me nearly as much as MEMENTO, which I found gimmicky, did. Will buy this when an SE is released.

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator
Craig, thanks for that link. Helps a lot.

The studios really need to learn to manage their time better. Things are different from the old VHS days, where you didn't have to worry much about the narrow window between theatrical and home video release. DVD demands more than just the movie, consumers hate double dips. They need to have this stuff ready to go for home DVD release.

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
This is an excellent movie however, I do not plan on purchasing it even if a SE version comes out.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have to side with Romier here. I don't see how the fractured timeline in any way detracts from the outstanding acting. This film is a veritable acting showcase. Not the loud, tantrum type of acting you always see clips of on The Tonight Show and Charlie Rose, but the genuine article that usually doesn't get much attention.

I also agree 21 Grams doesn't come close to Memento. It blows it away, and Memento is a pretty fine film. In fact, now that I've seen In America, I think I can say that 21 Grams is possibly my favorite of the year.

I'd also like to point out that it was shot by Rodrigo Prieto, who also shot 25th Hour, which was my fave of 2002 and which I also think had the finest cast of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks