What's new

HTF PICKS OF THE WEEK - February 13, 2004 (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Werner,

I am so elated with all these recent Warner
Brothers classic releases that I have gotten
into the habit of buying them blindly.

I am really diggin' these films of the '30s & '40s.

Werner_R

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,

All the above titles are also "blind" buys for me, I've never seen any of them. I'm only 27 years old but I really love all these old movies. I have to thank the BBC for a large part of it, I grew up watching all the old movies they were broadcasting. About 80% of my want list of 140 titles are pre 1960's movies.
I have to thank the membership here for supplying me with endless lists of old movies, I've especially appreciated the lists all film-noir lovers supplied, I'm really starting to discover those.

Also, I still have to pick up the recently released Adventures of Robin hood and Dark Passage. I've been buying to many Opera dvd's lately :D (they are damn expensive !)

Thx for keeping this great forum up and running ! Just made my donation...

BrianP

Supporting Actor

I generally prefer to read over posting but that doesn't mean a thread has no interest to me. Also there is no lack of interest in these films on my part because I own all them you recommended, plus Grand Hotel and the Great Ziegfeld released with this current batch. Some of them were blind purchases, while others are upgrades from my laserdisc collection. I'm glad the studios are releasing more of the older films on DVD, and my collection is becoming more concentrated with these classics.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I really like these picks of the week, and I'm thankful you're focusing on older films. I'm in much the same situation, finding great enjoyment in the earlier movies (much of it brought on by the Fox Studio Classics line).
Keep 'em coming.

Don't read too much into that, Ron. The fact that many are viewing this thread - not necessarily the number of replies - demonstrates the level of interest it is generating. What would really be sad is if no one were viewing it.

Jon

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
As others have stated, I read threads but dont always reply.

We do appreciate the heads up on some likely missed titles.

Thanks for the weekly reviews. :)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I need to purchase every one of these titles. Ugh! This is an expensive month!!!

Thanks for the great reviews. Now I'm psyched to get them (have seen them all growing up on TV and looking forward to owning and viewing again on DVD)...

-dave :)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Ron, it's good to see you discovering these forgotten gems and rightly singing their praises to others.

If you want to see an incredible movie from the same era, track down the new Criterion release of Le Corbeau (The Raven), a 1943 French film by Henri-Georges Clouzot--the "French Alfred Hitchcock." It's about the upheaval in a French village after a person going by the moniker the Raven starts sending poison-pen letters to everyone who has a secret to hide. You won't regret it.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Ron, if it helps I'll open this thread at least 10 times a day, and - like Anthony - bump it up every day ( ;) ). Please don't think there is a lack of interest in classics! BTW - have you watched the British version of Gaslight yet? Wonderful stuff!

Keep it up Ron! :emoji_thumbsup:

---
So many films, so little time...

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Hell, there's even less interest in foreign films on this forum (generally speaking).

It's sad that people pass on the opportunity to see the many masterpieces other countries have to offer simply because they would rather not read subtitles.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I'm a selfish HTF member so I just use the forums to acquire info, which is why I post so little (except in the Music forum, where I am king) ;)

My friends tease me because I spend money on my HTF (particularly) sound.. so that I can watch old B&W flicks in mono.

Thanks for the mini-reviews. I don't think I've yet seen Gaslight but will probably by this blind because of Ingrid, whom I love ever so, so much.

Mutiny on the Bounty is a real fun flick. Anything with Laughton is fun, definitely one of the great character actors of all time.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
In my case, I read your reviews with interest, but rarely comment, as I tend to get involved in discussions of films such as these over in movies. I am glad that you are bringing a bit of focus on some films that don’t get much attention today, but that are much loved by many (including me).

Now if we can just get you to begin watching and writing about films with subtitles… ;)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Hey Ron,

I don't have the time to post as much as I used to, but you can be sure that I appreciate your Picks Of The Week! It's great to read about some of the older titles that otherwise don't spark too much discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks