What's new

DVD Review HTF MINI-REVIEW: The Lord of The Rings Trilogy: Limited Edition (1 Viewer)

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
Matt, could you tell me if there is any kind of subtitles or CC for the new documentary pieces?

Thanks a lot.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking about picking these up, but since I haven't even watched all the crap on the EE discs it probably wouldn't be the smartest move. I'll pass on this release and wait for the inevitable HD versions next year.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Thanks for the review, Matt, although like many of us, my next LOTR purchase will be the HD DVD versions.

- Steve

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
But guys, this isn't really a double dip! The main feature here is the new documentary! The movies themselves are just fun BONUS MATERIAL!!!!!

*insane laugh*

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Ooooohhhh!
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
I'm sold!:D

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Ah s**t! You mean they are not anamorphic?! ...Because apparently that's the definition of bonus material these days!

CoreyII

Second Unit
I'm happy with my four disc set of the films. Looks like New Line is going to treat the LOTR trilogy just like Lucasfilms treats it's trilogies. Let the milking of the fans begin.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I would have considered at least buying Fellowship IF a new transfer had been done. For today's standards and compared to 'Two Towers' and 'King,' Fellowship lacks the transfer quality it deserves.

PattyFraser

Second Unit
Thanks Mike. That's one temptation that's removed from me. I will wait till the HD versions are released, for sure.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Yeah well I'm buying them for the dvd covers and extras, hey it's only money. ;)

And I'll buy them again when I move to HD-DVD sometime in 2020.

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator
I think thearical and EE versions I have now will suffice until I upgrade them to HD. Although the non-anamorphic bonus versions are very tempting.

Chris

GlennWD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Glenn DelRossi
I will be buying these three movies again for the third time, which I don't really have a problem with as most people seem to, because they are three of my favorite films. I will probably never watch the movies on these discs though, I'll stick to watching my original extended editions which have those great audio commentaries. Im only buying these new sets for the brand new documentaries, which I hope will be worth my money.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
"Fellowship" has always looked a bit soft and filtered to me. Two Towers a bit too. The only one that really shined was "Return" IMHO. I bought the R2 PAL versions and they look MUCH better. Much more detailed. They were also pitch adjusted so even though it's still sped up in speed, it doesn't have that 1/2 step pitch increase. Bjoern did a wonderful comparison of all the previous releases...
http://www.videophile.info/Review/FOTR/FOTR_01.htm

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
I don't understand how it could be the same transfer if it's seamlessly branched. I mean, we know the EE's had a completely new and seperate transfer from the theatrical editions because they weren't even FINISHED when the theatricals were released. Quite a bit of the footage is completely different between the two. Did they just edit the theatrical and EE transfers together for this release? If so, is there any difference in quality between the footage that is uniquely theatrical and the footage that is uniquely EE?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I didn't say it was the same transfer, but the quality looks on par with the Extended Editions. I haven't had time to go through each of the three films with a fine tooth comb yet, but my guess is that the quality is consistant.

RainC

Auditioning
As per usual an affective summation on the situation Peter Raber. While I have not purchses this edition, I continue to be guided by your evaluation of the situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks