What's new

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
"Forever" on Amazon Prime might be doing something with aspect ratio. I noticed in the third episode that it's ~2.40, but I think it was 1.77 in the first episode. There's a plot event in the second episode, so it might have shifted. But not sure; haven't checked if it was actually super wide the whole time.

PCRIDE

Agent
Real Name
Speaker
Haven’t heard the podcast yet, not to take away from it here is a quick summary of the history of aspect ratio by the on and only Captain Disillusion

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
"Forever" on Amazon Prime might be doing something with aspect ratio. I noticed in the third episode that it's ~2.40, but I think it was 1.77 in the first episode. There's a plot event in the second episode, so it might have shifted. But not sure; haven't checked if it was actually super wide the whole time.
2.40 from the start. See? The diversification of aspect ratios is becoming so common that you don’t even notice black bars anymore. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I also have to check Mr Robot S4. Episode 7 was very widescreen and now I’m questioning everything I know about watching TV! :laugh:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Some say the world will end in ice, others in fire
From what I've tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire.
But I think that if I should have to perish twice, for destruction vertical video is also nice, and would suffice.

=)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I’ve just been noticing that 2.20:1 seems to be the new hot ratio on Netflix. 2:1 is so 5 years ago! :laugh:

Ratched
Away
Hollywood
The Politician
Lost in Space season 2

all presented in the ratio introduced by Todd-AO.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just saw a brand new made for digital horror movie with William Shatner fighting cave monsters and it was ludicrously framed at 2.55:1!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I just saw a brand new made for digital horror movie with William Shatner fighting cave monsters and it was ludicrously framed at 2.55:1!
Actually the aspect ratio of Devil’s Revenge is 2.76:1, but I honestly don’t get what makes it ludicrous. It’s a valid ratio that’s been used all the way back to 1959.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The ratio itself isn’t ludicrous, but it wasn’t well utilized in the film. The framing wasn’t great and it was almost certainly cropped from a taller spherical image capture, which just has different characteristics than an anamorphic lens on a large format film stock. It wasn’t a well made picture, though despite of or probably because of its flaws, I enjoyed it for what it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks