HTF Peer Pressure or Addiction?!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by terence, Jul 13, 2004.

1. terence

terence Supporting Actor

How many of you have been influence by this board to upgrade your speakers/subs, ECT? Is this place addictive or what?! It can be an excited new owner; a well-written test review can give you the upgrade bug. You say to your self “WOW” I want more, can it get any better, and you say YES. Is it because we enjoy the feeling we get buying a new toy for our hobby, or waiting for it to get into our homes. Weather you guys want to admit it or not peer pressure is still here pushing us around after growing so much wiser we still are victims to it. I think it’s a good thing, when you take a look at your gear & say like those slim cigarettes “You come a long way baby!” and I thank all of you who have helped me along the way and I’m sure who will continue too as I keep upgrading. I love this forum and its helpful members; it’s a fun, educational place. I also like how everyone welcomes new members with open arms, eager to help them.

Well that's my take what's yours?

2. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

All you guys are JERKS!!! Im poorer after all these upgrades! [​IMG]

3. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

The fact I have a disfunctional system, and some changes at work might remedy that with new gear [​IMG]

However, my other two hobbies are cars (I want a better clutch ($650 installed), new suspension ($1100-2000 installed), etc.) and digital photography (I actually am happy with my current rig, so it will stay put)

Last year, I paid off my car and spent $2,000 on my camera, so I am not rollin' in cash, but a FAT raise is hopefully in the cards.

I seriously need to make 6-digits to do everything I want.

4. terence

terence Supporting Actor

If i did make 6 figures i would be out of control with this stuff! Sometimes i wonder if i'm in love with chasing perfect sound, and if i ever achieve it then what? What's next after that or maybe what i have is all i need in the first place....naw i do want to make some more changes later when i get a basement.

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

I don't think this board has influenced me towards purchasing more costly goods, but I do think it has influenced me towards purchasing the right goods.

Had it not been for the excellent information found in the various sections of the forum, I wouldn't have gone with DIY subs. I also wouldn't have realiezed that Yamaha has a more neutral sound with their products because I had sworn to never buy another Yamaha receiver. However, there's one that I'm using now and love it. [​IMG]

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Wayne hit the nail on the head for me. While this board doesn't convince me to upgrade anything, it influences me towards which goods to purchase.

The influence can work both ways though.

7. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I'd still be buying every generation of "superior" Monster Cable if it weren't for this forum.

8. Steve_Wingman

If it wasn't for this fourum, SVS/HSU would have been just other websites to look at! I find several things on this board helpfull in spending cash wisely for better gear through the members posts/reviews. Fourms like this one can create the addiction by building up the desire to reach the same ultimate whatever that the last poster had raved about. And it has proven to me that what ever I think I'll spend on a piece of equipment I'd better double it or else.
    Now back to checking out new receivers...
    -Steve

9. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

nooo joey u dont need separates.... stop it! [​IMG]

10. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    What Wayne said. Though I might be spending a bit more time on this and similar forums than I should. It's the search for some form of adult contact (am a stay at home dad with a three year old).

11. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Second Wayne's sentiments, the board has really helped me a lot in all of my HT Decisions and also welcomed me as a relatively new member as well. All the queries i had never went unanswered and im thankful to all the guys who helped me in so many decisions and upgrades. I would never have found out the wonders of FP if it wasnt for this board and would have still been drooling over those big HDTV's instead. The same goes for the rest of my setup. Three Cheers to HTF and its members!! [​IMG]

12. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    I'd say this forum influenced me to spend more when I first got my HT setup (audio portion: receiver and speakers + sub), but I haven't been tempted into upgrading those. As for the video portion, at the time I bought the audio stuff I had a 29" 4:3 Wega, which I knew I was upgrading sometime in the future, so this board didn't affect me in that respect. Now that I have, the only remaining thing to "upgrade" will be the DVD player, and this board contributes to my knowledge of my options. Once that's done, I daresay no upgrades of major components for a while (i.e. a few years), barring failure and replacement; I wouldn't rule out tweaks like a BFD, though.

13. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

quote:

"I'd still be buying every generation of "superior" Monster Cable if it weren't for this forum."

Ah! [​IMG] Cases such as this is what makes it all worthy posting advice (unsolicited and otherwise)...spite of the "flaming" one receives from the gullible-minded from time to time... [​IMG]

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

14. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

The forums here haven't caused me to spend more money just for the sake of "bigger and better", but they have given me all the info I needed to spend wisely. I know people who have spent HUGE dollars on their HT stuff, and I can't say that theirs sounds or looks any better than mine. I've learned how to spend the money where it counts and where I can skimp a little without ever knowing the difference. From time to time we get the little, "it must be nice to be rich" quotes, but that's not the case. Better informed can beat a fatter wallet on many occasions, and these forums have definately kept me better informed.