1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HTF Poll: How do you have your surround system configured? Vote and you could win a $50 Amazon gift

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Adam Gregorich, Apr 1, 2011.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Man, I don't want bag on your setup; we all do the best with our space and budget constraints. But I thought Quadraphonic was sonically a terrible audio setup? Maybe I mis-remember my scattered audio-format readings?

2. Nick Martin

Nick Martin Cinematographer

I have a 7.1 receiver, but I use a 5.1 configuration because I'm in an apartment. Furthermore, I have it connected in what sounds like an unorthodox way:

I have the two rear channel speakers connected to the "Surround BACK" ports for 7.1, instead of the standard surround ports.

The reason for this is I've found that on the few 7.1 releases I have, being the "Star Trek" trilogy of films and the season 1 release of "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation", the sounds you would hear in a 5.1 mix have been moved to the surround back channels instead, so if I have the speakers connected in standard 5.1, ignoring the surround back ports, I get that, I guess it could be called the "middle surround" sounds coming through, and therefore not representing the mix properly.

By having it connected this way, I am not missing any of the sound mix, and surround upmixing is just fine - everything is just fine and dandy this way.

I tried a 6.1 configuration once, but because the rear center speaker was directly behind my head when sitting on the sofa, I found the balance off, as well as I was always paying too much attention to what was actually being poured into that one speaker, especially for films with a monaural surround mix.

3. NeilO

NeilO Producer

I just have a 5.1 system.

4. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I currently have a Yamaha receiver with 6.1 setup....I'm actually considering an upgrade to a 7.2. It's a tossup between a Yamaha RXA1000B and an Onkyo HTRC270 but will have to think about it further before I decide.

5. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor
    Supporter

Doug
    7.1 system set up as 5.1. It's all I need.

Doug

6. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW

7. Nick Martin

Nick Martin Cinematographer

I believe it completely - I'm in an apartment so there's definitely a series of compromises to be made, and I've found that there is more bass / power in using two large front speakers versus those plus a center, but that could just be because my center speaker is of a different brand and size to the front stereo. I use the center mainly because I'm just so accustomed to it being there, and also because it's not as powerful it makes for easier listening at night, especially if I'm watching something in 2.0 stereo using Pro Logic on it.

8. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    7.1 with rear wall-mounted speakers. Need to get a newer BD player for DTS HD MA.

9. bgart13

bgart13 Screenwriter

Ben
    So I am disqualified for only having two speakers? Sheesh...guess I'll go spin the new Fleshtones 45 on my record player... :cool:

10. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Man, There are definitely compromises in my 5.1 setup due to the room size (surrounds are much to close to the listeners). :) The negative discussion I read about a 4-speaker setup may have been for a different setup. I've just had it stuck in my head that a 4-speaker setup has certain properties that make it inferior to other setups; better to use a stereo setup than a 4x configuration. In any case, if it sounds good, keep enjoying it :)

11. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

My getting a 7.2 (like sayiing that coz I got me twin subs) was actually a very pleasant accident. THe guy I bought the speakers from was getting rid of his whole system, so when asked if I would like to get the extra sub and 2 extra surround speakers, I asked for how much more. He said its free, so who am I to argue right?

12. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member

Charles Smith
    Free is such a nice price. Congratulations.

Man, I lost track of what the 4.0 represents The two Vandersteens and what else? What was the configuration again? And how do you set sound options on your receiver? I know I could go back and re-read, but would rather just ask!

By the way, you can't do better than Vandersteens for enjoying a phantom center channel. Those speakers have always "imaged" beautifully.

13. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Founder, Professional Video Alliance
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    I have a 7.1 system and am using it in a 7.1 configuration with rear/back channel speakers.

14. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I'm using a 5.1 system but have the option for 7.1....however I also use 2 beastly SVS PB 12 Plus/2's as well. Hehehe they will move your jewels.

15. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

5.1. A receiver upgrade would be to get the current sound formats, not for more speakers.

16. Ferdinand Hudson

Ferdinand Hudson Stunt Coordinator

Ronnie
    I have a 7.1 receiver but only using it in a 5.1 configuration.

17. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

7.2 system in the Main Room (HT) with Atlantic Technology 8200e THX Ultra 2 mains, an AT 6200e THX Ultra 2 for the center channel and four AT 4200e THXs for the surrounds (side and rear). Two sub are also in the system - a SVS PC-Ultra and an M&K MX-350THX. My main surround system.

5.1 system in the bedroom (Energy Take 5 system + Energy Subwoofer) It does a nice job.

2.0 system in the music room (conservatory) using Atlantic Technology's AT-1 H-PAS speakers (capable of flat output down to 30Hz) powered by an Outlaw RR2600 Retro Receiver. Main use is to listen to vinyl on my B&O Beogram 4200 Turntable with a SoundSmith Ultra Low Mass Moving Iron Phono Cartridge. Don't laugh. It sounds beautiful.

"pseudo" 7.1 Sound System in the Living Room using an Atlantic Technology SG-7000 sound bar and an Atlantic Technology SB-800 Subwoofer. I didn't want to set up another surround system in my house with more satellite speakers and this sound bar does an admirable job of producing room-filling sound.

18. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Another plain jane 5.1 system here...

19. Ally

Ally Agent

Ally
    voted 7.1 system

20. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    Those of us without surround sound systems are not allowed to participate?