What's new

DVD Review HTF MINI-REVIEW: The Lord of The Rings Trilogy: Limited Edition (1 Viewer)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I think the 3D version will be a couple of years away like the SW films and from what I read, it needs to be a digital projector but it doesn't work in the home environment (not yet anyway :) )

Will be waiting for the HD release now.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Just saw those latest screen caps Sam....and yes...a rather disappointing transfer considering it's been a few years since the original EE's came out.

Well, I haven't bought a film dvd in some time (just the Firefly series :)..) waiting and saving for future HD versions. LOTR will get it's day soon on HD. :)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Waiting for HD!

:D

Sam,

thanks for digging into this new edition to answer all of our PQ questions. That's a real help... especially with the screen caps. I'm also disgusted that the documentary is only 4x3 lbx and not 16x9 like all the *gorgeous* documentaries on the EE sets.

Semantics are important here. The "transfer" means the film-to-digital scan, which may be one and the same for both DVD copies. There's a lot of digital processing that goes on subsequently after the transfer (filtering, color-balancing, downscaling, MPEG compression) and these other aspects are more likely the cause of any differences between the two images.

Looks like the R2 versions still far-outshine the R1... even in this case!

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I got an RCA HDMI upconversion dvd player.. I played the theatre version of two towers.. looked great to me.
no need to update on the new set! I would admit that I like the covers for it.

Jacob

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C

Not a chance. Hell, if my existing copies of the films happened to get stolen or scratched beyond repair, I'd rebuy the old editions. Having to flip discs to watch the theatrical cuts killed this set for me.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean

Well, that is the intention with this. Make no mistake. But I'm not buying into that timeline.

I think 2008 would be the latest it will be released on HD DVD (and BD), not the earliest. I think that there are two realistic release windows for 2007, Spring and late Fall/holiday season. It won't show up early in the year, that is pretty certain. And it won't show up during the Summer, because dick is released on home video in the Summer.

My bet would be late 2007, like November (though I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Spring).

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
According to IGN.com's reviews, the new documentaries don't really add any meaningful knowledge to the extensive supplements on the previous sets. That just reinforces my decision to pass on this release.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
They are the official site, but one that is as reliable as all marketing is :D They are selling the 2006 LE product...not the HD product. So take anything they say about another product with a grain of salt :)

Any locations have full views of the packaging and discs.

I really love the packagaing, I must admit. Maybe enough to splurge on $16 copies at amazon.

Maybe not...I'd need to know what I was getting.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
[Ticks Star Wars OT and Blade Runner] Okay the new LOTR set, anyone bothering with this? tsk tsk. Not even the die-hard fans? The LOTR completists? Incredible, that's human nature for you. [ticks LOTR] ;)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I was tempted here becuase I dont own the trilogy and have never seen the extended cuts.

It would have been nice to have both cuts in one package. Im not the fan most here are but in case I ever want to see them... you know.

Guess Ill wait.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Anyone know where I can find menu shots of these? I'm quite curious.

Saw these in the store today. Very attractive packaging....

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I am weak.

There I was in Best Buy yesterday admiring the new DVD packaging for the Lord of the Rings. Nevermind, I had created custom covers that looked very similar (from the outside, anyway) and that I already owned the Theatrical and EEs. There was a strong urge to buy them (at least FotR) and check them out.

I didn't realize that the front picture inside the colored framing was actually slightly emdbedded inside. Does it open up to reveal a fuller picture? Do those titles still run across the picture or do they lift out as well? How exactly do you get the discs out? ... and more importantly, why do I care?? Then of course I start thinking things like "Hey, maybe those docs are really good!"

Then, I came to my senses. Am I gonna buy this just for the packaging? I will never watch the movies on a flipper. I own a changer, so I don't even need to get up during the disc switch.

Shakily, I returned the DVDs to their rack and left with Arrested Development and The Tick.

One day at a time....

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ric, if you hit the link on post #66 and scroll to the bottom, there's an image of how the packaging folds out.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Ray,

Beautiful packaging! From what I can see, the titles are on the window and lift off of the front picture, very nice. I still intend for my next LotR purchase to be of an HD variety. I hope they come in similar cases!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks