What's new

HTF OFFICIAL REVIEW: The NeverEnding Story (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
3263.jpg

The NeverEnding Story

Young Bastian is a child with an imagination.
Perhaps it's the fact that he recently lost his
Mother, and now spends his days reading books and
keeping his head above the clouds. So much so,
in fact, that his father pleads with him to
"stop daydreaming and start facing your problems".
Bastian's problems is that he is a kid who
has problems in school and constantly is being
chased by the neighborhood bullies. One day he
gets chased into an old bookstore where he meets
a crusty old bookkeeper. It is there that he is
told about an "unsafe" book that turns out to be
titled, The NeverEnding Story.
Chalk this DVD up to being another one of those
titles that has been on Warner's most wanted list
since coming into DVD in 1997. It's no wonder why
this movie has been on the demand list -- it's a
wildly imaginative story that was like no other
when it first appeared theatrically in 1984. Leave
it to the noted visual director, Wolfgang Peterson,
to bring the most imaginative dream-like film to
the screen. With the help of some of the most
talented technical gurus in film history, this is
a film that visually unlocks all our minds and takes
us into the world of Fantasia with charcters of the
likes of Night Hob, Rock Biter and Falkor.
The DVD is released 2-sided with both PAN & SCAN
and WIDESCREEN versions (imagine that!). I, of
course, opted to watch the film in its correct
film ratio. It was actually a thrill to see this
presented widescreen on Home Video. Up until this
DVD, I still had the original VHS release (which
incidently was one of Warner's first HI-FI STEREO
VHS titles back in the mid 80's).
I had just completed watching The Mummy Returns,
so it may be awfully unfair to say that I was
a bit saddened by the picture quality of
NeverEnding Story. Although the transfer
is generally very good, the DVD format does enhance
the film's age. Colors are not as vivid as one
would like. There is noticeable grain in the picture
detail. This was obviously not a film that was
was painfully restored, nor should it have been.
The sound, on the other hand, was more encouraging.
Though this DVD is presented Dolby Digital, it is
not a 5.1 mix. The audio is very robust, and my
rear speakers gave off some ambient music throughout
the film. What I did enjoy, was the rumblings from
my SVS subwoofer as THE NOTHING trampled its way
through the woods of Fantasia.
The supplements aren't much to brag about. There
are very basic pages that list cast members (without
giving extensive biographies). There are also
rather useless character bios that really don't
add much to the overall content. A theatrical
trailer is also included.
There is no doubt that The NeverEnding Story
is a DVD that belongs in every collection. It takes
us back to a time when we were kids and immersed
ourselves into books. It brings out our most
innermost dreams of becoming part of the story,
interacting with its characters, and ultimately
realizing how cool it would be if we, the reader,
could change the fate of the story by letting our
own imagination run wild.
Release Date: Available Now
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Thanks Ron for your review. :)
Coincidentally I've just finished watching the film myself - the first time in over ten years. I too had the pan/scam VHS in the 80's, and I watched it to death... and now I have the DVD.
Having been so familiar with the cropped version, it was an absolute revelation to see The Neverending Story in its full scope glory. Terrific composition. This is one for widescreen.org to showcase.
DVD quality: good, not great. Better than I expected. However, because Warner wasted one side on pan/scam, there is only a single layer for widescreen data (no DVD-18!), and I noticed several MPEG encoding problems, most evident in the opening credits. Not too offensive. I thought that the colours were very good, and edge enhancement scarcely visible (hooray!).
The soundtrack for this movie, as everyone knows, is superb. I thought the DVD sound mix was a little sub-par (it seemed too confined to the centre-channel). Maybe Pro-Logic-II will help out...
The only significant DVD extra is the trailer - however, for a single-layered DVD, I'm quite happy there wasn't more.
I'd agree with Ron that everyone needs The Neverending Story in their collection. Everyone, that is, who has young kids, or who grew up in the early 80's, or who has time for an imaginative, intriguing, non-cynical film like this.
But having said that, Michael Ende's book is even better.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
quote: There is no doubt that The NeverEnding Story is a DVD that belongs in every collection.[/quote]
I totally agree with that. The NeverEnding Story is a great fantasy film that most people should love.
I do agree also that Michael Ende's book is much better than the film. The film takes most (not all) of the first half of the book and adds in a new ending. The NeverEnding Story II through, takes in some of the themes from the second half of the book, but adds in more characters and subplots that were just horrific and made the film even worse (but then again, The NeverEnding Story II is just horrible itself).
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."
[Edited last by Matthew Chmiel on September 12, 2001 at 04:45 PM]

Lafe F

Second Unit
I noticed Warner did not include the "Box Office Bunny" cartoon on the Neverending Story II disc.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I don't really believe there's any such thing as a disc that belongs in EVERYONE'S collection. I mean, there isn't one movie that everyone loves. However, this one is hard to hate :).
-Tom
------------------
There is nothing wrong with any of the surrounds on your Forrest Gump DVD! It's ok!!!

Ben_S

Agent
This is one of the best movies to watch as a kid and has a very special meaning to me and no doubt a lot of other people. Seeing it for the first time in many many years and in widescreen almost brought tears to my eyes. The transfer is fantastic and the musical score has never sounded better. I think it's one of the best fantasy film scores ever.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
Sweet. I remember watching this one when I was 6-7 the part with the wolf scared the piss out of me every single time. None the less a wonderful movie. Pecae
------------------
"Come on, you fuckers think that just cause a guy reads comics he can't start some shit, I'll fucking take all you on!"
Beavis and Butthead on DVD
Family Guy on DVD

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Hey Matthew-
Have you seen The NeverEnding Story III? It makes the second one look so much better!!!!
On that note, I have both of the NeverEnding Story discs and I'm glad to have them, all though I was hoping for more supplements.
You guys are right, the movie should be used for widescreen demonstrations. I never knew what I was missing!
-Nate
------------------
"What if he honks in the car?"
"I'm giving you a no honk guaruntee."

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
I've never seen this one and I am wondering if children of ages 6 & 8 would enjoy it (or is it over their heads)?
My brother and I used to watch this a lot at that age span. Gmork used to scare us a little bit, but nothing that made us not enjoy the movie. There is plenty in it for the kids and not too much of it will be over their heads.
Even having "grown up", I still enjoy this movie very much.
Highly recommended.
------------------
My DVD's
If a movie is not available in OAR, than it might as well not be available at all.

Roland Wandinger

Stunt Coordinator
I remember vividly my visit to the Bavaria Film Studios in Munich were they show a lot of props from the movie like the southern Oracle and the Luckdragon.
I saw this movie maybe 5 times in cinemas and countless times on VHS. Some years ago I bought the LD and know the DVD.
I was a little disappointed by the sound of the DVD compared to the LD so I synched the picture of the DVD to the sound of the LD -> the best you can watch this movie at home!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
the best you can watch this movie at home!
Agreed. The sound was good overall but a bit "dampened" or dull sounding. It didn't have the richness of the PCM on the LD.
I've noticed this is almost ALWAYS the case with 2.0 DD soundtracks. If they would just encode 2.0 (and mono) soundtracks with the same 384 or 448 data-rate as 5.1 I'd bet they'd sound a whole lot better.
-dave

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Am I the only person who still chuckles when they realize that 'The Neverending Story' has a sequel? How did they know where to start?
:)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Good point. . .then again, how could a "neverending story" HAVE a sequel? By definition, a sequel comes *afterwards*. . .
:)

Roland Wandinger

Stunt Coordinator
If they would just encode 2.0 (and mono) soundtracks with the same 384 or 448 data-rate as 5.1 I'd bet they'd sound a whole lot better.
...and it wouldn't even take up too much space on the DVD as a full 1500kbps LPCM track might. This whole "stereo and mono in DD 192kbps only" thing is just wrong!

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
Roland,
I took the same tour of Bavaria studios and you're correct about the props. The kids could even have a video of them flying on the back of the Luck dragon. If anyone gets the chance, go by the studios in the south of Munich. You'll see a full scale "Das Boot", sets from "Enemy Mine" as well as others.

Matthew_S

Second Unit
I'm with Al Brown.
"Mr. Simpson, this is the most blatant case of fraudulent advertising since my suit against the film, "The Never-Ending Story""-L. Hutz

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks