What's new

HTF NHL2K3 League? (1 Viewer)

Brian J Dupuis

Second Unit
Since I love hearing myself speak, I'll post another update. I've added a requested bit of functionality to the schedule proposal page. Now, you'll be able to see your and your opponent's scheduled or proposed events when you are trying to schedule a game. That way, you won't propose a time that is already taken by someone else. Give it a shot and let me know of any problems you have with it.
I intend to redo the "preferred playing times" feature in the user details to be a checkbox matrix of some kind, so that when proposing times you'll also easily be able to see which times your opponent said he prefers. I'll try to get that in soon, as well as the vacation stuff, since I know at least one of us will be going on vacation pretty soon.
Enjoy guys! Looks like the Caps are coming on strong, with the Wings and Isles fighting it out for second... isyoox must have paid off the refs :)

WillY

Stunt Coordinator
I just want my real life counterparts to make the playoffs. When Jagr and Bondra come out of their slumps, the Caps are going to be silly...

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully I will be picking up Live and NHL2K3 tomorrow morning. If anyone's interested in getting a game going, provided everything goes smoothly, let me know.

WillY

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, the Caps exploded for 12 goals! I actually played a friend to a 12-2 score, so maybe if I keep winning my real life counterparts will mirror me...

WillY

Stunt Coordinator
But I was home, as I have been for most of my games this season. I feel like the home team has an advantage in the game besides ping. For one, I can score better going up than going down, so as the home team I am going up for two periods and down for only one. Also, I swear when you are the away team shots that normally would go in hit the post a lot more and are saved by the goalie more often. I think you had a couple of those (I was thinking to myself thank goodness I am the home team).

The standings will even out as more games are played and people catch up in skill. I still need to learn how to score on one timers and coming from around the goal. Someone was really good at wrap arounds from what I remember.

Brian J Dupuis

Second Unit
Yeah, the scheduling leaves much to be desired. And Washington, being the last team alphabetically, got one of the worst schedules in terms of "randomness" of home/away. Sorry about that! I'll try to work on it before next season :b.

And somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it somewhat random who goes "upscreen" for two periods and who comes "down"? I'm almost certain I've played some home games heading "downscreen". Am I crazy?

WillY

Stunt Coordinator
I have randomly gone down for 2 periods as the home team, but I don't know how that happened.

Looking forward to playing Boston, the last undefeated team in the league. I use to use Boston back in the days of NHL 93 or so. You could take good ol' 77 straight up the middle and score like 20 goals a game, he couldn't be checked off the puck. Ah the realism...

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
Bring it on! :D Looks like I'll see you in a week or two. Merlot aught to give me a run for my money, but I'll try to keep my streak going just for you. ;)

Brian J Dupuis

Second Unit
Just wait, man... if isyoox doesn't get you in week 9, prepare to have fear in week 10!

Or something :b... maybe mild heartburn?

WillY

Stunt Coordinator
What's with the week or two? I need someone to propose some game times, come on, I'm ready to go.

Jagr is blowing up for the Caps, hopefully I can do the same. 11 points in 2 games, ridiculous!

How do the playoffs work for our league?

Brian J Dupuis

Second Unit
How do the playoffs work for our league?
Haven't decided. When I originally came up with the concept of the league, it was just that... a league with the scheduled games. If you guys are interested in a playoff system, I'll get it set up. Ideas on how to put it together?

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
Will, I've got a few games to get through before I can play you (scheduling).

Brian, I'd say just take everyone in the league and seed them according to a standard tourney tree. Make the final game and maybe the semis a "best of" series with home/away depending on season records. We wouldn't want to make the playoffs too long to put off season 2, but I think it's worth having something to end the season.

David Broome

Stunt Coordinator
You know what I wish? I wish game developers would put 'spectator' as an option instead of player so that a bunch of us could all log in together and whatch each game in the playoffs without being forced to control a player. that would come in handy for leagues like this where not everyone is honest (not implying that this league has dishonest players, just that there are other leagues like ours that might have players who are dishonest). You could have to have a 'witness' player who just watches and reports the score...

Brian J Dupuis

Second Unit
Daren/anyone else,
Good idea... single elim, double elim? I'm thinking double, personally.
David,
No joke, that would be nice. I think maybe the next iteration/generation of console online games might have such features. They've been around for quite a while in PC gaming: I can't tell you how many CPMA/RA3 (Quake 3 Arena competition mods, for those of you not familiar) games I've participated in and had spectators from my clan watching or vice-versa... it's a fantastic experience that would only be enhanced (IMHO) by the voice capabilities implicit in Xbox Live. Though I really think we're more like 2 generations away from that, with the relative newness of mature, broadband online console gaming. I'll keep my fingers crossed!
And don't get me started on cheaters :angry:. Through a bug in RA3, my clan caught (and recorded) another clan with an auto-aim bot in a clan match. Grr... oh that ticked me. Didn't help that the league managers essentially slapped them on the wrist, even though it would have been next to impossible to catch them in the act the next time unless the same fluky bug happenned again. Grr again. Phew! Back to pucks :).

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I'd say double elmination.

That way you wouldn't play a whole season have one bad game, and be done.

That's just my thought.

Also, we should have a standard set of rules for game speed, etc. I've seen that be different on a few games.

Glen

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks