HTF Member to the Rescue!!!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Diallo B, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

Long but fun story!

the day after christmas I am visiting with the family of a female friend and POOF! their 10 year old 50 inch Zenith RPTV dies. smoke and everything. I had seen the tv before. It was in dire need of calibration and the red gun was all jacked up but they didn't mind it so i really never brought it up. they all think that i am too anal about things that we htf members value.

anyway, the family had planned on watching a number of dvd's that night and had a slew of people coming over. It was about 1pm at this point so they were getting ready to cancel the event. When all of the sudden HTF Man showed up to save the day.

I told them that they could have a new t.v. there within 2 hours and set up within about a 3rd hour if they gave me a realistic budget to work with. They told me 2000.00 and off i went to abc warehouse. if anyone is near an abc warehouse if you need a deal worked out GO THERE!

i walked right in and told the first person that i saw you have a sale on a 50"+ hdtv if you can have it delivered today before 4pm. (keep in mind it is the day after christmas) needless to say, he busted his ass trying to get it done.

so we figured delivery out but now i needed a tv. i am partial to toshibas because i have a few of them. he had a 57" 57H84 in stock for 1899.99. I told him that if he tossed in the 5 year warranty that cost 399.99 he had a deal. we fussed for a bit and i about walked out the door but he wilted. so i got the t.v., the five year warranty and the t.v. delivered that day for 1899.99 plus tax and 30 bux for delivery. and they tossed in some lame knife set. lol.

so the t.v. gets delivered at about 3:40 and i have it set up and ready to go by 5:30 with the t.v. running component and optical from the dvd player and the cable box and everything running through their barely halfway decent pioneer HTiB 7.1 system that doesn't sound THAT bad. (i grabbed some spare connects from my house on the way back to their house.) i also, did as quick a 56 point convergence as it is easily accessed using the remote.

once again needless to say, the difference in the set up was miraculous. everyone was impressed with the difference in video and audio quality. the movie party went off very well with the new equipment.

i used to be just the computer repair man. now i am also home video installer as i have 3 other folks asking me when and how i can help upgrade their systems.

This could not have been accomplished without the things that i have learned here at HTF, AVS, HTS and a couple more sites.

just wanted to share folks. happy new year!

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

What?!?! No front projection!?!? [​IMG]

Good work, Diallo!

3. BrettB

BrettB Producer

What color are your tights? [​IMG]

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Nice story.

5. Rob FM

Rob FM Second Unit

R

LOL !!

6. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Diallo, are you african?

--
    H

7. Haggai

Haggai Producer

OK, not getting the tights thing over here...is there a reference to something that I'm missing?

And yes, great story!

8. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

All superheroes wear tights!

9. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

To the rescue...ya know, like Superman...tights, come on Haggai, your quicker than that.

10. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Phd in Math and all [​IMG]

--
    H

11. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Heh, yes, that was quite the embarassingly obvious generic reference to miss. I hope we'll stick to singing Diallo's praises instead of having more fun at my expense, but it's ok, I can take it. [​IMG]

12. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Of course! Because besides being good at math, you have started to, ahem, "see beyond yourself and your needs, and you have a sense of humor about yourself and an open mind" now, no doubt. [​IMG]

Diallo,

Great story!

Cees

13. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Yes, it's true. Being worshipped by Julia Roberts brings out the best in everyone.

14. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

holadem, only the name is african. born and bred in the good ole' u. s. of a.

brett, the tights are always red. bright red. i have to be seen!

haggai, big miss. lol. what's funny is that i have a bachelor's of science in mathematics or more specifically actuarial sciences. i don't know too many people with mathematics degrees. go figure!

15. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

a) "Leave everything to me!"
    b) Red tights

My god, Diallo! You're...

[​IMG]

"Powdered...Toast...Ma-a-a-a-a-an!"

16. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Did they like the knife set?

17. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

I shopped for my MIL getting a Christmas Eve delivery to her house on a new display for the den. Did not have to hook this up (yet, it needs tweaking). Which was nice, because Thanksgiving I was crawling behind her big screen redoing cables after the E* repairman had been onsite to replace their STB and left audio connections unhooked on different video feeds.

i used to be just the computer repair man. now i am also home video installer as i have 3 other folks asking me when and how i can help upgrade their systems

a new career on your horizon? My husband keeps telling me I would have fun working at a B&M electronics store, he’s prob right.

Great Story

knife set..... "BUT WAIT...YOU ALSO GET>>>" [​IMG]