What's new

HTF lingo... (1 Viewer)

Jason Co

Second Unit
Okay I admit it. When I first started in this forum I had no idea what WAF meant. Don't even get me started on IMHO. Are there any other sayings that a noob needs to be aware of in here? I think we should feel free to come up with some new abbreviations or acronyms to use this humble thread as a dictionary of sorts.....or not.

DLYML (Don't let your meat loaf)

Jason

Jason Co

Second Unit
Good one Jasen...Wait Till Friday....very nice. BTW you might want to spell check your post. Jason is spelled with an o....sheeesh!

JasOn

Denward

Supporting Actor
Most of this stuff is not HTF specific but different shorthands that have evolved in forums and chat rooms.

AFAIK - As far as I know
HTiB or HTB - Home Theater in a Box
IBTL - In Between the Lines
IIRC - If I Recall Correctly
YMMV - Your mileage may vary

Don't get me started on all the movie title acronyms. It took me a long time to figure out BTTF.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
what's j6p (i think it's related to tv)? what about dh? i asked about that one in one of the baseball threads, but no one replied.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Joe six-pack (J6p), is a pejorative term referring to the unenlightened masses who prefer to watch pan & scan movies (rather than Original Aspect Ratio (OAR)) on 4:3, non-digital sets (still in their picture settings provided by the manufacturer), using the display’s sound system (instead of 500 watts powering seven speakers and a couple of powered subwoofers).
I’m not actually sure if you need to drink beer or not. :D
I don’t know the baseball thread to which you refer, but ‘dh’ usually refers to the ‘designated hitter’, in baseball discussions.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
didn't saurav start ibtl?

i use some of the following too:

b&m = brick and mortar store (circuit city, etc.)
fwiw = for what it's worth
imo = in my opinion
imho = im my honest opinion
lol = laugh out loud
rotflmao = rolling on the floor laughing my ass off
brb = be right back
sol = s**t out of luck
syh = screw you hippie (have to be a south park fan i guess)

ttyl (talk/type to ya later)

ted

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
A quick search shows that I was wrong :b, Patrick Sun used it here 8 (EIGTH) months before I did in May 2002. It was never used in between! :eek:
Which probably explain the reaction to my post , leading me to believe I started it (that thread actually became more about IBTL than the friggin Outlaw 950). Oh well, there goes my shot at HTF notoriety :D
--
Holadem

Kevin P

Screenwriter
My claim to fame is coining the term MAR* a year or two ago, during the Willy Wonka debacle. And it actually stuck! :)
* MAR = Modified, or Mutilated Aspect Ratio - as in the opposite of OAR.
And it looks like one of my quotes stuck in Dana's sig! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks